Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Why did this get cancelled???

hmnut7

[61]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 12
    Well I don't think the temporal cold war killed it, but it certainly didn't help.

As a huge fan of ENT I found the Temporal Cold War to be a low in an otherwise very interesting storyline. And I mean a VERY low point. Like when I debate with those who dislike the show and they say it is stupid, if they mention the Temporal Cold War I just have to shut up because they are right, that aspect of the show was pretty stupid.

The basic plot is people from the future are messing with the past...FOR REASONS..... we never really learn the reasons or why they have such an intrest in ENT era as oppose to TOS or First Contact or Caveman days, but we are just suppose to blindly accept they are doing all this for reasons that make sense.

I think perhaps if the Temporal cold war was a series (or contained mini-series) all by itself it would have worked fine. But shoehorning it into ENT ruined the concept of the Temporal Cold War and it ruined parts of ENT.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[62]May 15, 2009
    • level: 18
    One thing is that it was not on the same time/night everywhere so it nightly rating was never good. At least in my area they moving it around so you never knew when it was on. Then there was the hardcore Star Trek fans you had trouble with the staying true to the storyline. This was a problem they fear. How do you make it look older than the 1st show and more technology advance than we are now. Just look at the technology of the 1st Star Terk and the technology we have in our home today. The producers knew this was going to be a problem and was told that this would be one of the reasons it would not work. Look how fans react if on one show you press the 2nd switch to fire and another show you press the 3rd. Then there is the fact that sci-fi does not do well on TV anymore. Look at Firefly & Space: Above and Beyond. If it does not some how deal with the undead or the super natural it does not make it. Doctor Who seem to be the only one and I think it is because they have been able to bring the old fans/storylines together with thenew fans/storyline and make it work keeping true to the overall storyline.

archangelwho

[63]May 17, 2009
    • level: 18
    There was also two poor storylines/ The Temporal Cold War & the whole Xindi story. It also seem that many of the shows was just remakes from all of the other Star Trek shows.

seto1

[64]May 19, 2009
    • level: 16
    I have very little quarrel with the xindi arc but the temporal war simply made no sense.What i never got was these beings who could time travel,which is basically the biggest do over ever and never use this advantage fully,ok our super weapons hmm maybe some time travel would help.This show started off great with a awesome concept but truthfully there was only so much later movement they had available.One big goff i saw was with the romulans,which humans had no seen until aroud the 23rd century.

Rich1701

[65]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 3
    I think the question you should be asking is, How did this show get on air?

seto1

[66]Oct 11, 2009
    • level: 16
    hey it was not that bad.

spthg666

[67]Oct 11, 2009
    • level: 1

I finished the entire series in 3 weeks the other day. I am getting ready for the upcoming release of Star Trek Online so I wanted to brush up on my basic Trek knowledge. Except for a couple of funky episodes I thought the series was very entertaining. But I have to agree with a few folks out there, that it was the UPN network and its execs that torpedoed the series with bad advertising and bad time slots and basically no support.

Without the 5th season it could not be properly close up and the last few episodes felt rushed and unfinished. The finale episode with the TNG tie in and a needless death for Trip Tucker was basic we're outta money and you are all fired, lets get this over with. The story line for the 2155-2161 yrs was none existent. Manny Coto did a GREAT job in the 4th season getting it back on track then they decided to cancelled the show with a few episodes left, that killed the morale for all involved and they were just going thru the motions after that.

During the last 3 weeks I have also done alot of research on this series and the characters and their backgrounds, the only person I can find that really said it right was Jolene Blalock. She said that the series finale was "Appalling". I am surprised that SyFy or TnT hasnt picked up the series, I would like to see a couple more seasons and finish the time line. Archer does ALOT of stuff after 2161 and of course theres the Earth-Romulan war (2156-2160).

There is no T'Pol info after 2161, and is Trip Tucker really dead? I think the doctor froze him and took him back to his home world to fix him and he catches back up with Archer and T'Pol fighting the Klingons. After winning that battle Tucker and T'Pol hook up and make the first Vulcan-Human baby and T'Pol becomes the Vulcan Ambassador representing T'Pau.

So there lots of storyline left out there for Paramount to work with. Infact Paramount has enough storyline in there to put together another Star Trek Movie in the Prime Time Line and close it all up. I'm sure with the reruns going now, they will generate some interest and maybe we will see some closure. I hope so, I really liked the series.

My 2 cents worth.

Edited on 10/11/2009 7:30pm