Star Trek: Enterprise

These Are the Voyages …

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM May 13, 2005 on UPN

5.4
  • Enterprise didn't deserve this...

1.5
    Enterprise is my favourite Star Trek series largely due to the time period it is set in and the relateable crew members. I absolutely love it and was expecting a great finale to do the show justice. Instead we got a finale filled with plot holes and continuity errors... Personally, I thought the finale was too much of a The Next Generation episode and not really centred on the Enterprise crew like it should have been. The main cast should have been allowed to take centre stage in their final episode and made it an episode to remember, for all the right reasons.

For me, Terra Prime (the amazing penultimate episode) is the finale as it left the series on a hopeful note with the formation of the Federation and Trip/T'Pol's relationship. This finale was just a waste of potential. Very disappointed.
  • Not the voyage they deserved

*spoilers*

The final episode of Enterprise doesn't do the show or characters great justice. Commander Riker of the Next Generation is at an impasse and he must use the Holodeck to make a decision. His choice is to observe Trip's last mission and it happens to be the one shortly before Archer's great speech. The action aboard Enterprise is set 6 years after the previous episode "Terra Prime" it aims to lead viewers right up to the forming of the alliance. The chief concern is how Trip is dealt with. His death is a needless martyrdom against random aliens who are after the blue skinned Shran. It's not believable or logical that he would set up a system that would blow a hole in several bulkheads, killing the aliens and killing himself. Then, just days after he perishes from plasma burns, the crew don't even seem to care that he is dead. Perhaps his death is an allegory for how the series was treated.

Trip and T'Pols relationship has also been dead for 6 years, nothing has advanced. Even after losing a child together they choose to go their separate ways. This seems rather cold hearted and implausible given the journey we have seen. The rest of the episode is just a jumbled mess with only Shran's daughter's phrase "Thanks Pink Skin" providing laughs. As an episode of saying goodbye to characters it does so by placing Riker as the cook and having the major characters come and talk to him. Most of this discussion is about Trip, but it really does little to help Riker make his decision or help us tip our hats to the characters. There were better ways to say goodbye.

Season 4 has been a bit of a mess in general. The early stages were interesting with the focus on Vulcans. There are a great number of multipart episodes that serve to save money on sets and actors. I feel that the last true Enterprise mission was probably "The Aenar" which concluded things fairly well with the Romulans. The only thing wrong with that episode is Trip leaving, so perhaps the ending of "Bound" is a good enough way to finish Enterprise. Certainly was not a fan of the "In the Mirror Darkly" episodes which seemed to serve no real purpose other than some kind of technicoloured fan service. Both Terra Firma terrorists episodes were awful too even with Robocop trying to steer the sinking ship. Malcolm, Hoshi, Trip, T'Pol, Travis, Phlox and Archer deserved a better note to finish a good series.
  • This episode is actually a new synonym for pitiful, disastrous, awful, unworthy, disgrace and - well, just -very, very, very bad.

0.1
    Being a Star Trek Fan, I had my shares of ups and downs with this franchise, but never in all five (six if you count the animation crap as a part of the series) instalments, were I ever so – well lets call it disappointed, even if it is insufficient.

I mean who would have thought that such disturbingly bad episodes like Emergence (TNG), Threshold (Voy) or If Wishes Were Horses (DS9) would look good in comparison to this episode. OK, now that you know how I rate this episode, let’s give you some reasons (just a few because going into detail here would fill a novel) why this episode is so appalling and why Rick Berman and Brannon Braga should be dragged out and beaten with the stupidity stick:

1. Why oh, why did they have to bring back Troy and Ricker? This was supposed to be the end of “Enterprise” and not TNG. And why place this episode back at the 7th season of TNG. Frakes and Sirtis are now 11 years older, and I am sorry to say, but they also look it, making it total unbelievable that this episode fits into the right timeframe. And a holodeck episode as a series finale?!? I mean – honestly, could it be more pathetic?

2. Why build up the relationship between Tucker and T’Pol in Terra Prime just to dismiss it completely one episode later.

