Star Trek: The Animated Series

The Jihad

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Jan 12, 1974 on NBC

7.8
  • Kirk and Spock are asked to help find a stolen holy item that will cause a holy war if not returned

7.9
    I really don't know what it was about this episode, but I couldn't get into that good. It was really well written, and the story was interesting, but I guess it just isn't my favorite kind of storyline. Some pretty interesting scenery was used in this episode that also had some pretty interesting aliens in it as well. Overall, a really good episode that is worth liking, but some people as myself may not like it as much as other episodes in this series. Still, I say that it is not the worst, I know it isn't. It's just not a personal favorite of mine.
  • Kirk and Spock are chosen to join a party attempting to retrieve a religious relic that was stolen.

Like "The Savage Curtain" (Original Series, third season), this episode's premise is that Kirk and Spock have more or less made the intergalactic equivalent of an "All Star" team, and they get to join the other all stars in a quest. Unlike "The Savage Curtain", this one is a solid episode all the way through, with an interesting twist along the way. Writer Stephen Kandel, who wrote "Mudd's Women", "I, Mudd" and "Mudd's Passion", delivers his best Star Trek script here – and Harry Mudd is nowhere to be found. Perhaps Kandel should have been writing dramas instead of comedies all along.