Star Trek: The Next Generation

Birthright (2)

Aired Unknown Mar 01, 1993 on CBS

• Worf prepares to die for their sins

Featuring a brilliant supporting cast and a rare off-ship story, Birthright Part II is a satisfying conclusion that takes what could have been a simple "escape from Alcatraz" episode and turns it into something more. Emphasizing the psychological conflict, Part II evolves into a Christ like story - except instead of a Messiah preaching peace and love, writer Rene Echevarria embraces (and celebrates) the Klingon culture by having Worf teach the importance of hunting and fighting. (In a tale about humanity, he might be in the wrong. But for a Klingon these are positive values that are important to pass on to impressionable youths.) Throw in a dash of Worf confronting his own prejudices, and you've got a special episode capping another great two parter for the series.
  • See if you can stay awake through the 2nd half of TNG's weakest 2-parter.

You wouldn't think so, but an episode with both the Romulans and Klingons turns out to be extremely boring. Lots of talking, speechifying, and very little action. I suppose there is a commentary about racism, love for one's elders and some other wholesome stuff but... why does it have to be so dull?

Part 1 had a B-plot with Data gaining the ability to dream; though it was nothing special, it provided the most interest. That's gone here, and all we have is Worf trying to teach some Klingon youth their ways.

Poor Worf. It's not until season 2's DS9 episode "Blood Oath" that we would get another good Klingon episode, and he's not even featured.
  • Slow plot - decent, though.

We get the conclusion to the story of the "prisoners," and it's nice, but kind of irks me. It took so very long to finish up this storyline, and it was pretty obvious where it was going (a Klingon uprising), that it sucked the joy out of this episode. I did like the scene with Worf hunting with the young Klingon, and the scene where Worf teaches him how to play that spear-throwing game.

I really feel that they could've put both parts of Birthright into a single episode. Say, half of it in finding the planet, the other half in teaching the prisoners their heritage. I find it hard to believe that the elders would let their heritage slip THAT MUCH, by the way. The way Worf talks about honor and warrior-instincts...it makes me think that you could never, ever make a Klingon "docile."
  • Conclusion. Worf finds a Klingon prison camp. Worf learns his father is truly dead. Worf goes to leave the prison camp, and is stopped by Romulan guards. The Klingons came here when they were captured during the Khitomer massacre.

Conclusion. Worf finds a Klingon prison camp. Worf learns his father is truly dead. Worf goes to leave the prison camp, and is stopped by Romulan guards. The Klingons came here when they were captured during the Khitomer massacre. How could there be young Klingons who have been denied their right to know their culture? Worf is ashamed of this and tries to teach the young Klingons about their culture. He is told that he should not be teaching the Klingons ways. Worf does manage to lead the young Klingons to leave this camp. They must never reveal its location.