3. Why let Tucker die? His death was absolutely meaningless, stupid and no to mention illogical. I mean - honestly – Brannon, Rick, do you believe that the audience is so retarded that we would not notice, the lack of security officers on the ship allowing the pirates to enter the ship without any resistance and without being shoot at before docking?

4. Continuation errors: OK, Trip is dead but he still talks to chef, aka Ricker??? And why aren’t T’Pol and Archer more upset about it?

I could go on and on, but writing about this episode is actually very painful. I just want to forget about it. For me “These Are the Voyages...” is just a very bad nightmare and Enterprise ended with Terra Prime. And to quote a famous filmmaker: “Shame on you Mr. Berman and shame on you Mr. Braga!!!”
  • Don't watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like most people I hated the last episode and wish I have never seen it!!! But I just found out there is a book out call "Good That Men DoThe by Andy Mangels, Michael A. Martin" and fixes everything that was so so wrong with that last episode!!! I haven't read it yet so I hope its good!!!!
  • With such a great series I think it was true to itself including the last episode.

Im sad the series is over and sure if it went on It would have been nice if it was like search for spock the movie but they made no movies ,So i guess i'm saying the whole last episode was good except for trip's death but at least he died a warriors death saving his captain.It bothered me more that tpol and trip never developed their relationship and you cant blame that on these are the voyages.I dont really care much for Riker but I think he did a good job also. I just dont get why so many think it was such a bad ending. The show allways let you remember the risks that were taken.
  • Disgraceful. An insult to Trek fans. Should be deleted from the series archives. Nearly drove the whole franchise into the ground. Spoilers below - as if Braga's self-indulgent writing didn't "spoil" the show already. "True to itself?" That's meaningless.

I leave this review as a warning beacon to Trek fans in the future who journey here to find out about this episode: Do not approach, leave this system at maximum warp.

The many shortcomings of this episode could have warranted the coining of a new word in the English language: "multifailure." Bad format. Bad story. Bad character resolutions. Bad omissions. It's no wonder that cast member Jolene Blalock went off on the writers, calling this eipsode "appalling... a reminder of why we're being cancelled."

First, the episode is presented as a series of MTV-style focus interviews, where characters explain the action in flashbacks for viewers who are too dumb to figure it out watching a straight narrative. Ugh. And it's set in the framework of a holodeck story during an old episode of The Next Generation. Rather than being a tribute to loyal fans of Enterprise, they decided to exhume an obscure story from TNG. Why?

Then there's the treatment of the characters. The popular Trip is killed in a ridiculously contrived scenario that has a ragtag group of pirates overtaking, boarding and commandeering the Enterprise. There's not an ounce of suspense or drama to his death, which obviously cut off the long-developing relationship that had been brewing between Trip and T'Pol. So zero payoff for all that development, and we get neither a symbolic first union between the different races (certainly the theme of the series, and arguably the single most important theme in all of Star Trek) nor the drama of a death scene between the two lovers. Lame.

The other plot point that had been building over the course of many episodes was the birth of the Federation, with a legendary speech to be delivered by Jonathan Archer. We have heard about the impact of this speech on the characters, and we see Archer preparing for the speech, even walking out to deliver it - and then nothing. The writers apparently decided we didn't need to actually hear it. Yeah, why would any fans of Star Trek want to hear words of insipiration which summarize the spirit of the show, on the last episode of (what was at the time) the last Trek show left on TV? We would much rather hear an overweight, overaged Riker tell us what a valuable lesson he learned from his holodeck experience.

So if you are reading this and you haven't actually seen the episode, do yourself the best favor you can do in your Enterprise-watching life and skip it. Go and re-watch the excellent penultimate episode, "Terra Prime," which is a pretty-good wrap-up for the storylines, series, and Pre-Abrams franchise. Imagine the bright future for Trip & T'pol and the Federation which had been hinted at over four seasons. And save yourself from the heavy disppointment of watching perhaps the worst-conceived episode in the entire franchise.
  • I wish I could award it a 0!! The worst thing I ever watched. Such a shame.

