Star Trek: Enterprise

Regeneration

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM May 07, 2003 on UPN

• A lab in the middle of the Arctic finds remnants of a sphere and Borg from the 24th Century. Archer remembers reading a passage from Cochrane about an encounter with people from the future and cybernetic beings... and thus starts a wholly stupid episode

1.1
    Why Picard, Janeway and other Federation personnel didn\'t read Archer\'s logs and discover that the Borg were old acquaintances. Q would have been peeved if he realised he wasn\'t the first to introduce the Borg to the Federation and in fact..the first Enterprise actually worked out how to kill the pesky Borg was to:

Amp up the power of their less advanced weapons
    Kill the nanites with a certain type of radiation

and other stuff I just have no idea why the dudes in the 24th century made such a big deal of the Borg. Their relentless pursuit of perfection, their admiration of Species 8472 as being the apex of biological/cybernetic interface, their absolute decimation of entire species for the purpose of assimilation believing that \'Resistance is Futile\'was perfectly contained by ARcher and his less advanced crew. Picard and his peers so should have kicked their Borg butts - look at the photos and research that had been left behind.

Whoever wrote this episode really did a disservice to TNG and Voyager (And I thought Janeway was bad enough always managing to win the encounters - no way! )

This episode in my opinion sucked.
  • An enjoyable episode which should never have been in Enterprise.

I must admit I have mixed feelings about "Regeneration". On the one hand, it was an entirely enjoyable episode if only for the constant eye-candy inherent with Borg episodes, and on the other hand, I am disappointed the writers even considered placing the Borg into a 22nd century environment.

I'll begin with the good points, the few of them there are. The whole story does tie in nicely to Star Trek: First Contact creating an unusual time paradox, and as previously mentioned, the visual effects cannot be faulted. I even enjoyed seeing the Borg roaming the decks of Enterprise as a kind of "what if" scenario that so many fans speculate on.

However, this does not excuse the one fact die-hard fans would be aware of: first contact with the Borg occured in Star Trek: The Next Generation and no convenient omission of the word "Borg" is going to change that. Are we seriously supposed to believe that Starfleet couldn't put 2 and 2 together and come up with "Borg?"

Furthermore, we see the wreckage of the Borg Sphere as if it had just crashed on the planet, and the drones themselves are hardly covered in ice, yet we are meant to believe they and the wreckage has been there for 100 years? Yeah, right!

And if that weren't enough, the writers really went too far by having Phlox invent a "cure" for assimilation, something that is still impossible (bar-Species 8472) in the 24th century. Did the writers suddenly think "Oh wait, we can't kill off a main character."

Overall, I would consider this a great stand alone episode, something which I am not afraid to admit to. However, in the context of the rest of the series, I cannot give it more than a 1/10 for blatant violation of Trek canon, and that is only because the site won't let me give it a zero. At least "Acquisition", as silly as it was, could be explained to some extent.
  • 24th century borg: yay! 22nd century technology defeating them: boo!

This was an enjoyable episode, but left me wanting more.

Everyone loves the Borg (Bjorn and Collective alike), but most of us like seeing them kickass, not lose to inferior opponents.

Aesthetics and general "cool" factor aside, what makes the borg so poignant is their menacing nature, their unyielding tenacity and unwillingness to rationalize with or try to talk down: they're coming, in ominous 9.9 warp square monoliths, and they're going to take away your life in the most horrific of way, without remorse, and turn you into a creepy cybernetic drone.

This may be a remnant of the criticism laid on Voyager, but you'd think that this episode being made well after the feedback from fans and critics on their treatment ala Janeway would give the showrunners the opportunity to give us the best of both worlds: the fierce menace of the borg from TNG and the great cgi and makeup from Voyager, especially in the 22nd century.

Alas, this is not the case, and it leaves the rational mind dumbfounded. The opening of First Contact sees about 30+ 24th century ships getting laid to waste by a single Borg vessel, and most drones adapting after 1-2 phaser shots.

