Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Why did this get cancelled???

Mission31

[1]Jun 13, 2007
    • level: 3
    Why did it get cancelled? Wasn't it as good as the other Star Trek programs?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tronman100

[2]Jun 13, 2007
    • level: 11
    Supposedly because it was losing ratings, i.e. I guess they weren't making any money off of it.

There is a graph of the declining ratings on the enterprise wikipedia entry.

alex20020712

[3]Jun 13, 2007
    • level: 7
    Mission31 wrote:

How good or bad a series is, has nothing to do with it. Some of the best series have been canceled in their first season, while garbage seems to go on forever. This is a business, so the primary factor is money.

The question is, why did Enterprise have such low ratings?

House24Fan

[4]Jun 14, 2007
    • level: 5
    Possibly because it came on UPN one of the most unpopular networks ever

tolkien3791

[5]Jun 18, 2007
    It seems the show now day need to apply to more then a small group. I enjoy the last 2 seasons of Enterprise but many Star Trek fans did not like the show at all. Most felt that it was a step in the wrong direction. Hopefully we do not have to wait 20 year for another series to come out. I really have very little to watch since it went off the air. Most show today are without any apeal.

Tronman100

[7]Jun 19, 2007
    tolkien3791 wrote:
    It seems the show now day need to apply to more then a small group. I enjoy the last 2 seasons of Enterprise but many Star Trek fans did not like the show at all. Most felt that it was a step in the wrong direction. Hopefully we do not have to wait 20 year for another series to come out. I really have very little to watch since it went off the air. Most show today are without any apeal.

In terms of space travel shows, I love Stargate, Doctor Who, and am just getting into the new Battlestar Galactia...they are all awesome shows which are helping fill the void missed by new Trek, but I still want a new (good) Star Trek series. As for some other good TV, Kyle XY is alright if a little recycled, and Jericho was awesome before it got canceled .

alex20020712

[8]Jun 19, 2007
    The first two seasons were embarrassing. The fourth season finally got it right, and figured out what this show was all about, but it was too late by then.

jrsgalaxy

[9]Jun 21, 2007
    • level: 14
    We had UPN during Enterprises first year here ,then it crapped out and never came back. i had timewarner cable.the only way you could watch it down here was if you had Dishnetwork adn even then you had to purchase it along with CW for about five bucks. i used it watch at my cousins but then it became annoying ,sometimes he wasnt there .anyways finally saw the whole run on sci-fi. what UPN couldnt do in five years , SciFi did in five months . good job UPN.

copygeek

[10]Jun 25, 2007
    • level: 13

UPN pretty much wanted the show to die. They wanted to make their image more female and more black. Enterprise is mostly catered to white guys (not all, but mostly). UPN stopped advertising the show and moved it around a couple times on the schedule.

That, and I think there were a few too many playa haters from TOS who hated that ENT had a better looking ship then Kirk's crew had.

PunkNerd5

[11]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 24
    copygeek wrote:

UPN pretty much wanted the show to die. They wanted to make their image more female and more black. Enterprise is mostly catered to white guys (not all, but mostly). UPN stopped advertising the show and moved it around a couple times on the schedule.

That, and I think there were a few too many playa haters from TOS who hated that ENT had a better looking ship then Kirk's crew had.

I'm in Australia and couldn't stand the fact that Enterprise was on UPN. So I'd have to agree that it was the network, not the decline in quality of storylines that did it, because season 4 was awesome.

And there were heaps of Trek fans down here who couldn't stand Enterprise because it "looked too good" to come before Kirk's Enterprise. I felt like slapping them over the head because of that comment!

Codeguru

[12]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 6

The first seasons got it right, showing their first interactions with the different alien races and situations first hand. Then they let the politics of present day take over and it got all preachy every other episode pretty much starting right after the Zindi conflict. Too bad for them I guess, I can livewith reruns of the better series...

Codeguru

Tronman100

[13]Jul 27, 2007
    Codeguru wrote:

The first seasons got it right, showing their first interactions with the different alien races and situations first hand. Then they let the politics of present day take over and it got all preachy every other episode pretty much starting right after the Zindi conflict. Too bad for them I guess, I can livewith reruns of the better series...

Codeguru

Interesting, most people I talked to think the opposite. I didn't hate the first seasons, but I especially loved 4 and how it dealt with establishing later plot lines from the other series.

sporkman5353

[14]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 18
    Tronman100 wrote:
    Codeguru wrote:

Codeguru

Interesting, most people I talked to think the opposite. I didn't hate the first seasons, but I especially loved 4 and how it dealt with establishing later plot lines from the other series.

The only bad season imo was season 3. I actually only saw the 1st and last few episodes and didn't miss anything.

copygeek

[15]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 13
    sporkman5353 wrote:
    Tronman100 wrote:
    Codeguru wrote:

Codeguru

The only bad season imo was season 3. I actually only saw the 1st and last few episodes and didn't miss anything.

I'm always amazed when I hear people say they disliked Season 3. To me, it was mostly fantastic (except for the episode where Archer and T'Pol went back to present day Detroit). I guess the reason I liked Season 3 is because I like watching 24, so the idea of a season long plot doesn't bother me at all. Anime often does this, as well, with a single plot line covering up to 52 episodes.

I just thought that the season long arc built up the tension and gave plenty of episodes that provided greater character development.

boupas

[16]Jul 28, 2007

I'm steel missing this show..

Star Trek (all of them) was so great a series...

Bucephelus

[17]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 4
    I won't say anything bad about any season, because they were all better then what we got now, which is nothing, zilch, zippo, nada... I want my weekly hit of ST!!!

captaindillo456

[18]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 18
    Mission31 wrote:
    Because nobody was watching because it was boring, I mean I love star trek but I'd watch this whenever I wanted to go to sleep.

sfviewer

[19]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 27
    i love this show primarily because it is a star trek show.

Mikoto_sohma

[20]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 4
    Did it? Sorry, watched all eps in DVD