Star Trek: The Next Generation

Encounter At Farpoint (1)

Aired Unknown Sep 28, 1987 on CBS

7.9
  • Starfleet veteran Captain Jean-Luc Picard and his crew set out on the newly commissioned fifth Starship Enterprise to discover the secret of Farpoint Station.

The new era in Star Trek history began on a positive note. That does not mean it was perfect, but it did present the viewer with a compelling and entertaining story. The episode did a good job in presenting a short back story for the main cast. It was done just right as to not overload the episode with too much information as other television pilots have done. The omnipotent being Q is quite interesting and makes a good adversary for Captain Picard. The main storyline of the mystery of Farpoint Station is well done also. There are a few stumbling blocks here however. The character of Wesley Crusher seems a little immature for his age. He acted like a kindergartener in his interactions with the rest of the crew. His scenes on the bridge and holodeck are good examples. I always thought Denise Crosby was stupid for leaving the show. Watching this episode again makes me think that she did all the viewers a favor. She is not a very good actress and her poor acting abilities show prominently here. That aside I think this episode still holds up as much today as when it premiered in 1987. Let's see what's out there!
  • An Overarching Start

The kick-off to The Next Generation is truly all mind-encompassing. It introduces us to beings which at first glance seem to squander our importance. I believe this truly defines TNG and sets the tone for the whole series as the crew forms together and explores the great unknown while the Q continuum ever diligently studies their trek through the stars.

I will save the explanation of the entire plot and explain the themes we all need to take away from this episode among many other Star Trek episodes. Our problems are petty compared to the grand scope of the universe. We need to focus on the big problems, not the little ones. Think deep and not superficially, and most of all, be greater than the sum of your parts. Humans are an incredibly special species even among all other in the Trek world.

• The maiden voyage of the starship Enterprise D introduces us to a new crew, which attempts to solve the mystery of Farpoint Station.

Originally, this was considered a classic, but as the series began to improve and the years passed, the pilot began to look more dated. Certainly there are some growing pains present; the writing, the music, and the clothes can be a bit embarrassing at times. (Not that I'm complaining about Troi in her short skirt uniform. Unfortunately, some of the men are wearing the same thing.) But the episode also has a sweetness and an innocence. (It's morning again in Star Trek!) And it has a beautiful story. (It also introduces Q, an afterthought in the writing of the episode, and a homerun shot by Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry.) A few cringes and laughs aside, it's a great way to launch the series.
  • Oh my. I can remember when I first watch it, I would have given it a 10!

Well things change, as does our ability to criticise. I have no doubt that x years earlier, I would have marvelled at this. As it is, in todays age there are alot of laughable things about this episode. Namely the overuse of the extras in every bridge scene and the overuse of main characters in nearly every scene.

I guess every show probably feels the need to overdo things at the start. Still worth watching for Q and to guage how far things changed in the last episodes of a truly great SF series.

Would have got a 9.x if it were to have been made in todays age, with everything that has been learnt in the 3 spin-offs since and all the movie films!
  • The crew of the newly commissioned USS Enterprise-D are sent to explore the mysterious Farpoint Station, but are interrupted when a mysterious omnipotent being called Q puts them on trail as representatives of humanity. Dated yes, but still a spectacle...

I've been, to varying degrees, a 'Star Trek' fan for all of my 33 years. I grew up watching reruns of the (already old) reruns of the classic Original with my father in the 1980s, and so when I heard in the late 1980s that there was to be a new incarnation, I couldn't wait to see it.

As I say, I'm generally a life-long fan, but at the same time I appreciate them more just as interesting examples of TV sci-fi than being an uber-nerd, so will try to review this series for a balanced viewpoint.

The series was a bit slow reaching UK shores by those days standards (often an imported US series would show up on UK terrestrial TV just a couple of months later); I recall it started in September 1990, within a couple of weeks of me starting secondary school. New school... new 'Star Trek' crew... somehow it worked in my young mind!

It's interesting to think that when 'Encounter at Farpoint' first hit the US in 1987, it – and the first season – were generally hailed as wonderful storytelling, but nowadays, it is (lovingly) mocked. It's certainly true that this first season, and this Pilot in particular, have dated, but it's a product of it's time. Not to mention, in some ways – in essence if not in execution - I prefer these more adventurous tales of the first season or two, than some of the more 'relaxed' later instalments (good as most of them were).

