Star Trek: Enterprise

UPN (ended 2005)

Star Trek: Enterprise Fan Reviews (171)

• Space, the final frontier... These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, its 5 year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilisations; to boldy go where no man has gone before.

"It's been a long road, getting from there to here... it's been a long time, but our time is finally here" These first few words of Faith of the Heart, the theme for Enterprise (2004), sum up the attitude and direction of this final installment of Star Trek (TV).

Enterprise takes us on humanity's first steps into deep space and shows us the beginnings of the Star Trek universe imagined by Rodenberry all those years ago.

We travel with the crew into the early and largely unkown start of the federation-to-be and meet klingons and countless other new species along the way. Some wonderfully alien. Beautifully scripted, thought provoking at times, light hearted and good natured this is typical trek universe with a few nice twists and new ideas thrown in where-ever possible. Of mention, Scott Bakula (Capt Archer), Jolene Blalock (Science Officer T'Pol) and Conner Trineer (Chief Engineer Trip) are magic together. Bakula in his portrayel of Archer is passionate, conflicted and righteous - he nails the role and i couldn't imagine anyone else doing as great a job. Blalock and Trineer work wonderfully with Bakula and they create the same bond of that famous trek trio: Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Enterprise is really an achievement. The show follows the traditiinal story telling methods of the previous trek shows and pioneered CGI special effects for TV programming. This combination of tried and tested story telling with ground-breaking CGI (used to bolster the story, not make up for the lack of one), brings a new level of excellence to Trek and continues the tradition of quality tv we have come to expect from modern trek.

A truely under-appreciated show, Enterprise failed to look at its competition and sadly lost to the likes of Stargate Atlantis (a great show in its own right). The introduction, while informative and positive, was slow, compared to the action packed introduction of SGA. The song itself is beautiful but was a gamble i have seen taken and lost on too many shows (like Firefly)! I cant stress this enough - people leave their tv's running in the back-ground so music intro's are key to getting audiences into a show. That song is enough to get most people scrambling for the remote to change the channel. Many of the support cast were also poorly chosen - some were just boring, others looked camera shy or perhaps over-awed by Bakula. Perhaps, even, over-shadowed by Bakula. In particular, Ensign Mayweather seemed robotic, distant and frozen most of the time. While Ensign Reed was far too aloof to allow character sympathy. At times i felt that Blalock's direction was poorly judged and her timing too rigid. Trineer was illuminating and endearing and John Billingslly (Dr. Phlox) is entralling. For someone who's only ever been to one trek convention, 18 years ago, i'm keen to go to one just to speak with John Billingslly. Overall i gave the show 75% purely based on the final season. Dont get me wrong, i found the storys in every season excellent, but the way the show was wrapped up is quite pitiful. Peter Weller makes a guest appearance in the double episode prior to the finale. My advice, stop watching here. This double episode is a worthy finale of an inspiring series and deserves to be remembered this way. If you keep watching, you will be left with a horrible taste in your mouth. Minus the finale, this show gets 85%.