There is nothing to say other than DON'T WATCH it. I wish they could release a film and fix the ending, from the moment they 'killed' off the vulcan-human baby the show needs fixing! After all, in another episode there was a child of T'Pol and Trip alive and well - no problems with his genes there. This episode was just plain wrong. The Next Generation conection was forced in and took over, the ridiculous behaviour of the Enterprise characters and the plot was all wrong, wrong, wrong. I can't stand Number2 (Ricard) and the all knowing chef ...WHAT was that? I cant possibly find 100 words to rewiev this - is bad, ruined the really good series that I really enjoyed and should e deleted and fixed !! LOL..end of rant!
  • !!!Stay away!!!

I am so very sorry that I did not read the warnings from the reviewers of this last episode. I should never have watched it, and I really regret I did. After a hesitating start, a fantastic third season and a very good fourth, this finale is bad, it's an evil, stupid pile of wasted opportunities. Star trek writers and producers like to show off with their knowledge and respect for 'the legacy'... well, this is where they killed it. (Read the other reviews for details)
    Seriously : be warned. Don't watch!
  • The worst episode ever! It never happened! (spoilers!)

What was that!
    Things that went wrong about this episode:

1. Trip's death - totally not nessesary and pointless, i mean hello!? what happened to the Security personnel on the ship? You think he could at least buy time for security to get there instead of pointlessly blowing himself up to take out three other guys!? (*cry* he was my favourite character)

2. Trip/T'Pol relationship – what happened!? After everything that they had gone through they just "broke up", i am not buying it. They just thought it would easier to axe the relationship instead of thinking outside the box to why they can't stay together (cause i am pretty sure the history books say that they were not the first human/Vulcan marriage). They could have said that due to the Xindi attack this is now a new timeline or something (which it kinda is already) or say they couldn't get married due to the large amount xenophobia going around at that time and it would be too controversial. Lol sorry for that huge complaint i am just a Trip/T'Pol shipper. 3. People acting out of character – not one person on the ship acted like themselves it was so frustrating, and Trip's death, Archer had known him what (doing some math) like 18ish years or something and he didn't even shed a tear, ditto with T'Pol. Sim (Trip clone) got a more emotional farewell and he wasn't even the real Trip. 4. Why is Shran more important than the main cast? – Basically the whole story(the part which is on enterprise) revolved around Shran and finding his daughter..... isn't he a minor character? Very weak storyline if you ask me.

5. Riker and Troi – Why does this episode revolve around them? Isn't it called Star Trek: Enterprise not Star Trek: The Next Gen. And they do not look how they did however many years ago it was (like 15 years or something). Throughout this whole episode i was hoping that it would be another epic Star Trek time travel episode: someone goes back in time and sets things right (save Trip etc.) When it didn't happen i was ready to jump off a cliff. This episode made me cry of shear horror. In my view it never happened, Terra Prime was the last episode for me. Anyway enough from me, it was good to get that off my chest lol.
  • Hateful - Cynical kick in the teeth for all fans of the show.

SPOILER ALERT! Enterprise became my favorite of the franchise, though I was skeptical to begin with, but I learned to accept Scott Bakula as Captain Archer and no longer Sam Beckett! :) I liked how the crew messed up from time to time, got nervous, didn't always have the right answers. TNG was always so sanctimonious, while Enterprise was more gritty and less whimsical. It (and the fans and the cast & crew) deserved more for its finale than the spectacle of Riker in a corset, waddling the ship's corridors in what felt like a TNG episode that someone left down the back of the couch. And they 'killed' Trip...if you believe that ;)
  • BUNCHA BUILD-UP TO NOTHING! WHERE'S CAPT. ARCHER'S "LEGENDARY" SPEECH?

