Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Why did this get cancelled???

belial_77

[41]Nov 6, 2007
    • level: 17
    copygeek wrote:

Well, anyone who honestly thought going into the series that the NX-01 was going to look LESS advanced than the NCC-1701 had to be smoking something pretty strong. NO ONE would have watched Archer and the crew flying through space in a cardboard box (the only thing I can think of that would look less advanced than Kirk's Enterprise!) so it's pretty much a given that Archer had to have a sexy looking ship.

I think the reason behind this (prob not what they were thinking at the time they made the set design, but still...) is that by Kirk's time the Federation had been around quite awhile, so that society was lulled into a sense of security.. therefore technology advanced slower... I mean if you live in an Utopic society, you don't really need anything more then what you already have... I mean, the reason for any form of progress is to fill a need in the day to day lives of members of a society... but if the members of that society have little or no needs, the technical progress dries up... look at such examples of the Roman Empire... they had made many great leaps forward in their Tech during their conquest of the known world... but once it was conquered and Hadrian built his wall... the society progressed little on their own until their eventual downfall...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

heeroyuy2006

[42]Nov 6, 2007
    • level: 8
    copygeek wrote:

As for the other "continuity" errors, I never watched a Trek series with the Trek Encyclopedia on my coffee table saying, "OMG! The Klingons would SO never wear those emblems on their uniform!" Granted, if they had chosen to make T-Pol have bright green skin like an Orion Slave Girl I would have probably complained, but most of the "errors" were simple writer's goofs made by people who don't walk around with every line from every episode of Trek memorized.

To me, any time you sit down to watch a sci fi TV show or movie you have to greatly suspend your disbelief and just go with the narrative that the writers, directors, actors, etc., are trying to put out there. If you dislike it holistically, fine, but don't pick it apart until it dies from the proverbial thousand cuts.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. Granted, I might be a little more continuity/canon conscious about things than you, but if it can be explained away, I don't have too much of a problem. By the way, even if an episode or movie messes up continuity, I still might like it (some examples being VOY: "Threshold", ENT: "Regeneration", and Star Trek: First Contact).

anonbg

[44]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 2

It took a while to get used to but I started to really enjoy Enterprise (thats a comment on the title music as well as the show, until they decided to tweak the music that is).

I think its a damn pity that ratings are more important than anything. It almost makes me wish that rival shows would flop which is kind of ridiculous. So now we have no Star Trek at all, with no immediate prospect of any more - apart from the movie, which is just a movie.

The finale? Yep, it was insulting, dunno what exactly happened by my sense is that writers and probably everybody else wanted to show their anger at the show being axed by making everything go to hell. Sure, I was pissed as well, so perhaps not such a bad ending.

baskok

[45]May 5, 2008
    • level: 9

It was just not that original anymore. Everything has been done before on previous shows. Also the intro song was awful a rock ballad song. The characters weren't interesting anymore. There were to many into the future episodes like enterprise J or back in time to ww2. Even present day to stop the xindi from using a virus to destroy mankind. Wasnt TOS already about exploration? What a shame this show wasn't more original.

baskok

[46]May 5, 2008
    • level: 9
    NX-01 looked a lot more advanced then ncc-1701 but that's just the time we live in and our ideas of the future are a lot more different then in the 6 ties.

zzbeach

[47]May 8, 2008
    • level: 12
    It was a good show with a fine cast. UPN self destructed and that's why it was cancelled. Connor Trinneer (Trip Tucker) was interviewed on Gateworld.net and eluded to that fact. And since Paramount doesn't like t share, there was no way any cable station like Sci Fi was going to pick it up unless through syndication. Too bad, I really liked it.

X-RayVision

[48]May 30, 2008
    • level: 11
    Ennterprise didn't make it because they really didn't try to court the Star Trek fanbase. B & B wrote the show hoping to get a new fanbase, but in the end faled to get it and had pissed off a lot of the old base.

They also waited until the absolute last minute to start listening to what the audience was wanting, storylines that were greater than a single episode or th occaisonaly 2 parter. If you missed an episode of seasons 1 or 2 you didin't miss really anything that had to do with a greater plot. In 3 or 4 that was a different matter. Fans of Voyager had been saying for years that they needed to make storylines work within th show rather than sticking to self-contained stories, they refused to listen. Too bad for Voyager. Then too bad for Enterprise because they repeated the same mistakes.

crashes_daily

[49]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 3
    A major factor was also the chemistry between the characters.
    In that respect TOS and TNG were far above the rest of the franchise. Just think about the bickering between Spock and McCoy. I had to smile as soon as they entered the same room. Or the idea to bring a Klingon, a psychic counsellor and an Android together on a ship and make it work that well in TNG. Patrick Stewart was of course also a great asset. DS9 struggled to achieve that. Voyager and STE failed. I would have liked to see someone on Voyager to make fun of Seven to balance her presence, she was the perfect "straight man", yet they missed that chance completely. And their way to bring some irony into the series was Neelix who had to play the "sympathetic fool", also a bad decision.

