Star Trek: The Next Generation

Aquiel

Aired Unknown Feb 01, 1993 on CBS

6.4
  • Geordi falls in love with a representation of a woman... again

A decent episode, though it doesn't fully exploit the potential of the story. But my main issue is that Geordi falls in love with a representation of a woman before he actually meets her -- just like he did with Leah Brahms in TNG 306 - Booby Trap. The difference is that he hooks up with her this time. Still, she has to move on to her next assignment, so the relationship ends with the episode.
  • Yawn. Next.

A rare sixth season disappointment, this clunky "whodunit" Geordi episode comes across as contrived and forgettable. Rene Jones guest stars as Geordi's love interest, although truth be told, there's nothing interesting about her. As a result, the romance doesn't have any chemistry and the mystery quickly becomes tedious and boring. By the time the resolution has played out, we're ready to move on and forget about everything that has just happened: something the people making the show are happy to accommodate, never referencing the episode again.
  • StarTrek does CSI - badly and Geordi falls in love - badly!

Its bad, but not as much as some of the other reviewers have stated. The basic idea of the plot is fine, but its the relationship aspect between Geordi and Ariel that bring this episode down.

Essentially the plot follows your standard murder mystery in space. Set on a remote isolated relay station, the Enterprise discovers that both members of the team are missing. They find a pet dog and a some dna residue that indicates that one of them was possibly killed by disruptor fire.

The team setups about investigating the scene ala CSI w/ Georgi taking on the logs of the missing female ensign. Its this particular sequence of rather benign log entries that takes slow this middle act to much. To be fair they do at least reveal part some of the backstory. It does get better though when Aquiel is discovered in the missing shuttle floating in Klingon space and is brought to the Enterprise to refute claims that a Klingon officer boarded the station and killed everyone aboard.

However, even with the potential diplomatic issue that could arise, the intensity of the story hardly registers above a 3/10, in what is essentially a filler episode.

Relying on Geordi's hit-and-miss in love device was done to much and with the expectent result being a dud again, even if you havent watched the episode you will almost certainly guess that they will never get together. I guess perhaps that the almost forbidden love is aluring in its own way, but it never gets going.

The twist at the end however - though stale 16yrs later was wonderfully done at the time and I remember my surprise at realising there was more to come - and with deadly consequences. Thankfully Geordi keeps a phaser in a bedside cabinet - like they all do!
  • A great idea, ruined.

Maybe I have a soft spot for murder mysteries, but during the first 15 or so minutes of this episode, I find it hard to understand why so many fans dislike the episode. I don't even mind the sequences with Geordi watching the clips, slow as they may be. It's all part of escalating the tension.

Then Aquiel is found and everything goes down the tubes. Even this twist had potential - an Enterprise crew member, despite his better judgment, falls in love with a murder suspect and disaster ensues. Unfortunately, instead we get another lame Geordi romance. It's such a downer.

The high rating is for the parts with no Geordi-Aquiel romance. Collectively they make for a very good 15-20 minutes.
  • Not good, not bad.

I have to admit, as stupidly as it may have been done, it is satisfying to finally see Geordi get some action. Other than that though, the relationship is cheesy and the guest actress is unimpressive. I did love the plot twist at the end... it's just a shame it followed such a lame episode. I really liked the plot for the most part, and it kept me guessing throughout the entire episode. This one just goes to show how one bad actor or bad chemistry between two actors can ruin a show. When Geordi told Aquiel he believed her, I was thinking "why?" She was dishonest and all the evidence pointed her way. You're thinking with the wrong head, Geordi! Aquiel annoyed me, from her voice to her mannerisms, but then again is there any good way to deliver a line like "I'm scared, Geordi!" *sigh*
  • 2 errors: At end when they visit dog, it jumps to meet them, they're already kneeling, dog would've heard door open - Pickard communicates to Will to meet klingon visitors, Will says "we're on our way" cause with geordi. Pickard only called Will

3.9
    YUK!Also 2 errors - near end when they visit her dog, it's surprised and jumps off couch to greet them, but they're already kneeling waiting for him. Dog would've been alerted when door opened, also, pickard calls Will on communicator to meet klingon visitors, Will says "we're on our way" cause he was with geordi, but pickard only had called Will.
  • The “Enterprise” arrives at a remote subspace relay station. The station is near the Klingon border. Geordi, Riker and Beverly beamed to the station. They find no one aboard the station. What they do find is a dog and some human remains.

The “Enterprise” arrives at a remote subspace relay station. The station is near the Klingon border. Geordi, Riker and Beverly beamed to the station. They find no one aboard the station. What they do find is a dog and some human remains. The remains are believed to be what is left of Aquiel Uhnari. What killed her? The away team inspects a deserted shuttlecraft. They find some cellular residue on the deck plates. Geordi retrieves personal and formal logs trying to find out what happened. The away team beams back to the “Enterprise”. They find out Aquiel is still alive
  • To say this episode is good simply because of the music is quite absurd, and on top of that, a 10? This episode may not be horrid, but in comparison to TNG standards is NOT perfect.

6.6
    To say this episode is good simply because of the music is quite absurd, and on top of that, a 10? This episode may not be horrid, but in comparison to TNG standards is NOT perfect. If you'd think otherwise your reviews are surely unreliable. The episode ends abruptly after a lot of build, This episode comes off as a filler ep, and more for the simple minded rather than some complex or profound concept.
  • I Disagree! This Is A Great Episode. And The Worst Episode Isn't Justice, It's "Code Of Honor"... And allmost every episode in the 2nd season....

I like this episode because it is in the 6th season, when most of the episodes had gotten painfully dull…allmost like the second season. If you read my reviews, than you would know that each and every Star Trek episode with a good plot and excellent music deserves a rating of 10. You know how much I hate a Star Trek episode with dull and boring music.

This is a great episode, I can’t believe it’s in the 6th season. It’s about a monster that ate Roacha and then ate Mora, and was about to eat Geordi, but he escaped. Aquiel and Morag are held in custody because they think that one of them could be the big scary monster. I would love to write more, but half the time it won’t even submit….
  • If the only compliment you can pay to a ST episode is: ‘Hey, it’s still better than “Justice”!’, you just know you’re in for a one hour of some serious PAIN.

I could write a long review trying to pinpoint everything that was wrong with this episode but the truth is, it can be done in one sentence: everything is wrong with it! Don’t get fooled by the first minutes that indicate, that this is going to be a classic mystery plot. Uh-uh, the only mystery you get is how could such script be certified. Ok, fine, so technically we don’t know what’s going on and there is a ‘WHO!? HOW!? WHY!?’ question hanging somewhere there but considering that we spend more time watching Geordi pinning over Aquiel or flirting with her, or watching her stupid tapes or talking to her or about her… it’s truly amazing that people don’t get into coma during this episode.

The most painful thing about this is however the fact that this could have been such a great and exciting story! I admit, I had no idea who and why did it, until The Big Mean Thing had been revealed by Crusher and Geordi. Of course, it could be also blamed at the fact that after about 10 minutes of watching my brain had shut down.

In conclusion: So boring and pointless you start to wonder if it’s still Star Trek or perhaps hell already. It gets much more points than it deserves only because I did gasp twice in surprise, so one point for each gasp and that’s it.