Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Where do we go from here?

belial_77

[1]Sep 21, 2007
    • level: 17

So, there's alot of talk over what we'd like the next Trek series to be... Personally I like the idea of a Section 31 show... kinda like Torchwood, only in the future... they could patch a ton of continuity holes fans fuss over... have some way cool tech (like the Phasic Cloak in "Pegasus", or parts from the Borg in "Regeneration", etc...)

So far this is the best idea for takeing the franchise in a new direction and keeping most fans happy, while gaining new ones.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

beowulf579

[2]Sep 24, 2007
    • level: 59
    Now while I like the Section 31 angle....alot of traditional non-DS9 fans might not like the whole Section 31 storyline.

And those that liked the happy go lucky TOS type of feel really probably won't like the sneaky working in the shadows type of stories that Section 31 would make.

Now don't get me wrong....I still think a mini series based on Section 31 through the Trek franchises would be cool.

ENT- Section 31's official founding
    TOS- A operative on the ill fated Defiant, that was somewhat responsible for it going to the Mirror Universe.
    TNG- The Pegasus story with an ensign Riker, leading up to the disaster.
    DS9- Pre Dominion war intelligence and deciding that Bashir would make a good agent.
    VOY- A journal like story...having the agent narrating all the info he steals about alien tech and such. Ending the narration with his death in a random episode of Voyager.
    Or an ep showing where the organization is heading to into the 25th century..including the secret plans for the future Enterprise J.

belial_77

[3]Sep 24, 2007
    I dunno... I think old TOS fans would like it, if we incorporated the basic ideas and themes of exploration... and tng era trekkies would like the shiny tech... I like some of those ideas... maybe a series of direct to dvd movies? But I was thinking like seriously borrowing some of the ideas from Torchwood tho... the whole alienation from society making the individuals almost monsters them selves... which could be reflected as a contrast to Rodneberry's idealistic Federation life... so it would serve to highlight the progress of man through such character contrasts...

DSJAM

[4]Oct 5, 2007
    • level: 4
    I like the idea of a section 31 mini series,but honestly I think if you're going to stay in the TNG era the only thing left to do is have a series based on an alien ship. A klingon or Romulan crew could be interesting. Otherwise I think the TNG era has been completely mined for ideas.

Mafeu

[5]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 69
    I like the "Section 31" idea, it could show a much darker edge than the average Star Trek series could.

BBLaze2

[6]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 5

Naw a section 31 series would put the final nail in Star Trek's coffin. With the ratings decline starting in DS9 due to the dark overtones and different format. The continued decline in Voyager for the different formate and technobable, and then the piss poor writing in Enterprise. The goal would be to not only reclaim the old audience but to expand it, getting more people to watch it. A Section 31 series would offer nothing for a new viewing audience since they would have to go back and watch the other series to understand it. As far as the current star trek audience well I wouldn't want to watch it nor would 90 percent of star trek fans. No the future of Star Trek lies not in the past but in the future. Much like the time gap between TOS and TNG, since TNG is responsible for the largest fan base star trek has seen the only...logical way a new series can be done is setting it in the 25th century on a new Enterprise with a new crew and new missions. Possible travel to new galaxies with a new means of faster than light travel. The ideas are endless but the people who are running star trek right now are morons, they missused the potentail that Enterprise had by have poor story lines, piss and fart jokes and needless sex (decon sessions while nice don't feel like true Trek). And now with this new movie going back to TOS not only with out the original cast but before the series began, this movie will bomb big time and star trek will either be put on hold for twenty years or us fans will be forced feed this type of crap.

So we has fans have to tell these guys to stop screwing with OUR show. Do as I have email them and get your friends to do so as well (even if they don't like star trek) and tell them to get it right. I have yet to hear back though but I was kind of rude in my email.

have a nice day

belial_77

[7]Oct 11, 2007
    What I was sayin, is a Section 31 show, if done right, would bring in new fans... admittedly, it would alienate many older fans, but they would hate pretty much anything out there they hadn't thought of... but with the growing success of conspiracy sci-fi from x-files days to torchwood... it would provide a nice frame work for a show... with tie ins to other series, but not having to watch them to understand what's going on... once again, like how Torchwood incorporates other parts of the Whoniverse, but you don't have to watch the 40 years worth of shows (and that god-awful 90's made for TV movie) to know what's up.... I think it would get a lot of peeps who think Trek is "too Geeky" into it... of course, Ron Moore would have to take over the franchise... hopefully through a bloody and vicious cop...

Ghost_loy

[8]Oct 15, 2007
    • level: 6
    I don't think there will be another StarTrek Series until the movie is released.
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0796366/
    Then depending on how will that does I'll feel confident in another StarTrek Show.

belial_77

[9]Oct 15, 2007
    Well, that's a given tho... we're just talking about the direction the franchise should take in orrder to restor it to its previous glory, or find a new home in the hearts of fans... we know nothings going to happen for at least a couple of years, but its good to come-up with ideas for our next move...

sfviewer

[10]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 27
    star trek voyager was my favorite, they can make another show with a different star ship in the same timeline as voyager.

heeroyuy2006

[12]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 8
    There's been a new animated series proposed that would take place in 2528 about a future USS Enterprise which deals with the devastating results of a Federation-Romulan War. The series would be similar, length-wise at least, to Star Wars: Clone Wars in that the episodes would be only about 6 minutes long and probably shown on both startrek.com and television. You can find out more info if you want at http://www.trekmovie.com/2006/12/13/cbs-considering-new-animated-trek-series/#more-358 . Also, if Star Trek ( 2008 ) is sucessful, it is reasonable to believe that a new series would be spun off perhaps a series with Captain Pike or Captain April in command of the Enterprise.
    Edited on 11/05/2007 7:08pm

SRP76

[13]Nov 10, 2007
    • level: 10
    I don't think more can really be done, without introducing new technology.

