Star Trek: The Next Generation

Cause And Effect

Aired Unknown Mar 23, 1992 on CBS

• Standing ovation for Jonathan Frakes in the director's chair!

From beginning to end, this episode was exciting, eerie, and fun to watch. I've always liked space/time episodes so much better than issue episodes such as the previous two. (Ethics and The Outcast) Jonathan Frakes' direction really makes the episode, with creepy music and distorted camera angles giving the viewer the same uneasy feeling the crew is experiencing. Very well-acted by Gates McFadden too. The only thing I would change about this episode if I could would be to make it twice as long. Fitting it into an hour time slot, it seemed like the crew figured things out just a little too quickly. I didn't find the repetition bothersome in the least, and could have watched the ship destruction sequence 20 times if each time they got closer to figuring it out. Data and the cards was a great plot twist near the end. Who would have expected him to deal different cards? My first thought was that sending himself the message altered him just enough to change the deck, and that the crew would have to repeat the whole sequence another few times, remembering three of a kind coming up instead. Deja vu all over again, so to speak. You know an episode is successfully creepy when it's 2:30am and you suddenly feel like your apartment is haunted!