With STE they started to late. They wrapped some interesting stories around T'Pol, Archer and Trip, but in my impression (it is a while since I watched the series) it never melted to something "whole".

Adora_Mill

[50]Jul 12, 2008
    Well, watching first two seasons couldn't but laugh all way through. There wasn't much humor or jokes in seasons 3 & 4.

cactusjack39

[51]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 30
    Almost every episode was like every other series in Star Trek. I thought that the acting was rather predictable and the storylines were worn out or already been done. It also didn't help the show that the entire series was based during a time where the Federation wasn't established yet. Some will argue that this element was needed for a different era of stories, but by the ratings and lack of fanbase, it was an utter failure.

hmnut7

[52]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 12

I would argue that there was no real reason why it failed, it just suffered for being too much like Star Trek in some areas and not enough like it in others.

If you look at the show objectively as just a Sci-fi TV show it is no different than any of the past 4 series (with the exception of the best F/X ever) it is the same exact show, no better or worst in writing, directing or acting, and anyone who says otherwise is probably a trekkie fanatic in which case who cares what they think.

Why it was too much like Star Trek: I am a Star Trek fan, but I would say I am a causal fan at best, and you know what I am usually alone. Star Trek unlike say Star Wars, unlike say Lord of the Rings, in Star Trek you can't be a causal fan without people thinking you are an obsessive Trekkie. For some reason there is a huge stigma with Star Trek unlike any other in Sci-fi. All my friends openly say how much they like Star Wars or LOTR because you are allowed to like that stuff and still be considered normal. With Star Trek if you like it even a little you are crazy.

ENT had just enough Star Trek stuff that it could not deny what it was, klingons, Vulcans, Starfleet, Enterprise, it was just enough Star Trek that people who were afraid of becoming the obsessive losers they mocked would not even give it a chance. So that's the first part of the reason.

Why it was not enough like Star Trek: You have to look at the place in time when the series is suppose to take place and the place and time where it actually takes place. In the late 80s TNG made a huge jump in years from the when the TOS took place. And the TNG era then spans over a decade and 3 series, to the point that the TNG era is a genre unto itself. Then right on the heels of that, Star Trek makes an every bigger jump back in time and creates a New era, well Star Trek fans were not ready for it. They got very comfertable in the era they had been living in for 13 years. They did not take the jump well at all. It was as if they viewed the jump back as degression of their own personal lives.

I loved Enterprise, I think it was the best of all the shows, but I know I am the minority, those who might like it would not give it chance because it is too much like Star Trek, and those who hated it tend to give reasons because it is not enough like the Star Trek they are use to.

seto1

[53]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 16
    the show was a great concept howvever how suspenful and dire could it be when we all the end result for earth

Eerazor

[54]Dec 14, 2008
    • level: 4

Enterprise had a lot of good points and a few bad points. It is true that the concept of bottle episodes, certainly in the first two seasons was a little outdated, certainly because a lot of series at the time worked on season long arcs. Granted, for a casual viewer, the bottle episodes were enjoyable and provided new viewers with a quick look into the show, but that was about it. The Xindi arc was good, although, I do agree with a lot of posters here that it was dragged out. As for the fact that a lot of people disagree with the fact that the xindi are never mentioned in the later series, well, thats open to argument. Personally it did not bother me. A lot of the species mentioned in Enterprise had minor mentiones in the other Trek series. The first few members of the Federation came as an "accepted" statistic. It is clear that a lot of the species might still be around, even the Xindi, but what is the point of mentioning every species in every series? According to trek lore there are litterally hundreds of other species in the federation, and I am pretty sure a large number have never been mentioned by any of the series.

