Star Trek: The Next Generation

Elementary, Dear Data

Aired Unknown Dec 05, 1988 on CBS

• Not without its flaws, but a fun romp nonetheless

The show's second holodeck episode is a foray into territory previously touched upon in the first season's 'The Big Goodbye', specifically: what happens if a holodeck character becomes self-aware?

Now, admittedly there are some problems with the premise. Firstly, it's both perplexing and disturbing that the ship's computer can actually create a sentient being at a mere command. What? How? REALLY?? And I'm similarly unconvinced that Moriarty ever really posed much of a threat to the ship. I mean, what could he really have done from within the holodeck?

Niggles aside, this is a fun, entertaining and enjoyable episode. The sets are great and the actors all seem to be having tremendous fun (although some of the fake cockney accents are more than a little cringe-worthy: why do American actors find it so hard to do convincing British accents?) I also I liked the portrayal of Moriarty: sophisticated, intelligent and formiddable...a very gentlemanly adversary and one that would make a welcome return in the sixth season episode 'Ship in a Bottle'.