So here I am, visiting the entire series again on DVD – although I've seen reruns of many episodes, I haven't watched the series right through for some years now. Time to relive how we laughed at Data, how Dr. Crusher had a funny way of pronouncing her questions, and to remember how we all pretty much hated Wes! (And while I try not to bring such things into reviews, to ask myself why I didn't fancy Tasha Yar back then... yum!)

It's amazing to think how something so shiny and new back then looks rather dated now. And this is certainly a quite different beast to 1960's 'Star Trek'. For one thing, the bridge looks very sparse – to this day when watching TNG, I miss the hustle-bustle of the Original Series' bridge. And how PC can you get – they even have a counsellor on the bridge! Of course, back then, there were endless "Kirk vs. Picard" debates everywhere. While I have grown to love Picard, I have to say I fall into the Kirk camp just for sheer knockabout intergalactic adventures.
    Although this is obviously the Pilot, so things are naturally a little slower as we get character introductions, it soon becomes apparent that TNG is a more relaxed-paced being than The Original Series generally was. While I love both versions, I did (and still do) often miss the sheer excitement of the originals.

A number of concepts and actions that seem odd by later episode's standards. Picard's sudden announcement of surrender, just a few minutes in, with little to no fight for one. The saucer separation, while impressive, does reek slightly of "look what we can do" and serves little real purpose. Riker's "clip show" of what he missed on the ship is bizarre (this device was never used again from what I recall) and slows up the story. And some of the dialogue feels REALLY stilted, especially early on; this applies to Data in particular – he would become many fans' favourite character, but early on, especially with his "inquiries" and such, it feels as if Brent Spiner is still finding his handle on the character. Likewise, the extremities of Picard's sharpness with his crew would soon be toned down to a degree. There are other little glimpses of what might have been – for example, Riker's grinning "Wes... see you on the ship" hints at forthcoming mischief which (for better or for worse) never really happened.

I love that they used 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture's rousing theme for TNG (another piece was originally planned but was dropped in favour of the movie theme), although I do find some of the in-episode score for this and other episodes of this period to sound horribly synthesised.

Although rather slow and dated, I feel Part 1 of 'Encounter at Farpoint' is still an intriguing enough watch to merit a 9/10.

Review continued on Part 2.
  • A weak beginning

I found this pilot to be a weak beginning. I should point out that while I basically like Star Trek, I never worshipped at the altar of Roddenberry. He was arrogant and considered Star Trek to be the totality of science fiction. Furthermore, he supported plots that painted a too-rosy picture of the future that eschewed conflict at the expense of drama (see final paragraph, below).

That said, I can't say that I saw much promise in the crew of the Enterprise serving as matchmakers between a boy-space-thing and a girl-space-thing as being a satisfactory demonstration of evolved sensibilities. Q was not presented as that imminent a threat - more of an interstellar poseur than anything else - a character that did not show promise until his third appearance, in episode 2-16(42), "Q-Who?". Likewise, the cast did not gel until several episodes into the second season.

Furthermore, Roddenberrish backsliding can be seen in the formal military protocol on the bridge which reaches all the way back to the original 1966 pilot, "The Cage" (see also my review for episode 3, 1-3, "The Naked Now"). Q, when he first appears, looks like he stepped out of Star Trek episode 17, 1-18, "The Squire of Gothos" as William Campbell's stand-in.

(From paragraph 1) The drama of this episode could have been much better if, for example, there was another threat other than Q imposing a deadline on the action, such as a ship coming to the aid of the Bandi and, therefore, a threat to the orbiting entity.
  • Rather disappointing for me.

3.8
    Being a major Star Trek: TNG fan myself, I was rather very disappointed in this episode. I have been recently catching the syndicated series on G4 and Spike. I first started tuning in around the middle of season two and was amazed at the show. My favorite character being Data. Anyways, I absolutely could not wait to see the first and last episodes of the series. I sat down the other day and turned on the T.V. The moment I had been waiting for. The episode bored me. At times, I wanted to change the channel, it droned on and on and did not keep me interested. Had I tuned in when the show first started in '87, I would never have watched it again. Bad beginning for a wonderful show is all I have to say. I will be watching the last episode later and will comment on it when I do.
  • Q-uantum Of Star Trek (Part I)....

Star Trek: The Next Generation TV series begins with the first of many great two-parter episodes: "Encounter At Farpoint." One of the few highlights in the first season of The Next Generation, "Encounter At Farpoint" shows the Enterprise on its first mission picking up the rest of its crew at the Farpoint Station and trying to discover the mystery of that station. The story begins with the crew making an encounter far away from the Farpoint Station - bumping into Q for the first of many times.