The entire Milky Way has been conquered, pretty much. The Federation is prevalent throughout the Alpha and Beta Quadrants; the Dominion has been defeated, and they're the "power" in the Gamma Quadrant; the Borg are, for all intents and purposes, totally wiped out, and they were the biggest threat out of the Delta Quadrant.

In short, there are no more nemeses to be had in the home galaxy.

The only way to really continue would be to find a way to the Andromeda galaxy. There, they could find new races, new enemies, and so forth.

heeroyuy2006

[14]Nov 11, 2007
    • level: 8
    SRP76 wrote:
    I don't think more can really be done, without introducing new technology. The entire Milky Way has been conquered, pretty much. The Federation is prevalent throughout the Alpha and Beta Quadrants; the Dominion has been defeated, and they're the "power" in the Gamma Quadrant; the Borg are, for all intents and purposes, totally wiped out, and they were the biggest threat out of the Delta Quadrant. In short, there are no more nemeses to be had in the home galaxy. The only way to really continue would be to find a way to the Andromeda galaxy. There, they could find new races, new enemies, and so forth.
    I get what you're saying, but there's still large parts of the Gamma and Delta quadrants (and possibly parts of the Beta Quadrant as well) not explored yet by the Federation which means more potential nemeses (by the way, is this the right plural for nemesis?) remain. Also, there's the alien parasites from TNG's "Conspiracy" that would make an interesting threat, though maybe too similar to the threat of the Founders impersonating Starfleet and Federation personnel. Another possibility would be to have a full-scale invasion of the Milky Way by the Kelvan Empire of Andromeda as a sequel to the TOS's "By Any Other Name". However, it would be nice to eventually have a Trek series, maybe set in the 28th or 29th century) explore Andromeda Galaxy or another galaxy.

Lazdude

[15]Nov 16, 2007
    • level: 6
    It really depends how the movie turns out and if it is infact a reboot of the franchise. I have always wanted a series set in the era of the original movies, either based on the Excelsior or Enterprise B. Thats when Star Trek was it its best, the Klingons were still the enemy, the Romulans were still mysterious, and Starfleet was taking its first steps in the universe. I truly beleive that is the best direction for the future of the franchise - going back to their roots.

beowulf579

[16]Nov 19, 2007
    • level: 59
    I always thought they might try another animated series. Might sound hokey but think about a reboot within an animated world. Samurai Jack meets Trek....ok, just joking on that. But think of some great storytelling mixed within something like the animatrix type of animation. It could be quite interesting indeed.

Tronman100

[17]Nov 19, 2007
    • level: 11
    beowulf579 wrote:
    I always thought they might try another animated series. Might sound hokey but think about a reboot within an animated world. Samurai Jack meets Trek....ok, just joking on that. But think of some great storytelling mixed within something like the animatrix type of animation. It could be quite interesting indeed.

I think an animated CGI series might be neat as well, it would have to be really good detailed animation though (hence why I would like to see it only if it were CGI).

PS: 300th post

belial_77

[18]Nov 20, 2007
    beowulf579 wrote:

The Star Wars animated "Clone Wars" series was possibly better then most of the movies... I could def see sumpn like that working... not a reboot tho...

Airbornchaos

[19]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 1

A Section 31 series or mini-series is really a good idea, but I've often thought more along the lines of using a setting in the time between the TOS movies and TNG, around the time of the Enterprise-C. You have almost 100 years of conflict with the Romulans and Klingons to work with, and about the least chance to mess up continuity.

We can witness the invention of Replicators, the changes in federation economics and still be able to meet species like the Denobulans who make up the 150 member words of the Federation. And maybe we can focus on more than one ship, maybe rotate between 3 or 4 completely different ships and crew that operate simultaneously in nearby sectors.

Just a thought.

Dexter111

[20]Nov 26, 2007
    • level: 7

I couldn't possibly get it how they could have even THOUGHT this was a good idea to do. We had a Warp drive, a Holodeck, a living android , a shapeshifter and a hologram that would always make good in an episode about moral values and humanity or even the "life" as is. And they usually did it without sounding preachy.

Other than that we had great professional actors that even had a years long acting experiences and starred in theater pieces like William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Rene Auberjonois in leading roles and at least GOOD actors like Leonard Nimoy, Brent Spiner, Jonathan Frakes, Alexander Siddig, Armin Shimerman, John de Lancie and Robert Picardo, who could actually get the most out of their roles.

Even in VOY it was clearly visible that a lack of talent in lead actors and bad scripts aren't exactly the way to go with Star Trek, yet it had some very good episodes and they tried some different things later on and at least survived. Now taking this into consideration, how could they decide to go back to shuttle flights and grappling hooks combined with a somewhat of a "submarine" atmosphere combined with "weapon of mass destruction" and "temporal cold war" storylines and rather inexperienced actors (though some also have theater experience) that the only good actor was John Bilingsley and the series was much too aggressive to be counted as a Star Trek series.

Star Trek always was about introducing new ideas and trying to further acceptance and tolerance and show people how a future utopy and technologycould be like and inspired millions (not much unlike Star Wars)to develop into that direction and spend their life trying to make it happen.

Enterprise seriously SUCKED (It was just another Action-series in Space with nothing of the above and lame plot and storylines going back to real politics)and going back into the past with yet another series or trying to do the same will probably have similar reactions.

Edited on 11/27/2007 8:38am