Star Trek: The Next Generation

Elementary, Dear Data

Aired Unknown Dec 05, 1988 on CBS

• “I accept your challenge, Doctor!”

When the crew arrives three days ahead of schedule to rendezvous with the U.S.S. Victory, the crew uses the time to have a break and Data & Geordi decide to play Sherlock and Watson in the holodeck. After Geordi tells Data that they should go through a new mystery, Dr. Pulaski bets Data could never solve a real mystery so Data accepts her challenge and all three go solve a mystery in the holodeck. Geordi asks the computer to give data an adversary “capable of defeating Data” the nemesis of Holmes, Moriarty, kidnaps Dr. Pulaski and seems to have control of the Enterprise.

I know people have beef on Dr. Pulaski being “mean” to Data, especially his fans. But I always found it amusing especially in this episode. They are no Spock and McCoy, but they seem to work.

That’s what’s great about the Roddenberry Star Treks. Whatever seemed bad on paper looked nicely done on screen. After all, everyone didn’t think TNG would ever touch the original but look what happened, 7 seasons were spawned. So the chemistry between Data and Pulaski works, like I said no Spock and McCoy, but it is there, and people only despise Pulaski because she replaced Dr. Crusher, teased Data a lot and others.

This is another holodeck malfunction episode, not as great as the Big Goodbye but it is fun to see Data play Holmes and have Geordi and Pulaski watch to see if he can take on a new mystery. In the end Picard promises Moriarty that he will return to bring him out of the holodeck when the technology evolved, the sequel to this episode “Ship in a Bottle” will come on Season Six. I recommend this episode

I give this episode 4 out of 5 stars.(8.0 on TV.com)