nice send off....personally i cant stand FRAKES or the RYKER character but i "get" what he and TROI are doing. but they draw attention to a lousy TNG episode? unneeded! and they shoulda specified the show ENTERPRISE wasnt "entirely" a holodeck for the dim-witted, just this 1 episode was. and as i heard from anothers fan's point of view. the characters seem formulaic here and the dialogue and acting is off. you can clearly tell its the computer showing you "a recreation of events" they're not even a 100% factual people! season 4 shoulda ended with terra prime, and a 5th season? still do-able after this crappy episode if formulated...explain trip's death "plan" (since he is apparently alive in the novels honestly) and show the vulcan/romulus war and how the newly formed idea of a "federation of planets" in the episode prior, terra prime IS HIGHLIGHTED. basically the federation is instrumental in a cease fire treaty between the two warring worlds. use the fedrations allies (andorians, xindi, etc.) to back up the humans claim that cooperation is needed. hence, THE FEDERATION is truly formed out right. after all each captain is unique in their own way. capt. kirk's the warrior, capt. picard is the explorer, capt. sisko's the builder, capt janeway is the independent one and capt. archer is the DIPLOMAT captain. and it woulda been a great show! (plus, its still better than "voyager" any day of the week lol) not hearing ARCHERS "legendary speech" was the most heartbreaking moment of this episode. i must say you leave this series on a sour note :(
  • A totally out of character and unworthy ending and episode for a great series.

While many people disliked this series, I immediately loved the series (not for the actors) but for the period in the Federation's history it covered.

This series was to cover the birth of the Federation showing how Earth went from its Third World War to leading the dominate power in our galaxy in only 1,000 years.

Yet, the last several episodes, and beyond a shadow of a doubt this episode, failed to show the birth of all we have come to hope for and respect - The Federation.

Instead of exploring the forces at work and the contributions (planets, groups, and individuals) required to bring forth the Federation expanded upon a "Next Generation" episode (which had no relationship to the occurring historical events).

Honestly having the last six episodes being a mini-arc about the birth process and the forces at work -- pro & con is what the Star Trek community deserved. Showing us the fears, worries, and attempts to abort the coming birth would be more interesting.

Finally, the creators did a great dis-service to themselves, the cast, and audience by not remembering to return to the beginning showing how Earth's growth will lead so greatly into the future.

A better last episode might have been from a class room perspective in the year 3,000 or even 4,000.

The series, Gene Rodenberry, and all of us deserved better! I'm glad Universal replaced the creators.
  • The last episode, unfortunately...

My opinion is Rick Berman knew that the show was condemned, so they found an original conclusion with Will Riker and the holodeck. Look at the last scene, we saw the Enterprise D, the NCC-1701 and the NX-01 with the respective voice of her Captain...
    A great moment in Star Trek Tv saga...
    In France, myself and all my friends, we love Enterprise. I Think Berman, Braga and all the people who were involved in Star Trek since the Next Generation were at their's best with Enterprise...
    We will see in the next few weeks, with J.J.Abrams' movie, if Berman was or wasn't in Gene Roddenburry's continuity....
  • A highly underapricated series finale. A perfect ending to a show that ended before it's time.

I have read many reviews of "These Are the Voyages" that are mainly bad reviews stating it was an awful ending. I disagree. Enterprise was a great series and in my opinion the best of the Star Trek shows. The first two seasons developed the show quite well and we did many things throughout the series so we could end up at this point. The signing of the federation charter is a pivital moment and bridging the two shows together like they did was a perfect way to do it. "These are the Voyages" was a perfect ending to this great show.
  • Excellent ending! A must watch!

A great way to end a great series! The final sequence with the three captains of the different Enterprises was the best way of ending it. Worth seeing just for that! It's sad that Tucker died but that his death was good, protecting his captain. Another season would have been great but atleast it ended well!
  • One of the worst episode ever for the star trek series. I saw and it sucked really badly i didnt like the last few episode of the series. Ok so hope if they make another series that they will make it better then star trek enterprise hopefully a new series

i started watching the thrid season because i started likng it. Also the last few episodes also sucked too. This was the worst series finale ever for star trek. I really hope that they make a new star trek series and call it Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. That would be really sweet
  • Its not the best finale (What You Leave Behind eill take some beating) but overall it was entertaining and gave good closure to the series - there were some naff bits though.