There really is no better or worse part of "Encounter At Farpoint" if you ask me, both halves cannot survive without the other and only together to they add up to the great episode that "Encounter At Farpoint" is. The episode is not perfection - the production values are not particularly high, some of the special effects are not exactly stunning, and the episode features a completely bizarre trial scene. Still, the first part of "Encounter At Farpoint" definitely has its merits -the characters are introduced well and the entire episode is filmed with a very unique spin. There are two terrific sequences in this episode and one is featured here in part I: the excellent sequence where the Enterprise splits into two sections. Part two continues the story, actually including the Farpoint Station.
  • Farpoint Station, even the name sounds mysterious.

A TV movie and what an awesome pilot for Star Trek TNG this is!

after nearly 100 years since Captain Kirks legendary 5 year mission took place, the fifth Federation Starship to bear the name 'Enterprise' the Galaxy class USS Enterprise NCC-1701D is set out on it's maiden voyage towards a large unexplored part of the Milky way galaxy, on it's first stop it is to visit the Bandi homeworld Deneb IV to investigate Farpoint station the origins or which are of an intriguing mystery to Starfleet, the inhabitants of the planet seemingly built it by magic as their world lacks many of the resources required in building it.

On the way to Deneb IV the Enterprise is barred off by a mysterious energy barrier, and confronted by a being called Q who challenges Starfleet and humanity's right to explore the cosmo's demanding they return to their home sol system or face destruction, when Captain Picard argues back in defense of humans having evolved and grown beyond their past flaws of war and savagery, Q gets the idea to put humanity on trial, during the trial Picard demands humanity be tested before being condemned, Q deems their current mission as more than challenging enough to fit as a test.

Picard and the crew are left to solve the mystery of Farpoint and only have so much time, before Q returns.

Okay now that i have written a satisfying little teaser if your not familiar with TNG hopefully this will entice you into watching Encounter at farpoint.
    This should be merged as 1 episode and not 2 parts as it is a movie.

All i can say is that, there is a great blend of intrigue mystery and exploration in this episode of star trek, it's absolutely one of the best season 1 episodes, it introduces the characters all very well and has plenty of action sequences, and lots of fantastic alien world scenery.

also theres space Jellyfish, if space dwelling Jellyfish doesn't peak your curiosity in a Star Trek series, then i don't know what will.
    Even someone who watched TOS and was fiercely loyal to it would definitely enjoy this pilot episode of TNG

Theres not much i can say, Watch this episode it's good.
  • A continuation of the original series, the next generation title sums it up really, more adventures and space exploration with new alien races, conflicts to sort out and they get to save numerous galactic species.

We meet a variety of races, that may or may not actually represent different aspects of the human psyche, the warrior aspects could be portrayed in the Klingons, the greed could be shown by all Ferengi, the emotional aspects could be found by the Betazoids. But irrespective of the race, creed or galactic standing, they are shown, encountered and befriended by the crew of Star Trek Enterprise and led by the gallant Capt. Picard.

The series starts off with a 2 part episode, Farpoint, with Q putting Capt Picard as humanities representative to pay for the crimes of humanity. So Picard must deal with a variety of situations, explain and defend the actions of the human race depending on the situation, thus having to prove to Q that his race is worthy of being saved and not being eliminated.

Q is seen in a variety of different Star Trek offshoots and I have enjoyed all episodes where he has appeared, it is a refreshing angle that makes all series special, thus allowing the continuity to be a real good approach to all series. When Q is around there is always some miscievious adventures to be had for sure.
  • Important for the series!

This was not exactly the kind of episode I am fond of, but it was essential for the series to come, perticularly with the introduction of our characters and the awesome Q whom pops up quite a bit over the course of the seven years ahead. Overall this was a good episode to start the series.

This episode was as crucial as it was also exciting, I was not around to see the premier of this episode back in September 1987 because I was not born until October 1991, by which time Star Trek The Next Generation was already in it's fifth season, despite this I still enjoy the first seasons of this show and "Encounter at Farpoint" was the way to re-launch Star Trek into a new era.
  • Not an especially promising beginning, but the 2nd half is much better.

I think it's easy to bash the production values of this first episode, which are pretty bad -- and not all of the blame can be placed on the 80s.

The first half of "Encounter at Farpoint" tries way too hard -- over-the-top DRAMATIC MUSIC at every possible juncture (with obligatory late 80s cheesy synthesizers), over-acting (especially by Marina Sirtis and Denise Crosby), frequently ridiculous dialogue, and an excessive preachiness. The court scene is overdone, but it's nothing like the faux drama of the reconnection scene with the saucer section. (Who cares?)

