Star Trek: The Next Generation

Brothers

Aired Unknown Oct 08, 1990 on CBS

• Another great Data episode.

I love Data episodes, this one in particular because with three different roles we really get to see the range of Brent Spiner's acting abilities. I think he's the best actor on the show. The plot is fantastic from beginning to end, with one thing making this a 9 and not a 10: I thought the little boy plot was cheesy. I know we needed a reason for the Enterprise to be on a time constraint, but I'm not a big fan of parallel plots to drive home a point. It's very sitcom-style and Star Trek is too good for that. Luckily it didn't detract largely from the episode, because it was just a background plot behind a great main storyline. It's really cool how quickly and effortlessly Data is able to take over the ship, using Picard's voice and leaving the entire security staff powerless to stop him. Seeing Lore again is a nice surprise, as we learn a little more about his history and almost feel sorry for him but not quite. Lore is a great villian. I love how he makes Data look like a dweeby goody-two-shoes in need of a wedgie. Very effective.

I didn't even realize it was Brent Spiner playing Dr. Soong until I looked it up on IMDB wondering why they chose to put old guy makeup on a young guy instead of just hiring an old guy to play the part. Bravo! That's what I call impressive. Now I have to watch it again.
WZME