Star Trek: The Next Generation

Booby Trap

Aired Unknown Oct 30, 1989 on CBS

7.9
  • The Enterprise comes across an ancient battlefield where a derelict spaceship sits and soon finds itself in a 1,000 year old trap. To find a solution and save the ship, LaForge must use the holodeck and the image of one of the Enterprise's designers.

There are so many things I like about this episode. The situation of a battleship from 1,000 years before, when our own planet was barely in the Renaissance intrigues me, much as it does Picard. The problem it presents to the ship with its still working trap is an interesting dilemma, the tried and true "ancient trap". It presents a nice message of caution in our exploration and provided for a fun story.

The most interesting part of the episode, however, may be the story's character driven plot involving LaForge and a holgram of Dr. Leah Brahms working together to save the ship. This storyline gives another opportunity to expand on Geordi, this time dealing with his lack of romantic prowess, but showing that maybe all he needs is a like minded person with whom he actually has something in common. Of course, being our first (but not the last) character falling for a holodeck individual plot he gets a highly idealized version, a fact we're reminded of at the end of the episode. It is here, though, that we get to know the Enterprise-D's chief engineer a little better and get the opportunity to see the often uptight Geordi relax a little bit. As a LaForge fan, I might be biased, but it is still a high quality episode, and made even better by its "sequel" a year later.