Dont think for a second that this is a classic episode, it certainly isnt, but with the birth of the Federation, the death of a major character and the decommissioning of Enterprise this was a good finale with a sense of closure for the series. Now on to the faults; first of all was the way Trip died, it was a bit pointless - he has gotten out of tougher situations before - I wasnt keen on it, or the "brush over" of the crew's mourning, we only saw a 3 minute conversation about it between T'Pol and Archer, the rest didnt even say "Oh No"! The inclusion of Riker, Troi and Data was a nice touch, if you look closely in Ten Forward you can see Picard in the background aswell, they look older but come on, its been 11 years what did we expect? The sets were close enough but the Enterprise-D corridor looked wrong and the doors were far too Orange. The generated Enterprise-D looked superb, giving the message "if TNG was still running this is what the Enterprise would look like", excellent. The overall plot was fine, the Shran thing was a bit disconnected from the Federation birth story but it was all integral with Trip's death so its inclusion was understandable. I suppose its because I always like finale's that I am giving this a high score, also because the last 20 seconds with the 3 Enterprises and voiceovers was a fantastic conclusion to what has been for me a great series (DEFINITELY better than Voyager).
  • WAFFY Closure, Stop F*kin complaining, u would bitch more if they didn't BELEIVE me i know you would...

Yeah yeah, it had some mistakes on set production and it was obvious troi and riker were older than they were but u can't help but feel warm and smile for them TRYING to give us some closure upon notice of Enterprise's cancellation, they COULD have just left it at Terra Prime with no wrap up wotsoever. COME ON, they were cancelled, had a gun to their metaphorical heads, and they gave the fans something to go out on: an episode with warm and fuzzyness summing up the pasts and presents of star trek and finally leaving off with at least a small sense of completeness... THEREFORE, for THAT, I'm gonna give this one a full blown 10!
  • My thoughts on this great finale.

I felt very compelled to anti the wave of criticism this episode received as to make an account with this place and write a review. I never do this. Partly because normally I canna be bothered. But after seeing "mediocre" plastered next to the not so impressed grey fella's emoticon face, something had to be said!

Taking into account the last few episodes, it was possible to see the birth of the federation upon us. An episode was bound to be dedicated to this event, and which better to do so than this one! I thought that it was a great idea to bring in TNG and use it to catch a 3rd-person glimpse of what was going to happen (or to be more precise, what had already happened!) I bet everyone who saw Riker standing there on Enterprise glazed everyone's eyes in nostalgia. For a series that was ended way too soon, a fitting end is a difficult one. They could have left us hanging, but the point of that would have been astronomically without one. All good things must come to an end, and any ending of an incomplete series is gonna leave us feeling unsatisfied. However, don't let that feeling confuse your thoughts over this great episode finale!
  • The bigest SH*T ending in the history over series.

So the first thing that needs to be mentioned is that if you haven't seen this episode JUST DON'T F**KING WATCH IT. It's a big pile of SH*T I can't believe my eyes, after watching this episode... i just cant find words to express my EMO RAGE. There should be a warning sign of some kind. I'v been siting in front of my computer for 10 minutes trying to find the words but i just can't. Well i just wanted to point of that I'm not one of thous big star trek fans, i just watch this because of the new movie. I was pleasantly surprised, well not by Scott Bakula acting because that was really bad, and the first season was filed with cheese and subliminal racism hehe, can't really get over how much Anthony Montgomery was smiling if the first season. and how bakula was speaking to everybody like he was their father. Jolene Blalock is either a really bad actor or a really good one. I can't really say she really grew on my especial after she started wearing a non volcan grey ugly looking suite. Also i think she cut her hair at one time and the wig she was using got a a lot smaller and made her head look normal size. To bad they didn't let her hair out. She was really beautiful in the episodes she wasn't using the wig.
  • These Are The Voyages... This is the worst series finale ever because:

