TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Star Trek: Enterprise Forums

UPN (ended 2005)

Why Season 4 got on my nerves.

belial_77

[1]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 17

So while I liked mos tof the plots in season four, it irritated me that they didn't stick with any one of them for more then 2 or 3 episodes... the Augment arc, the Vulcan civil war, the Romulan Drone Ship, the Kilingon Augments/plauge, the Terra Prime politics, and then the end... not one really carried over from the previous (except the Kilingon and Augments)... it seems like they knew they were about to get cancelled, and instead of pacing the story and saving the other plots for future use (movies, direct to DVD movies, novels, etc...) they decided to try making any ideas for the show they had as quick as they could...

I think they should have carried ove rthe Augment story arc into the Kling on plauge with more integration, maybe thrown the Vulcan Civil War into it as a secondary plot...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

copygeek

[2]Sep 18, 2007
    • level: 13

Well, they DID know going into Season 4 that it was probably going to be their last.

However, the reason they did so many short arcs was because, while many people loved Season 3 and its season-long story arc, alot of people complained about not being able to follow the plot if they missed an episode or two of a long story arc. Personally, I think that excuse is crap, but if they say so... In order to keep up the feel of Season 3 and still be considerate of people who wanted standalone stories the producers/writers chose to make several 3 episode story arcs.

I think it was pretty effective and held my interest from episode to episode.

belial_77

[3]Sep 18, 2007
    • level: 17
    I see that... but I still think the Augment thing could have been a major story arc, but second or even third to the main plots... and half way through the season, switch to the kligon virus...

heeroyuy2006

[4]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 8
    I really don't think any of the arcs really needed to be prolonged a whole season. In my eyes, there wasn't enough story in them. Also, the mini arcs did have connections to each other. For example, the Romulans showing up in the last episode of the Vulcan Reformation arc connected with the Romulan Drone arc which created an alliance to fight the drone and its creators that led to the beginning of the formation of the Coalition of Planets in the Terra Prime arc. Plus, these short arcs allowed several different stories to be told without being rushed or forced into being just one episode and started creating links with The Original Series.

petef20

[5]Nov 11, 2007
    • level: 22

Yeah, they were kinda linked in some way. I can see your point but I thought it worked well; a good balance between the season long arc of season 3 and the more stand alone eps from season 1 and 2.

cale1234567

[6]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 7
    perhaps they can explain why the romulans looked like tng romulans and why they just looked like vulcans in the TOS episodes
    perhaps another augment virus?