I saw Archer and crew put down at least 8 drones before one finally adapted conveniently before they warped.

I love Star Trek, and one might argue that you must suspend disbelief, but that still requires good writing and making things consistent within the canon and it is frustrating to see this kind of treatment to a part of ST that I deeply enjoy.

It's still entertaining, and not nearly as frustrating as some Voyager episodes' take on the borg, but I don't think it's unfair for fans to demand better treatment of their beloved classics.

But, in the end, it's Trek, and it's the Borg, so it's still a lot of fun to be had.
  • The Borg are back...but not with a bite.

4.7
    Since Star Trek: Next Gen, the Borg have been an imortant part of the show....except Deep Space 9. However this episode contridicted everything we already knew. Now this episode was about an artic research team, digging up the remains of a Borg ship and find 2 frozen Borg who quickly come back to life and take the research team and their ship. The Enterprise and ther crew are sent on a mission to stop them.

This was just weak, If they found how so many secret of the Bork then how come Picard had never heard of them? Surely they would have had much more info on them. Not only that they plot just was lame...it flet like that they just wanted the Borg even if it had not really basis on the show...however this isn't the shows first contridiction...we had seen it happen before with the Klingons.
  • The Borg return but this time they're actually a bit more intimidating.

7.9
    This episode serves to link up First Contact and TNG and finally redeems the Borg from the horrible state that they were left in after Voyager.

It makes the Borg seem to be far more formidable, they're not just useless automatons anymore. They manage to get off Earth, convert several people to Borg and of course set into action the chain of events that lead to the Borg incursion on Federation space.

The MO of the Borg is a bit fuzzy - they seem pretty happy to just run away and send their message but beyond that, their actual intentions are unclear. For example, they could easily have converted Earth over to Borg control.

It was nice to see how the Borg essentially modified a lowly cargo ship into a pretty kick ass ship. Of course, they couldn't let them live but this episode was probably more entertaining than any other in the first couple of Enterprise seasons and almost redeems them for the horrible, horrible Voyager Borg episodes.
  • The Borg Sphere from Star Trek First contact is discovered in 22nd century earth

Entertaining? yes.
    Whats wrong with it then.
    For the average viewer it might be the one that gets them into Enterprise it might also rank in the top ten.
    But for Trekkies its asking fans to accept too much, for example would Picard really have left any remenant of that sphere? would the Borg really have dropped a massive opportunity to assimilate Earth like they did?
    You may argue it explains why the Borg are in the alpha quadrant in later series but I'd counter that with saying territorial expansion was explanation enough.
    Thankfully complaints of this sort of episode seemed to sink in as it never happened again.
  • Enterprise faces The Björn... er, The Borg!

An intense action packed episode. Comprises mostly of a number of combat scenes between various Borg-esque drones and the Enterprise. The fight scenes are split more between ship boarding operations by both the Borg and Humans, while there are a few ship-borne actions.

The plot tie with First Contact and ST:TNG storylines is one of those pleasurable eyebrow lifting moments, when things that happened in previous shows get the alternate point-of-view and make a little bit more sense. The subplot of Phlox being infected with nano-probes was disappointing from the P.o.V that it the Borg-tech should be so alien that he wouldnt be able to come up with a cure in such a short space of time. Maybe in 200 years time.... I felt that the possible use of a much liked minor character dying, to hit the danger home would have been better. But as no real minor characters are as yet not included in the show, at least not amongst the crew - this wasnt going to happen.

The (perhaps) unintentional dymanic where we know the full horror of what Enterprise is up against, versus their not knowing - adds a certain 'hiding behind the sofa as the action unfolds' element. Which I found added to the gripping nature of this episode. However, don't expect much in the way intrigue. There is some drama in the way the threat to Enterprise keeps changing, finally alternative their mission from one of recovery to one of survival.

The finale is excellent though, with regards this show. The taste of foreboding is quite palettable, well it would be if we already didn't know what happens in the 24th century! ;)

Excellent, excellent, excellent!
  • A good episode.

