Star Trek: The Next Generation

Angel One

Aired Unknown Jan 25, 1988 on CBS

• EXCELLENT

Fuck you all and your bad ratings!!! This episode was awesome. Hilarious! I wish I lived in a world like that! I'll be wonder woman's bitch! The subplot was funny too! Classic.
  • Angel One

Oh lord.

Gender politics on Star Trek have never been very cutting edge. For all their grand visions of the future, genre writers have often struggled with an inability to create convincing female characters, or give them a role to play beyond "pretty, pretty princess" or In the sixties, this was forgivable. Different times, different values, and maybe the Sexual Revolution hadn't really caught up to Prime Time quite yet. We can accept this as a flaw inherent in the design, mention it when it becomes impossible to ignore, but generally get on with our lives. I expected more from TNG. Not because the '80s were a hotbed for feminism, but because that now is closer to our now. I mean, I was alive in the '80s! Women had jobs and everything back then.

Here we have a brand new cast, and we have women in leading roles, which is great. There's the doctor, no problems there, and the counselor who reads people's emotions... um. Well, maybe that will prove more useful later on. How about the head of security? That's undeniably bad-ass, right? I mean, once you get past her clear psychological problems and the whole "rape gang" issue, she's a strong, forceful character, one who flies off the handle at a moment's provocation, which is exactly the attitude you'd want in someone in her position. Er. Still, it's a step in the right direction. We live in a world, after all, when casting a woman as a star ship captain was somehow considered a big deal. Geeks don't really enjoy "change," especially when that change involves ladies who yell and order and don't charge by the hour.

So I'll give them some credit. Then "Angel One" shows up, and, gah, I don't even know anymore. It's not even as though the episode was that bad. It mostly made sense, or at least it made roughly the same amount of sense as everything else we've seen so far. Apart from Riker's ridiculous outfit, nothing here made me cringe with embarrassment ala "The Naked But the concept is so thoroughly inane that I feel like I can't give this a passing grade.

The planet of Angel One is a matriarchy, because here, the women are physically powerful and the men are weak and wear lots of paisley. It's exactly like Earth used to be, only with the gender roles reversed. Oh wow, what a crazy mix-up! And you know, when the women get the power, they go absolutely nuts with it. Like, dictatorship and disagree-with-me-on-penalty-of-death style nuts. It's the sort of place the new Enterprise should avoid like the plague, given the dictates of the Prime Directive. I mean, a matriarchy is such an obvious affront to God and Nature that any red-blooded male wouldn't be able to stop himself from getting involved. Too bad, then, that Picard and the rest of his team of misfits have tracked three escape pods from the disabled freighter Odin to the Angel One. Looks like it's time for some red hot Riker interference.

Sci-fi nearly always gets goofy when it posits matriarchal societies. "Angel One" is a more modern version of movies like Queen Of Outer Space, which features a team of dude astronauts crash-landing on a planet ruled by, well, you follow the rest. In Queen, the men have to rescue the "good" women from the evil queen, whose evilness rests on the fact that she was horribly burned, making her physically ugly and therefore undesirable. She has the gall to hit on the hero of the movie, and even though the hero could save everyone's lives by sucking it up, he's overcome by the Butherface Blues, rejects her, and winds up with Zsa Zsa Gabor. It's an amazing picture, I strongly recommend checking it out.

The point, anyway, is that matriarchies in fiction are often built around powerful women who would perfectly happy hanging out at home if they ever met a real man. "Angel One" doesn't do a damn thing to buck this trend, despite its pretensions towards depth. Beata, the elected leader of the only society we ever meet, is forceful, direct, and calm. She's also immediately turned on by Riker's masculine charms, and while she doesn't go quite so far as to abdicate power, she does sleep with him, and pay more attention to his big speech at the end of the episode than she otherwise might've. There's a lot of hilarious sexual harassment, which is funny because, see, usually it's a man who does the harassing, not the woman! Ha! Crazy times. I'm not sure what the reversal is supposed to achieve, honestly. It's like when Disclosure came out, and to teach men a lesson because good lord, who'd want Demi Moore groping them at work?

Even worse is how completely the episode dismisses the male population of the planet. Beata is trying to put down a potential rebellion, which prompts Riker to give a lecture on evolution and progress and so forth, but the only reason Angel One is experience any civil unrest is due to those pesky survivors of the Odin. They crash-landed, and repaid the locals' hospitality by immediately seducing and marrying some of them. Going by the Prime Directive--the Directive that gets referenced multiple times in this episode--isn't this a bad thing? The "progress" here is being introduced by an outside influence, and not developing organically from within the society. The men of Angel One are largely background noise. Only one gets a name, and he doesn't seem all that keen on the revolution, to tell the truth. Really, this is just another version of the Queen fantasy world. These women aren't entirely alone, but the guys they do have are so obviously inferior to real men that they're willing to throw over their culture and betray their race for a chance at the Marlboro Man.