The Bashers had their run. Yes, it was a prequel, and I am personally not a big fan of telling a story before a story, but you have to admit it was an exciting time in Trek during Enterprise. Sure they went into their strides in Season 4, but that was mainly because it repaired a lot of the so called damage the first 3 seasons created. A lot saying that the Klingons or the Vulcans had not acted how everyone was used too. Considering the fact that it was a good 100 years before the original trek, chances are their opinions could have changed. I was quite happy with the fact that the Vulcans were not 101 Vulcans per say, it gave them a fresh taste. As with the Klingons. It kind of makes you understand why they are the way they are in Voyager/DS9 times.

Enterprise did not receive the credit it deserved imo. Yes, it was different and yes it was the same. It squandered a lot of interesting opportunities by concentrating on plot lines we were familiar with. But I think if they had not done that, the complaints about Enterprise would have been "this is not star trek." They could have concentrated more on the notion of why the Primal Directive was such an important aspect of the Federation, especially by going through the consequence by an action, but unfortunately that was never fully explored. Nor was the fact of how the Federation could have become such a major Alpha Quadrant power in such a short time, always making the Enterprise outgunned. It became a little lame so to speak, so the adaptability of humans, so often seen in SciFi series could have been explored in more detail. The fact that the "Grappler" was just embarassing, rather than having a prototype Tractorbeam that always failed (especially concerning the fact that the Enterprise was the only ship that had such a technology, while even the minor races employed a tractor beam) would have made for more interesting story lines.

At least there were no holodeck episodes ^^. Simple matter of fact is that its a shame it got cancelled. It would have been nice to watch the formation of the Federation, the Romulan Conflict or even the struggle to keep the Federation together in its early stages. Having started that, rather than the Temporal Cold War line as well as the Xindi line would have been far more interesting.

cactusjack39

[55]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 30
    I did like the theme song.

seto1

[56]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 16
    same here i sang along every time,i can touch the stars

kathya11

[57]Mar 8, 2009
    I adored Classic Trek from Day One, didn't appreciate TNG until after I saw First Contact, loved DS9 and never thought it got the respect it deserved. When it came along, I gave Voyager a shot -- then stopped watching because the cast had, to me, no chemistry. Classic Trek it wasn't. When it was on, ENT conflicted with other things I was taping, so I never got to watch it, though I kept up with discussions on the series via several Trek mailing lists. Thanks to a buy two, get one free promo Barnes & Noble ran recently, I bought the entire series on DVD, watched it in a long marathon -- and fell in love. This show was canceled far before its time. If the suits in charge had their heads on their shoulders instead of crammed up their nether regions, it would have gone the full seven seasons. It was far better than the lowest-common-denominator UPN kept on after the cancellation.

As to it skewing too white male? Ratings are misleading. Women of all ages have been fans of the various Trek series since September of 1966. And that abomination of a final episode? What a waste of airtime.

furiousfunk

[58]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 13
    The show was on UPN and even in 2001, many areas didn't have the UPN. They also ran it on Friday night against Stargate SG-1 and Joan Of Arcadia which were both Science Fiction shows that had a big following in the Sci-Fi genre and at that time most people didn't have TiVos that allowed them to record 2 shows at once. This show should have been given it's proper run of 3 more seasons, it was spectacular starting with the Xindi storyline. Jolene Blalock is the hottest chick ever on any of the Star Trek series and it was sad to see it go(by "it" I meant her chest).
    Personally I want to see another Star Trek series on TV but it should be put in Syndication like Deep Space Nine and TNG were, that way they can expand their markets.

Paul_js

[59]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 1
    MIght had something to do any or all of the following:

[1] Most people are into mindlest sitcoms.

[2] The show started a little woodenly.

[3] That theme song had my and many others jumping for the remote faster than the need for a could beer on a hot summers night. The theme of "Through a glass darkly" was brilliant, instead of this soft soap neo-Carpenters job that plagued the series.

To the owners of the franchise, keep the theme "Classical" and leave out the smaltz.

Fraggerstein

[60]Apr 23, 2009
    It was cancelled because of low ratings, also the show ost popularity because of network producer poor choices, such as the Temporal Cold war which was shoehorned into production because the execs demanded a "future" theme despite the fact Enterprise is already a future based scifi show.
    theres a reason Stormfront I and II was made, it was for the sole purpose of terminating the Temporal Cold war plot.

I for one never liked it much anyway, it was too intrusive in the Enterprise storyline, it's suppose to be where Earth starts first exploring space, having a blowhard from the future dropping in unnannounced and spoiling things and such was just a way not to do Sci-fi.

I did however think they could have had it if it didn't play such a huge role in Enterprise's early mission.

Having the Suliban Cabal and the mysterious 'Future guy' instructing them would have done better with more mystery.