Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Who thought they messed this show up from the get go? I'll explain

wolfdog123

[1]Jan 9, 2007
    • level: 2

First the time line was weird in that it took place before kirks era 100 years they say but the tech on the ship was more advanced then the stuff in the Tng show .

Then there was the aliens they encountered in the first episode where  the Klingon's crashed on earth and it was said in the ST O they met in space and that met with terrible consequences.

Then there was the first season where they left the words Star trek off the title.

Then there was the pathetic ending where it was a Riker Holodeck fantasy.

So I am not sorry that it was canceled because how much more could they do to mess up the time line.

Also they had an episode where the Borg were there but I could except that because they were in the movie about first contact.

There is one or two things that were cool.

The first transporters and the first phasers.

Also I liked it when they did the alternate Universe and anything dealing with time.

For the next show they should really think on doing a show on another species like the Klingon's.

Oh everyone that reads this message and havent seen the show the end show sucks because Riker brings it up on the Holodeck

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Deanna_T

[2]Jan 12, 2007
    • level: 28
    well duh. i'm starting to prefer voyager over ent. although, ent s4 is a big improvement over some of the later voy stuff. *puke* holodeck nonsense.

ganados

[3]Jan 16, 2007
    • level: 4

Every Trekkie who's seen it will point out the inconsistecies. but whats unforgivable is

The endless cliched plots.

The forced Archer, Trip, T'pol threesome.

Hoshi being a one trick pony and unused.

Reed and Mayweather being unused.

Reincorperating the name Star Trek halfway through season 3 in a feeble attempt to try and win fans they alienated back, nothing pleased me more to see it not working, but was annoyed they didnt see the shows many weaknesses that needed fixinga dn had the audacity to blame the fans for the faults by not watching.

Reusing better Star Trek stories like Wrath of Kahn.

wingsabre

[5]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 13
    the thing about enterprise was they had so much potential, and they squandered it all away.

fans expected a prequel to be like season 4, but instead they gave a bunch of useless time stuff, which was all about pushing a reset button.

plots were not believable, like why would they honestly keep a little box with all the information about the future locked up when they could totally use it for their advantage.

plus, the whole racism is bad, vulcans and andorians should get along, blah, blah, blah...  which has been used forever.

then BSG came along, and gave fans an example of how good sci-fi makes you think and it was the final blow to ENT.

seto1

[6]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 16
    i staarted off fined  but later messed it up by not following what was history for the other star treks,thats the main problem with sequels u limit what can be done

torm15

[7]Feb 24, 2007
    • level: 11
    Used to watch enterprise obsessively when I first came out, then they did the episode "Hatchery", couldnt bring myself to watch it after that. Been watching the reruns though and except for that episode most were pretty good. At least the actors knew how to act unlike BSG. Wish there had been 3 more seasons.

texicogirl

[8]Feb 25, 2007
    • level: 4
    Unfortunatly I only got to see a hand full of the epis. Most of which were the 3rd season. The ones that I did see were good. Now that it is on sci fi I will get to see them all, I hope. The thing that I did't like is that they had to do alot of time line repair work. It seems like the time guys couldn't do tehir jobs very well, It got very old very fast. I did get to see the final epi and it sucked! I never did like Riker very much and this just made it worse. To his credit though it wasn"t his fantesy. He had a difficult decision to make and used the holideck to get Archer's perspective.

eliciab

[9]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 12

I can only agree with that statement. I must say I wasn't hoping much when I heard the concept.
    Doing a prequel was the most dangerous thing to do! I mean which nowadays scifi series can possibly look more antic than TOS? Don't get me worng I adore TOS, but you must admit the special effects and sets look their age

I was convinced by friends to give Enterprise a chance after I think 15 episodes within season 1. I watched it and what I liked immediately was the cast. Okay the fact that most guys were cute played a big part But still you could see they were all good actors so I had hope.
    Sadly the storylines were crappy from the start. I won't touch the Trip/T'Pol/Archer thing, because that was just pathetic. You had the impression they went along with what people wanted without ever being sure they were right. My head is still spinning

Sadly the people in charge of the franchise had lost (if they ever had it) the Trek feeling and what I was watching looked and smelled like Trek but it definitely wasn't up to par. Killing Trip at the end of the series was just the cherry on the cake!