There's a sub-plot about a virus loose on the Enterprise. It's silly, although it does give us Geordi alone on the Bridge for a scene or two. The virus is used to make predicament of Riker and his away team more pressing, because Beverly refuses to allow anyone back on the ship once the infection starts spreading. This is absurd. The illness hadn't caused any deaths yet, and the Odin survivors were facing execution. Besides, how hard is it to quarantine people on a space ship? The Enterprise should have stronger protocols for potential contaminants, giving how often the crew members interact with alien races. To have everything collapse because of a bad case of the sniffles is absurd.

That's par for the course for this episode, though. As an attempt to approach real-life social issues from a different angle, it's a failure, and that makes it impossible to enjoy on a pure story level. I'm willing to put up with a lot, TNG, but you'll have to do better than this.
  • Definitely not the bast ST:TNG had to offer.

4.4
    Ick. I can buy the idea that women can be stronger than men, but the concept was carried a bit too far in this episode. After all, the biological reason that, for centuries, men were the bread-winners is the simple fact that women, not men, get pregnant and give birth to children. Nothing about the birth and care of children was mentioned in this episode.
  • Battle of the sexes....

"Angel One" is an interesting episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation - but a very flawed one. The Enterprise crew is hot on the trail of refugees from a destroyed starship that leads them to a planet, Angel One, that is very different from the human order: the women are dominant and in charge while the men are docile and considered objects (Hilary Clinton would love it). Trouble ensues when the refugees are seen as rebels and a nasty strain of illness makes its way through the crew of the Enterprise.

Well, that is how the writers see the late 80s society anyway - as they used the women-dominated culture and the equality of the sexes culture of the Federation to butt heads to hammer the "equality" message home to the audience until blood is drawn. If you did not notice how the show at this point tried to badmouth the primitive state of the pre-24th Century humans (so basically, the show's audience) every chance it gets, you will in this episode. Riker makes an especially eye-rolling speech about "evolution" versus "revolution," and you really just want him to get off of his lame soapbox and end the episode already.

That being said, "Angel One" is not completely bad - most of the pluses do go hand-in-hand with the minuses however. The portrayal of the women-lead culture is an interesting idea - but not completely handled well, (whoever gave the green light to the costumes seen in this episode should have been fired). Also, Karen Montgomery's performance of Beata, the ruler of Angel One, is quite good for a first season guest star - she's a real looker too. The only problem with the character is her half-romance with Riker. Beata seems to want to be submissive to Riker anyway, despite her "I am woman, hear me roar" culture. I find this odd considering the fact that she lived her whole life in this women-lead culture and is currently seeing over it at this point, why would she suddenly not want to be the strong woman that her race demands? I guess Riker was too dreamy?

"Angel One" is not a bad episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, but it sure is not one of the stronger ones. The best part of the episode is the epidemic aboard the enterprise - and I found whatever Data was given to do very entertaining.
  • The Enterprise must deal with Angel 1, a planet ruled by women. Meanwhile, a virus spreads swiftly throughout the ship.

This "reverse gender roles" story (with a B story about a virus) is reminiscent of the original series but is executed rather flatly. It's sort of a poor man's "Justice" but without some of the silliness of that prior episode to drag it down. The most memorable part of "Angel One" is, perhaps, a gorgeous matte painting of the surface of the planet (Angel 1) which would be reused many times on this show, as well as in Deep Space Nine and Voyager. And speaking of reuse, footage from this episode would be reappear in the second season finale, "Shades of Gray", an episode that should remind us that even though "Angel One" is one of those Star Trek installments featuring two stories where neither really works, things could be a lot worse.
  • My take on this episode. Geordi LaForge commands the Enterpise due to the fact all others are sick with some respatory virus. Meanwhilw the away team is unable to beam up due to the viral outbreak. Only Data can beam up.

2.3
    I feel this episode is a precursor to Geordi LaForge being consider for Chief Engineer due to the fact he handled the situtation well while other senior officers had a respatory virus. But even LaForge was not immune. None of the away tem can beam up to the viral outbreak. Data is beamed aboard the enterpise. So the main plot seems to be the viral outbreak while the away team mission takes the backburner.
  • Strangely alluring

Firstly dont expect any fisticuffs in this episode. This is another moral battle for the crew to overcome. Ryker, Yar and Troi are the main protaganists here. Its good to see Ryker pegged down a notch and still he gets the girl! He aint no Han Solo!!! Still, thats one of the high points of the plot. The overall plot isnt that great but the subject at least was appealing to me. A reverse battle of the sexes if I may call it that. Where the surviving males are also the cause of unrest and a possible revolt against the Matriarchy. The only other element of the episode of interest is that not all the females want to remain as the superior sex and live secret lives w/ these men inc. one of the ruling class.

In a somewhat exciting finale (for this type of episode), the men face certain death until Ryker gives a pretty good speech for why the men should be spared.

Not a great episode, and dont worry if you miss it. If you find its on when youre vegging then Id watch it if I were you.
  • One of the weakest episodes of the 1st season, but not as awful as "Code of Honor" or "Justice".

