Star Trek: The Next Generation

Bloodlines

Aired Unknown May 02, 1994 on CBS

6.8
  • Bok is back! Or should it be "Back is Bok"? or Bok Bok Back?

Talk about a weird premise: six years after first season's "The Battle", TNG does a sequel here with a different actor playing the bad guy (Bok) and a revenge plot that's so convoluted (and dependent on luck) that even a Bond villain would be embarrassed to have thought of the idea. Still, the actors do what they can with the weak script, with Stewart and Ken Olandt (Jason) building their characters' father/adult son relationship, new turf for Picard's character to explore (and reminiscent of Kirk and David.)

Unfortunately, there's no getting around the fact that this is a slow, filler episode that doesn't stand out or add anything to the series.
  • Tedious, pointless sequel.

The first season episode "The Battle" was by no means a classic episode, but it was among the highlights of a pretty weak season. Unfortunately, its sequel doesn't deserve even that much credit.

This episode isn't painfully bad, but Picard's "son" is an arrogant twit and we're really banking on Patrick Stewart to carry things. He does an OK job (including a good joke about his son's hairline), but ultimately an episode that could have given some insight into Picard's character completely fails to do so.

The Ferengi subplot is meant to inject some excitment, but just reminds us why the Ferengi were much better as comic relief than evil adversaries.
  • Wow. Seriously?

Let me make sure I've got this right... Picard's "son" is 23, he was with his mother 24 years ago, the only thing the guy knows is that his father was in Star Fleet, and Picard is NOT his father? Don't get me wrong... I'm glad they didn't really throw a son at Picard near the very end, but what's up with this kid's mom? The woman is supposed to be so saintly that she took in 40+ kids and died because she wouldn't hand over their food, yet she managed to bang 2 Star Fleet officers within the same couple of months, and didn't keep a relationship with either of them? It seems Mother Theresa sure gets around. And if Picard wasn't the father, where the Hell was the real one? Does this woman just have a thing for sleeping with men she'll never see again and then saving starving children? I guess even the purest of the pure have a depraved side... Either that or the writers just kinda gave up.
  • Picard starts getting threats from DaiMon Bok. He accuses Picard of killing his son 15 years ago. Now DaiMon Bok wants revenge. He says he will kill Jason Vigo, Picard’s son. Picard is unaware he has a Son.

Picard starts getting threats from DaiMon Bok. He accuses Picard of killing his son 15 years ago. Now DaiMon Bok wants revenge. He says he will kill Jason Vigo, Picard’s son. Picard is unaware he has a Son. Picard does remember a romantic fling with some woman with the last name Vigo. So he sets out for Camor V where he last seen Jason’s mother. Enroute Bok shows up in Picard’s quarters again he is making threats. Picard does locate Jason Vigo and beans him aboard. Dr Krusher runs DNA tests on Jason to find out who’s the daddy?