Star Trek: The Animated Series

How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Oct 05, 1974 on NBC

7.3
  • A Native American "god" captures members of the Enterprise crew in this homage to "Who Mourns for Adonais?"

This is a solid, if unremarkable, episode (although it is noteworthy for marking the 100th appearance of Mr. Spock as well as winning the animated series an Emmy Award.) The story is reminiscent of "Who Mourns for Adonais?"; but Russell Bates, a Native American who helped write the script, gives "How Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth" some fresh ideas, thanks to his knowledge of the Native American culture. Unfortunately, like the rest of the series, the dialogue wasn't recorded in ensemble fashion. As a result, the pronunciation of Kukulkan varies. Kirk pronounces it wrong, and everyone else pronounces it correctly!
  • While in space, the Enteprise comes in contact with the Mayan god Kukulkan.

This is another personal favorite episode that I really enjoyed, but others may not really like. So this is written on the personal enjoyment level alone. Much like the Goa'uld that are on Staragate, the Enterprise encouters an alien that in Earth's past was worshipped as a god. He is also the inspiration behind other relics of the past such as the Chinese dragon, which is understandable since he looks like a Chinese dragon on the episode. I have always enjoyed episodes of Trek that are based on human culture and past so I really did like this episode. If you are like me and enjoy history and figures of the past, then you will like this episode as well.