Frakes and Sirtis are just too old to literally fit in the former uniforms and pose as the ones that they were 11(!) years ago.
    He has clearly put on too much weight in the meantime. They simply do no longer go through as that young. Sirtis' accent is to mention, too.
    Why did this episode have to happen during the seventh season of Tng? Ah, I know: So the writers can say that Archer WAS mentioned in at least one episode that took place before Enterprise, as so many fans complained about this inconsistency- But in this case it is forced into it and does in NO WAY work.
    What about chronologically correct three years after Nemesis on the Titan or at Starfleet Academy (if the Titan was too expensive or saved for a possible movie)?
    This would have served the continuity SO WELL and they both would not have been had to be made any younger.
    Better believably old than incredibly young.
    Riker and Troi could have held a dissertation about the last days of Archer's Enterprise and with a little creativity one would have found a more suitable and proper solution to receive information or to put Riker, Troi and Archer's crew together, even in a real(!) way.
    But this had to happen during the Pegasus-Episode which does not at all fit and I cannot decide which reasons to name first:

Error 1: Right after the opening credits they used footage from the episode "Menage a Troi" where the crew was wearing the old uniforms with the line on the shoulders.
    Error 2: If you look closely, in this old footage the original Riker can be seen which makes two Commanders as the "new" Riker is placed into digitally. Funny.
    Error 3: It were the ghosts of the Pegasus' dead crew members who convinced Riker that he had to tell Picard the truth, not the speech at the end of this episode.
    Error 4: I do not recall that the holodeck of the Enterprise-D had the ability of putting the appropriate clothing over the normal one.
    As far as I know they always had to redress for themselves.
    Error 5: Since when did the holodeck have an objective mode?

Are we really to believe that Riker can participate in such events that took place so many years in the past or overhear a private(!) conversation as the one Archer and T'Pol had after Trip died?
    In such early years Archer and his crew surely had NO WAY and intention of recording every single step, word or actions they made just for a future somebody who is in the mood to re-enact it.
    We were alway shown and told that simple holograms are limited and now we are to buy that Riker gets and takes advice from them?
    Fans deserve the REAL Enterprise crew and not some holograms. But the writers took this into account as they DID want to have Riker and all of Archer's Crew
    interact together at any cost.
    They want to sell us that whilst Pegasus the Commander had nothing better to do than posing as Enterprise's Chef listening to private talks and shooting Aliens? Riker takes the place of a Maco during the shooting on the planet and by doing so he already alternates the happening as there was NO Riker then.
    And how was the alien ship capable of reaching the Enterprise? Shran said their ship could not do so. And what about firing back or so?
    They were boarded, everybody did know it- and for minutes there was no Maco or only a single crewmember who (just coincidentally) came by to interfere like on a derelict ship. Just long enough for trip to fool the aliens so that
    he could blow himself and them up. What a stupid, senseless and certainly not heroic death... Well...
    The speech:
    We do not even get to hear the speech practically every fan was waiting for. This is fooling the fans as we know it from Voyager's finale.
    Troi seems like she wanted to deactivate the holodeck before Archers begins his speech I had to memorize this speech in grammar school (which means I surely do not want to hear it again now as I hated it already then)."

"These Are The Voyages..." should embarrass and aggravate everyone who sais he or she is a Star Trek-fan.
  • An Intentional insult to all

