Star Trek: The Next Generation

Dark Page

Aired Unknown Nov 01, 1993 on CBS

• This episode was good, I really enjoyed watching it.

First time when it begun it was funny, the first 2 minutes, and I thought this is another funny episode with Lwaxana Troi, but this one was the most different of all, it wasn't as funny as I expected that's why I think it's a bit more special. It was cool to see Deanna's father and to find out that she had a sister. The story was pretty interesting. It may not deserve 10, but I still give it, for me it was excellent, I would watch it once again. And I will miss Lwxana and her episodes, they were kind of funny.
  • The “Enterprise” meets up with Lwaxana Troi again. This time she is a translator for a race known as the Cairn. The Cairn rely mostly on a form of telepathy that uses images rather than words to communicate. Due to telepathic exhaustion, Lwaxana faints.

The “Enterprise” meets up with Lwaxana Troi again. This time she is a translator for a race known as the Cairn. The Cairn rely mostly on a form of telepathy that uses images rather than words to communicate. Due to telepathic exhaustion, Lwaxana faints. Dr. Crusher tries to revive Lwaxana and is unsuccessful. Maques tries to tell troi what has happened. It seems as if Lwaxana is hiding part of her past and has caused her health to fail. If you like knowing about Deanna family this episode is a must see. I give it a 8.4
  • Not terrible as a Deanna episode. Lwaxana leaves TNG on a not-terrible note.

I'm not a Lwaxana Troi fan, but this is among the best episodes to feature her. That's because she is in a secondary role here to her daughter. Deanna, for all her flaws as a character, was usually not painful to watch, and Marina Sirtis gives a pretty good performance here.

You have to sit through the first 30-35 minutes to get to the meat here. There's plenty of generic TNG here - the stereotypical awkward Deanna romance, the aliens that aren't relevant except as plot devices, Picard seeming just as bored as the viewer. Nevertheless the closing, cathartic scenes are quite powerful, and Marina avoids the over-emoting she occasionally fell prey to.

Watchable, but not much more than that.
  • Goodbye, Mrs. Troi, see you on DS9

This Deanna/Lwaxana Troi episode plays up the drama of a dark secret, and to the writers' credit, they come up with one that's powerful yet not contrived. But the story (which includes no bridge scenes) lacks the focus and creativity of "Phantasms" and comes off as a second-rate dream episode in its wake. (The episode might be better had the writers found a faster and more unusual way to get into the heart of the story.) That said, the climax is quite extraordinary (and heartbreaking) for the series and features great dramatic acting from Majel Barrett in her final appearance on the show.
  • painful

This episode reminded me so much of the one early on when there was a writer's strike so they did an hour of "Riker's mind". Granted that was all flashbacks to previously filmed episodes while this was new footage, but fairly identical in tone. If you want to watch lots of crying and no real action, I guess this is a good episode for you.

The most disappointing part is that the episode starts off strong. Lwaxana is back and in her usual role of making Picard terribly uncomfortable. We are introduced to a race that is entirely telepathic. It could've been a quite humorous episode until the sharp left turn to Melodramaville.