Star Trek: The Animated Series

Bem

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Sep 14, 1974 on NBC

6.7
  • Bem, an erratic observer from the planet Pandro, secretly watches the crew of the USS Enterprise to determine whether the Federation is ready to open diplomatic relations with his advanced species.

The story for this one, by David Gerrold, was one he thought of for the original series; but really, the science fiction idea of a colony character like Bem (who can separate into different parts) fits the Animated Series like a glove. Unfortunately, the episode drags a bit. Even the God-like entity that graces the episode (and sounds remarkably like Uhura) says about twenty minutes in, "You are still here? You are still interfering?" And I'm like, "I hear you, sister. It seems like it's been an hour." But the ending is pretty good, even if it takes a while to get there.
  • Kirk and Spock have to baby sit Bem while they survey a new planet, but Bem causes more trouble than he is worth.

5.8
    I didn't like this episode as much as I though I would have. The character Bem is interesting because he can split into several pieces, but he is also annoying. Besides the ability of being able to split into many body parts, he is a dull character that made no really memorable impression on me. The story wasn't that good either compared to other episodes of the series. Overall, I don't know if everyone would like this episode, it wouldn't be my top choice for must see episodes. But, there are some that like this episode. So, this is definitely left to personal taste.