Rather than give enterprise fans a send off they instead focus on a holodeck program aboard the enterprise D set during the 7th season.The first mistake right thier ,Riker and Deanna appear and the viewers think "how come riker looks like hes exploded in a fat shop?"set during the episode pegasus which featured riker having torn loyalties between orders and his sense of honour.Don't recall riker nipping off to the holodeck every 5 minutes during the crisis with the hunt for the ship, the stand off with the romulans,being sealed inside an asteroid and violating the treaty of algeron.Wow busy day.
    It may or may not have happened at all due to all the inconsistencies in the episode.It seems to focus on a minor plot about kidnapping and fake diamonds things(Riveting).set 10 years after enterprise launch at the signing of the Coalition charter none of the crew have aged,been transferred or even promoted .All our favourites have come through the very recent romulan war completely unscathed.Suddenly and implausibly, A warp 2 ship catches up with enterprise after they help out shran and his daughter .Trip dies a pointless death and its all over .
    What a pointless pointless episode.
    The official novel continuation of the series goes to great lengths to right the episode off as a bad holodeck trip and spends an entire book repairing the damage done by this foul little episode.
    I still watch this occasionally when i want to get nice and angry
  • "These Are the Voyages" is a terrible excuse for a series finale. The series should have ended with "Terra Prime". The ideal ending for Enterprise should have taken place like this:

2.5

Captain Archer returns to Enterprise after stopping Robocop from attacking Starfleet headquarters and destroying his base on Mars. Everyone welcomes him back to the bridge, expressions of relief and gratitude are exchanged. Captain Archer gives a heartfelt speech about how humanity is facing a moment in history that will determine its fate in universe, basically tl;dr slush. Then, as he is finishing his speech, there is a brilliant flash of light. Locutus:"I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance is futile. Your life as it has been is over. From this time forward, you will service...us."

Sam Beckett:"Oh boy.."
  • Need a redo on this Series Finale. What a shame.

I was brushing up on my basic Trek knowledge for the upcoming release of Star Trek Online. So after 3 weeks I just finished the entire Enterprise series and was very let down by the Series Finale. The story line felt rushed and very helter skelter. Take away the TNG tie in, Tuckers needless death, add 1 or more hours of a Manny Coto written story line, plus Archers speech and this would have been a fitting end to a very entertaining series. Jolene Blalock said it best "Appalling" the way this "Franchise" series was sent off. With a BIG 6 yr gap and roughly 90 yrs of Archers and T'Pols life left, Paramount needs and or owes to the Trek fans, to add an alternate ending or extra episodes to the DvD set to straighten this out. They have the time and the $$$$ after the success of Star Trek The Movie. So lets get hot and get this done. After all Star Trek is not going away anytime soon.
  • A criminally underappreciated show dies in shame.

What exactly makes this episode so bad? Is it the fact that it is not exactly an "Enterprise" episode, but in fact more of a TNG ep? Is it the fact that the writers chose to completely ignore certain events and character development that happened during the final season? Maybe it's the fact that everyone in it behaves completely out of character. Let me just say that the idea of having Riker and Troi in "The Finale" was not at all that bad, but the execution was down right embarrassing. For one, they both look way too old for the timeframe in which they were put. How the hell was anyone supposed to buy this? And what exactly was Riker hoping to learn from Commander Tucker's suicide? Oh yes, and they (Riker & Troi) usurp way too much screen time! And why would a man like Tucker ever do something stupid like killing himself like that? Hi didn't look suicidal to me! And what about his relationship with the Vulcan chick? Did the writers really expect us to believe that they just 'broke up?' After all the sh*t they've been through together? Come on! I can go on with these questions forever, but instead I'll just forget I ever saw this horror.
  • these are the voyages is possibly the worst episode in the whole shows history.

for me star trek enterprise was the best of all the star treks as it presented a more realistic enterprise & more realistic space travel.There was also a lot more character progression & you really got to know the characters & could relate to them so much more than the previous star treks.This episode breaks completely from the plot & lands you 6 years on from the last episode which is bad enough only then to learn that your actually watching an episode of the next generation what were the writers thinking.well we'll never know as the show finished after this very poor excuse for a series finale.
  • A great potential for a memorable finale gone severely wrong.

3.5
    As a fan of Star Trek I decided a long time ago to give Star Trek: Enterprise a chance. While I agread with some of the negative things said about it in the initial reviews I did, for the most part, enjoy it. I actually started watching it towards the end of series two, the first episode I ever saw being 'Dawn'. Series 4 was my favorite series without a doubt as it was more fan - friendly. However It did have its pitfalls which brings me to the point of this whole entry, 'These are the Voyages'.