Yeah, this episode is pretty bad. But to be honest -- it's not that much worse than most of the 1st season episodes. And it's not quite scraping the barrel in terms of boredom ("Code of Honor") or sheer absurdity ("Justice"), though it gets close.

The writers try to be provocative by beaming the Enterprise down to a planet run by women. I'm not sure what effect they were going for with this premise, but if it was viewer apathy they succeeded.

The plot aboard the planet is not without its moments (largely concentrated in a two minute span). Data discovering perfume is amusing, though the followup by Tasha and the others is really tedious. (Data may not know what perfume is, but do the viewers really need an explanation?) And the scene where Riker walks in that ridiculous costume to titters by Tasha and Troi... let's just say they should have laughed a lot harder.

The resolution of this plotline, where Riker gives a lame speech about "evolution" and "revolution", is awful. The planet leaders fall for this terrible speech hook line and sinker, making you wonder how their regime has survived all these years. (And also why you watched 45 minutes of this junk.)

The subplot about the illness aboard the Enterprise is even more pointless than the planetside story and must have been introduced solely for the purpose of padding.
  • Another one to avoid at all costs. Embarrassingly bad

2.4
    This episode reminds me of 'Justice' in many ways (and, funnily enough, none of them good). The Enterprise arrives at a human-like but 'backward' planet, in which the females oppress the males. It's a cliche as old as time itself and it's handled in an utterly ineffectual, downright laughable manner. No subtlety, no nuance and uniformly poor performances by just about all the guest actors.

The script is just an assortment of cliches - from the whole naff 'Amazon women' type concept, to the 'crew stricken by a mysterious illness' sub-plot...the latter of which is an exercise in utter pointlessness and I can only assume was hastily tacked on in a desperate attempt to add some drama to the meandering mess that comprises the main plot. Overall, this is extremely poor: almost offensively trite and quite embarrassing to watch.
  • Allusion not to another episode but to the eternal truths Mr Rodenbury and co-writers know of the universe.

The show has its basic formula for an episode, good looking women, a twist on our society in a specific idealy shocking or exotic way in order to effect introspection in the more sophisticated viewer and scintillation in the casual(they still have to make ratings, hello, attractive females, enter jeri ryan, t'pol, etc).

This episode has its highlight in Rikers speach on evolution and revolution. Evolution is indeed one of the most powerful forces in the universe. Enjoy this episode for it has some wisdom in it. Hope your cypher is strong enough.
  • Not really all that vital to the plot

Ok, I'll admit that as far as filler episodes go, 'Angel One' was a good one, it had a cheesy ending, but it's a good one. The only problem I really have with it is that it doesn't really have any point in the series except to maybe prove that the Enterprise crew can't always get what they want and also to show that Geordi knows how to captain the ship if necessary.

Plot line: The Enterprise is given the duty to find survivors of a ship that was badly damaged in an asteroid 'attack'. The escape pods of the survivors are tracked to a planet named 'Angel One' which the Federation has not had contact with for 62 years. Upon arrival on the planet, it is discovered that it is a primarily matrichal society (ie: run by women). This leads to various issues in communication and so on and so forth.

Anyway, the survivors are eventually located, but they refuse to leave with the Enterprise crew. Meanwhile, back on the Enterprise, a nasty virus is sweeping through the ship. Riker has a meeting with Mistress Beata (wearing very dodgy 'traditional garb'). Time moves on, Riker tries to 'steal' the survivors, but Doctor Beverly won't allow them on board because of the virus.

Etc Etc...in the end, the survivors are exiled to an unpopulated corner of the planet, Beverly cures the crew and everyone lives happily ever.

Like I said, filler episode with a cheesy ending.
  • One of the few pointless episodes in the series

2.8
    Bad episodes. Every series has at least one. Some have many more. Thankfully TNG doens't have many, unfortunately this is one of them, and probably one you should skip. This episode doesn't really have anything that makes TNG such a great show. The writing is lazy. We learn nothing new or exciting about the main characters of the Enterprise. We learn nothing of Star Trek lore. The episode is actually rather pointless because it doesn't advance "The Next Generation" or Star Trek as a whole. If the episode stood on its own, and was not part of TNG, then it would be even worse because it would have zero to offer.
  • Not worth your time.

The crew searches for survivors from a Federation freighter that are on the planet Angel One, where the women dominate and the boys look pretty in tutus. Riker womanizes the woman in charge while his away team find the survivors but do not want to leave, yet they are fugitives. But wait! The plot twist, one of the women from the government of the planet is with them male survivors! DUN DUN DUN!!! So it all comes to the Prime Directive, should they be removed by force or should they be left as they wish?

The conflict isn't very interesting, probably one of the worst Prime Directive episodes of TNG so far. I just didn't care for this episode, I didn't care if the survivors would be killed or not, I didn't care if Riker womanized the woman leader of the world. It was just a pointless episode, hell, made "Justice" look like a classic, so I won't recommend this one.

I give it 1 out of 5 stars. (2.0 on TV.com)