Star Trek: The Animated Series

Beyond the Farthest Star

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Sep 08, 1973 on NBC

7.6
  • Beyond the Farthest Star sets the scene for all animated Trek adventures to come. Overall, a good opener for the series and an all round, exciting, new and at the same time, familiar tale to be added to the Star Trek library.

Well I’ve just watched this episode (and my first animated Trek for that matter) and found it very contrary to what I was expecting. I was ready for a dull, boring and somewhat lacking production complete with characters acting differently, re-used plots from the original series and animations re-used every few minutes. The good news however is that this wasn’t the case.

Beyond the Farthest Star sets the scene for all animated Trek adventures to come. The crew comes across a dead star of which a gigantic and very exotic star-ship is orbiting. Straight away you know that this is exactly what should have been done with an animated version of an already established sci-fi series. What that is, is that it allows the writers to create environments and effects that just wouldn’t have been possible back in the late sixties.

Performances from the cast are terrific, each sounding like they did from the live-action series, which really does help establish familiar setting when moving onto such a radical change of format. Visuals and effects are all in all, pretty good for early seventies animation and the story itself is gripping with only a few minor flaws.

As this is my first encounter with any form of animated Trek adventure, I’m looking forward to venturing further into the series after watching this episode. Overall, a good opener for the series and an all round, exciting, new and at the same time, familiar tale to be added to the Star Trek library.

8/10