OK, maybe it screwed up some writing done in the previous trek shows. some inconsistencies happened with this episode, but they still made a very nice episode. The way they connected star trek first contact to this episode is great writing. there's a bit of a "the thing" homage at the episode intro. it's another exciting episode to watch, the writers did a good job, i just wish in the future they will do their homework first before they write stuff that might be inconsistent with the past shows. this episode still was entertaining. it's perhaps one of the best episode of season 2.
  • We have no name. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Arctic researcher #1: Hey! Frozen cyborg aliens!
    Arctic researcher #2: Let's bring them into the warm where they can thaw out!

Well, you know the rest...

The Borg are back in town, but all that time in the ice seems to have messed up their logic circuits in favour of creating a situation where the Enterprise crew can save the day without messing up Trek continuity.

Ordinary aliens can be assimilated quite easily, but main cast members (uh, I mean Denobulans) are assimilated slowly enough to be able to find a cure for Borg Nanoprobes before it's too late. Phew, that's a relief!

24th Century "First Contact" era Borg technology is no match for pre-Kirk era starfleet weaponry, as evidenced by a well intentioned, but inappropriate follow-up to the movie. And they didn't even include a deus ex machina. Oh wait, that was the radiation chamber that's fatal to everyone except Denobulans... how cunning.

But hey, it's a Borg episode, so it gets a thumbs up from me! Go Borg!
  • Exciting, swiftly paced, dynamically shot episode that sets up a predestination paradox for the Borg encounters of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Over all I found Star Trek: Enterprise to be untrue to the Star Trek canon as established in the four previous television incarnations. Admittedly, the series took place before the other four shows, but it had so little connection with the overall mythology. Where they could have had episodes setting up the characters, races, and events in the other series, they decided to have a man get pregnant in the fouth episode.

"Regeneration" is their rare, adventurous connection between the universe of the 2150s and the 23rd and 24th centuries. The episode sets up a predestination paradox about the Borg episodes in The Next Generation. The story acts as a sequel to First Contact, by showing a group of Earth scientists unearthing the Borg drones that Captain Picard shot down over the Arctic. This early part of the episode has a moody, atmospheric "The Thing from Another World" quality to it, rare for a show usually so sterile as this one. The Borg quickly revive themselves, assimilate the scientists, and take their transport out into space where they threaten to destabilize the region. Of course, only Captain Archer can stop them. It is pretty remarkable that the Enterprise can thwart the efforts of the Borg, considering tha they have no knowledge of their tactics and that the Borg are utilizing 24th century technology. The end of the episode features a predestination paradox when we find out that the Borg that Archer stopped sent a message to Borg Space in the Delta Quadrant, a message which would not be received until the 24th century, thus presumably initiating their first invasion of the Federation. Of course, this violates established doctrine that Q introduced the Borg to the Federation, so we'll have to assume that the timeline has now been changed.

This episode features extremely dynamic cinematography. The cameras move swiftly down the claustrophobic, tubular corridors of the submarine like starship sets, increasing the tension. But what makes this episode truly work is the widescreen presentation. This allows for greater movement within the frame rather than increasing tension with cutting. This isn't the best written or acted episode, but is an exciting follow-up to First Contact and a complement to the established Star Trek mythology, something which the series rarely did again.
  • Expected a disappointment, but was pleasently surprised.

I remember when the producers said they were doing a Borg episode and the fans had jumped on the episode straight away - simply because it apparently couldn't work or be any good as it was going to break the timeline.

Thing is, even a bad Borg story, which this isn't, was always going to be more exciting than let's say 'Precious Cargo'.

Thankfully for the series, if you ignore some minor quibbles, for me the biggest of which was the speed at which Phlox managed to cure himself - this is a solid and very exciting story, that I don't think hampered the timeline much at all.

The opening sequence set in the Arctic Circle is great, no ENT cast and a team of scientists studying an unknown race, that we all know is the Borg.

I like most things Trek, and after being a fan for almost 20 years, this paid a dramatically interesting homage to what I consider Trek's best alien race ever.