Star Trek: The Animated Series

One of Our Planets is Missing

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Sep 22, 1973 on NBC

7.3
  • One of our Planets is Missing follows a Trek tradition of Enterprise coming into path of super-being-like cloud floating in unknown space. Overall, the episode is thought-provoking by the end credits, but lacks somewhat in visuals and performance.

One of our Planets is Missing follows a Trek tradition of Enterprise coming into path of super-being-like cloud floating in unknown space. As the crew continues to research and investigate the clouds behaviour, it is established that the cloud feeds upon the energy and matter of full planets in order to survive. In order to save the lives of millions, the crew of the Enterprise must find a way to stop the being from destroying the planet.

The story that of OPM is an interesting one, mainly because it doesn’t really go anywhere for the first 15 or so minutes and then finally gets to the real point, where finally something relevant is brought up for discussion rather than a bucket full of techno babble. For the most part however, and most importantly, this episode does strike at a very important issue in modern day lifestyles and of course, establishes and develops on a now well-known Trek philosophy.

Performances are as a whole, average, with nothing neither really standing out nor crossing the line of dull.

Visually, the episode is bland with a lot of re-used animations from previous episodes and by now I can tell already which ones I’ll probably see in nearly all the episodes to come. The alien-cloud being is decent enough but nothing spectacular, the direction of the Enterprise entering the being could have been done with greater realism however.

Overall, One of our Planets is Missing is a thought-provoking episode by the end credits, but lacks somewhat in visuals and performance. Plus a well-developed introduction to the issue dealt with in the last third of the episode could have done it a world of good.

5/10