Now I have Voyager and Enterprise on one of my cable channels. I watch them regularly and while I remember fondly most of the Voyager episodes and enjoy rewatching them (even though I really could never stand Seven or Neelix  ), Enterprise is just painful to watch. The first time around was good, but now... I don't know. It just looks so fake. I never realized how bad Bakula was as Captain Archer, the only redeeming quality is the flawless acting of Trinneer and Keating... I just wish we will see them soon in other series as regulars.

seto1

[10]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 16

who expected topaul to be a traitor, not me.

zzbeach

[11]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 12
    Sorry guys, I liked the show. I wish it had 3 more years. I liked it better than Voyager and Next Generation. (DS9 is my favorite.) I was very dismayed when I had heard they cancelled the series and never watched much of the last half of season 4. Just recently SciFi channel has been airing Enterprise and I realized how much I missed it. I have to tell ya, it was much better than BattleStar-television-for-women-Galactica. That show has turned into a twisted soap opera.

bigds9fan

[12]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 3
    Enterprise was a great show and it is a shame it was cancelled even though it got better ratings than Voyager.

Enterprise had a LOT of potential and was unable to achieve all of it due to it being cancelled. But the show was great and the characters were interesting.

Now Voyager ruined the Trek franchise. After Voyager a lot of people were tired of Star Trek and did not watch Enterprise. And Voyager was a poor show to begin with. That show had potential but it just was not used. To name a few things:

Janeway being disliked for getting everyone stranded in the Delta Quadrant. I mean, the Maquis should have been so mad they would have drunk her blood.

Chakotay and Janeway not getting along at first. I mean, she is a Starfleet officier and he is (by Starfleet's viewpoint) a terrorrst.

The Starfleet crew and Maquis not getting along.

More serious shortages of food/energy/supplies/crew.

Any serious character development.

Voyager was decent but it is not half as good as DS9 or Enterprise. It really made people lose faith in Star Trek and therefor they did not even want to give Enterprise a fair chance.

AnimeXas

[13]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 5

It looks more advanced because well....it is. Like really what do you want?? Red little rectangles on every computer screen?

My simple answer is "It couldnt be helped"

wingsabre

[14]Mar 30, 2007
    • level: 13
    zzbeach wrote:
    Sorry guys, I liked the show. I wish it had 3 more years. I liked it better than Voyager and Next Generation. (DS9 is my favorite.) I was very dismayed when I had heard they cancelled the series and never watched much of the last half of season 4. Just recently SciFi channel has been airing Enterprise and I realized how much I missed it. I have to tell ya, it was much better than BattleStar-television-for-women-Galactica. That show has turned into a twisted soap opera.

Honestly i think Battlestar Galactica Remake is better than Enterprise. Mainly because it stood by the sci-fi concept and make you think. Enterprise just turned into something that didn't really require thinking. Plus if you like DS9, you should know that the creator of BSG wrote on DS9. He wrote "Waltz," "Trials and Tribble-ations," and others critically favored episodes. My favorite from that series was "In the Pale Moonlight," but that was done by Michael Taylor, which joined the crew of BSG for season 3.

I think the main reason enterprise failed was because they took advantage of the fan base. Berman has been quoted numerous times that when you start a new Star Trek series, you get a build in fan base, so you just have to expand it. And that's what he did, and he did it badly. He removed the Star Trek from the title which lost some fans. He spent time on a whole temporal cold war when he should have done what fans wanted and done the romulan war. He could have started the series with first contact with the klingons and then made the first contact bad like they indicated in all star trek series and go from there, but he didn't. When you have a prequel you have fan service, and he didn't offer any. Plus he tried to make T'pol sexy and yeah the actress is sexy, but he did a poor job showing that. Yeah i know catsuit = sexy, but i argue against that. It's everything plus the catsuit, not the catsuit by itself. One it's not believable to see that that's a standard uniform. Two, we could see the goods already, like we could clearly see nipples in season 1, so there was no mystery and the mystery really makes it sexy. So it reasonable to believe that they were trying to get cheap ratings by flashing the goods, and not even doing it well. Third, common the hair, they realized that the bunt didn't work for Janeway, and the short hair didn't work for Kes. 7 of 9 had long flowing hair but kept it in a bunt, and had it brought down in sexy moments. I think the hair thing was just a recent trend in Star Trek cuz i can't remember seeing Vulcan females with hair like that in TOS.

sfviewer

[15]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 27
    they need to make enterprise look good.