Star Trek: The Next Generation

Birthright (1)

Aired Unknown Feb 22, 1993 on CBS

• What Dreams May Come

The first part of this two parter crosses over with Deep Space Nine (to promote the new series in its infancy) and features a unique structure that works quite well for its two plotlines. The A story, featuring Worf, begins on the station, and although our favorite Klingon doesn't interact with any of the DS9's regulars (he instead meets an alien memorably played by James Cromwell,) it's an historically intriguing visit, foreshadowing his future as a regular on the spinoff series. The B story, featuring Data, explores the world of dreams in a deliciously abstract and mystical way, quite unlike anything the Star Trek franchise has done before. The two stories, thematically linked through their paternal explorations, work well together and even include an overlapping scene with Worf and Data. The result is a satisfying episode that serves as a great lead-in to the second part.
  • Not bad, but suffers from a slow plot.

The main problem I have with this episode is it almost seems like the writers are bored with Worf and want to stir up some drama with him. It's not very surprising, or genuine-feeling. It doesn't even really bring something new to Worf's character, either. We dealt with Worf's dad already in Sins of the Father. What could this episode possibly do? I really just wasn't into the premise.

Data's subplot was nice, but doesn't become a factor again in Part 2, which makes me wonder why it's part of a 2 part episode. The dream was pretty cool, though, and I always like seeing Brent Spiner play as a different character. "You are the bird." :)
  • The first half of TNG's weakest 2-parter.

It's not atypical for the first half of a two-parter to feature lots of build-up. Unfortunately, in this case, it builds up (very slowly) to nothing.

The Data story is dull, with Dr. Bashir grafted on in order to juice DS9's ratings. The final sequence (with Data transforming into a bird) is nice - it's a shame it got grafted into the rest.

The Worf story has even less redeeming features. I guess the writers decided that Worf needed something more interesting than Alexander to keep his character afloat, but this was the wrong way to do it. I don't think there were any good "Klingon" episodes for the rest of the series.

Disappointing, though part 2 is even worse.
  • The “Enterprise” docks at Deep Space Nine, to assist in repairs of Bajoran technologies which were damaged by Cardassian occupation. Worf while on Deep Space Nine is approached by an Yridian named Jaglom Shrek.

The “Enterprise” docks at Deep Space Nine, to assist in repairs of Bajoran technologies which were damaged by Cardassian occupation. Worf while on Deep Space Nine is approached by an Yridian named Jaglom Shrek. Jagolom Shrek says he has info the Worf might want for sale. Jagolom Shrek tells Worf his father is still alive on a planet in the Romulan territory. Dr Bashir the CMO of Deep Space Nine has a device that he wants to runs test on. So Data suggest running the tests in engineering. While conducting the tests, Data is knocked unconscious and into a dream.