Star Trek: The Next Generation

Conspiracy

Aired Unknown May 09, 1988 on CBS

• Suspecting that a conspiracy may be afoot in the highest levels of Starfleet Command, Picard orders Enterprise to return to Earth to investigate.

The writers of "Conspiracy" obviously saw the 1953 science fiction film "Invaders from Mars". I saw a few echoes of that film in this episode. That does not mean the episode is bad. I have watched this episode many times over the years and have enjoyed it intensely every time. The episode has the right blend of action and drama. The scenes of Data performing the task assigned to him by Picard and presenting his findings is very well done. The story works its way to a good climax as well. As graphic as they are, the scenes of the creature inside Remmick's body are a sight to see! The episode's final scene is in my mind probably the best ending scenes of any episode of the entire series. This "Conspiracy" theory is worth listening to!