As far as Enterprise episodes go it wasn't the worst by far, the episode 'A night in sickbay' comes to mind in that respect. But.... the final episode of the show, not to mention the promised Valentine episode promised by Brannon/Bragga created in me expectations that where sorely underwhelmed by the mediocrity that was TATV. I wanted a tribute to Enterprise with drama, suspense and heartwarming moments, not the 'Next Generation' Flashback that we got. I don't watch the next generation and therefore haven't seen the episode that apparently inspired this unfortunate train-wreck. I was confused as to what was happening with the Riker & Troi plot and failed to see how what happened on the Enterprise was connected to it. I mean okay he wanted to know if following orders should come before doing the right thing but for crying out load there must be simpler and more time-friendly ways to do that.

There was IMO one highlight to this episode, Tpol. I liked seeing her expressive or a change because not only did it give a glimpse o just how adversely humans can affect Vulcan's in long term contact but it also gave Jolene Blalock to bring something other that stone cold, cardboard performances to the set of Enterprise. I really enjoyed her performance in this finale and consider it the only reason I have not shunned this episode and conditioned my mind to think of 'Terra Prime' as the last episode. Well done Jolene.
  • lazy writing and an impausible ending left many dissapointed

This finale is one of the worst I've seen for any show. Although I didn't mind Riker and Troi coming back in and of itself, the story was for a minor episode of TNG and really did not fit for a proper send off for the show.

The main down point was the complete reversal of the Trip/T'pol relationship from the previous episode. It was like watching a war of the writers. The writer of the last episode was almost shouting "I said no relationship!" when the previous episodes finally showed this relationship going somewhere. (although it was mostly bungled from the get go)

Also killing the Trip character was pointless and it seems like they did it just to add a dramatic ending to the show. Such a major charcter death could have been dealt with like Spock dying, but the characters were way to blase about it.

None of the other characters even had that. After six years, they are still the same rank and doing the same job? Just lazy and implausable.

Not showing Archer's speech was the frosting on the cake for the laziness of this episode. The writer's tried to build this up as a "valentine" to the fans, but after watching this, this was cheap spin as they showed us they couldn't care less and have already moved on. Very disapppointing.
  • Horrible, just horrible

Next to "Spock's Brain" and "The Naked Now", this episode still shines as possibly the worst episode of any Star Trek series EVER!. I love Trek, I really do, and after the fact, I even have started to really dig Enterprise, but there was NO excuse for this episode. A dead Trip and a fat, old Riker made this episode almost unwatchable. The only thing that could have made this episode worse was maybe having Whoppi Goldburg show up as the chef after all this time. Come on! This show, really, was the best Trek, episode for episode. But to give it the big send off to DVD with this load of used Tribble food was an out and out insult to every geek who has ever put on a pair of pointed ears and stood proudly in line for an autograph at aa convention. BOO to the writers and shame on Paramount. The nail certainly has been placed in the Trek universe with one.
  • Have just seen this for the first time and it really is as bad as most people warned me it would be

The TNG crew should never have been included. Jonathan Frakes has aged too much to pull off Pegasus era Riker. And the fact that you know all along that it's only a simulation leaves you feeling oddly detached rather than gripping you and pulling you in to the story.

Everybody who commented that Trip's death was senseless - I fully agree

Everybody who commented on the implausibility of years going by since the last episode with no personnel changes - I fully agree!

This is sheer laziness on the part of the writing team. Why do we not hear Archer's speech at the end? If this is so crucial to the foundation of the Federation then might it not have been worth including? Instead they come up with "computer - end program" followed by some half-arsed footage of the three Enterprises with the respective captains reading the "mission statement" - Oh that's genius!!! Must have taken a lot of head scratching to come up with that.

This is the first time I've been motivated to review anything, just to vent my anger. That's how bad it was.

Very disappointed. I did enjoy most of this series
< 1 2 3