Star Trek: The Next Generation

Descent (2)

Aired Unknown Sep 20, 1993 on CBS

• Disappointing

Featuring three plot lines and a different tone than Part I, "Descent Part II" isn't a particularly good or bad (or noteworthy) episode. The A story, with Data, Geordi, and Picard, is about Data's path back to morality (thanks in part to "MacGyver" Picard, who sure knows how to jury rig a kedion pulse!) Unfortunately, Lore's control over Data (with "drug dealer" parallels) and the Borg dealing with emotions are issues that are all but buried, and Data's return to the path of righteousness is not nearly as interesting as his descent into darkness. (And the Borg suffer a blow when Picard shows us that all you have to do is pull out a hose and they break down like an old car.)

The B story, which sort of comes out of nowhere, is about Doctor Crusher commanding the Enterprise. It's predictable but mildly entertaining. Unfortunately it takes time away from the C story, which features Riker and Worf in their attempt to rescue Picard and company.

It's disappointing, but watchable, conclusion.
  • Sucks to be Hugh.

Well, today's Villain of the Week are a group of people who used to be Borg. Even though they're not part of the collective anymore and therefore not really Borg, if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

These pseudo-Borg (complete with upside-down Borg Logo flags) want to become fully technological beings, like their mentor, Lore. Exactly how this would perfect them was kinda glossed over in the episode, but nevermind.

As it turns out, the cause of all this trouble was Hugh, who (like any typical adolescent) blames everyone except himself for the current situation - when he chose to rejoin the Collective at the end of "I, Borg" and it 'infected' all the other Drones on his ship with a sense of individuality.

Perhaps it was this artificially installed self-realisation that caused none of the former Drones to remember their lives pre-assimilation or perhaps a plot development that hadn't been written yet (which doesn't explain why Locutus remembered being Jean-Luc Picard after he was seperated from the Collective) but it seemed to be a pretty big plot device to allow Lore to take control of this group of no-longer Borg and manipulate them for his own plans.
  • The conclusion to Series 6 finale with the Borg/Data storyline.

This was disappointing finish to the previous episode. Most of the storylines in this episode were not fleshed out and as a result the story seemed vague and disjointed.

First there was Picard, Trio and Geordi - captured by Lore and Data - and soon to be experimented on. A credible explanation for the experiments was lacking. Then there were Borgs with emotion - interesting idea but not explored at all. Lore's control of Data was another interesting idea that could have done with more writing. Then Hugh suddenly becomes involved - then decides not to help - and all of sudden does help Riker and Worf. Most of this storyline was left to the imagination. And then there was Beverly left in charge with novices - but performing brillantly. Again, this would have been more credible if she was surrounded by more experienced crew. If she can be such a great captain - why do we need Picard and the rest?
  • Appropriately enough, season 7 begins on a so-so note.

"Descent" is the weakest of TNG's season-ending/beginning two-parters, and appropriately enough it kicks off a very uneven 7th season.

There are a mishmash of ideas here, all of which are pretty underdeveloped. Why should we care about Lore now that the novelty of "evil Data" has worn off? Why do we care about individualistic evil Borg instead of communalistic evil Borg? Why is Hugh so annoying?

This episode does have a few redeeming moments. Overall, despite a ton of talking, it has its share of excitement. It's kind of fun to see Crusher commanding the Enterprise - she exudes authority, unlike Troi in "Disaster", though I'm not sure we really needed to endure the "young shy ensign makes good" cliche. And the ending between Geordi and Data is a nice, tender note to wrap things.

But in the end - nothing ventured, nothing gained, and nothing worth remembering.
  • This is my FAVORITE episode. Very exciting. Bad Data. His dark side is totally brought out in this episode as he betrays his crewmates. They beseech him, beg him to change his ways, but he is adamant. He will not listen to their pleas.

Very insightful and I have never looked at Data the same again!
    He has wanted emotions his whole life and thinks he has finally fulfilled his lifelong dream. He is willing to give up his career, his friends for this! He is passionate, adamant for this. He pursues this, until he realizes that he is in fact controlled by an outside force, Lore. When he does, he comes back to himself again.
    Again, very insightful and powerful.
    I have developed my crush on Data because of this episode. I had one before, but this episode clinched it. "Bad" Data was exciting and scintilatining, to say the least!
  • After betraying his friends, Data starts conducting experiments on Geordi. Lore tells Data too remove Geordi’s Visor. Geordi knows why Lore wants his visor. If Geordi had his visor he would find out about Lore’s evil plan.

After betraying his friends, Data starts conducting experiments on Geordi. Lore tells Data too remove Geordi’s Visor. Geordi knows why Lore wants his visor. If Geordi had his visor he would find out about Lore’s evil plan. It is learned that Lore has create a device that can cause Data to do what Lore wants him to do. Data is totally clueless on what is right or wrong. Meanwhile Riker and his away team along with Hugh and his borg buddies break in the complex. Data is on the verge of being destroyed by his brother, Lore.