That said, the 2nd half of the episode is much better. There are enough unintentionally funny moments to make sitting through the 1st half worthwhile. Finally, the scene with Data and Bones near the end is a nice touch -- one Star Trek series handing the baton to its successor.

P.S. I forgot to mention the "cage" that Q uses to trap the Enterprise -- did they get those graphics out of an Atari game? Geez.
  • Every race represents on aspect of the Human Element.

A nice introduction to a true sci-fi classic. I think this series embodied Gene Roddenberry's true vision of what the Star Trek Universe was about for him. He had a very optimistic view of the future where there was no war, no hunger and no disease. Where everybody worked for the better of humanity and not for personal gain or wealth. The show best portrayed this by showing contrast between other alien civilizations and humanity. I believe every race represented every aspect of the human element. For example, the Ferengi represented the greedy aspect of the human element. The Klingons the warrior aspect. Vulcans the stoic or logical aspect and so forth. In this episode we see Q who possibly represents judgemental aspect of people who believe themselves superior to other people because of race or social class.This is most evident when he accuses them of barbarism and puts them on trial to pay for the crimes of humanity. As well the people of Farpoint represent the extortion aspect of people because they were using the alient entities in space to power their space station,This allowed them to benefit by impressing Starfleet hping to be inducted into the Federation and taking full credit for it. They don/t mention who was actually doing all the work. Every episode we are treated to these allusions. Some fine examples , some poor. All in all this was an excellent episode. Combining excellent special effects and well writen stories I think this is exactly as Roddenberry envisioned Star Trek.
  • Great beginning

I decided after 15 years that I would express my opinion of several episodes of all the Star Trek series that I remember. I figured I would start with the first one.

The first time I saw this I was like wow! This was really cool. And like most people I was like how can they replace Kirk, Spock, McCoy, etc. but after watching this. All fears were gone & was intrigued by these new characters. And Q! Even now after all these years he still creeps me out. Great episode & a great beginning.
  • A fitting beginning.

A fitting beginning to one of the best SciFi series ever. All the right elements are there: a good cast, a well-written story, and well written (and well developed over the series) characters. Lightning in a bottle? Definately. Good, entertaining, fun television? Definately. I definately think that this is what Gene Roddenberry inteteded for Star Trek: The Next Generation. This episode uses aliens (Q and the farpoint station alien creature) to llet us learn more about our selves (humans) and tells a well developed, well thought-out story. IT also looks at fact (humans past, as viewed by "Q" [humans were barbarians, but we have (or will) move past this; Picard proves it to Q by freeing the farpoint station alien.) Maybe not one of the best episodes, but still worth many a viewing.
  • The beginning of New Trek.

5.7
    A rather dull start to a series that would improve with time. The main cast are a likeable bunch with perhaps the exception of Picard at this point – his aloof stature particularly with his introduction to Riker seems rather pointless. John de Lancie assumes the role of Q who is written here literally as a judgemental superior being decrying humanity in a plot point inherited from several original series episodes. Neither this plot nor the Farpoint jellyfish aliens strand particularly push the characters in ways that allow us to discover who these people are. The best scenes feature Data – the Data/McCoy scene is delightful if brief and the holodeck scene with Wesley and Riker is enjoyable for its humour in a show that starts off by taking itself too seriously. And as for the miniskirts… perhaps it is a forward thinking idea on paper to have a society that has moved beyond gender divides with regard to clothing but on screen it looks laughable. In fact – to nitpick surely the uniforms would have been more practical as shirts and trousers with pockets rather than uncomfortable looking jumpsuits. So in summary not terrible but not the most engaging of starts to the series.
  • This was a pretty good episode, all around.

This was a pretty good episode, and I liked it because it was the first time that the Enterprise-D crew met Q. I was waiting eagerly for the next time Q was encountered when I had first watched this episode. Q's powers are astounding, and I bet that everyone who watched this episode wanted, at the very least, 1 of Q's powers.
  • This Is The First Episode To A New Series:

This Is The Pilot Episode To Star Trek The Next Generation. They Begin Without A Full Crew. ( And They NEVER Get A Complete Senior Staff!! ) One Example Is The Science Officer, Who Is Seen, But Never Mentioned, And We Don't Even Know His Name!!... And Then Until Geordi Becomes Chief Engineer And Stays Engineer, They Don't Really Have An Engineer Either... They Have This One Person, But Then Leaves And Then They Start Showing Argyle, And Then He Leaves And Then Geordi Takes Over... And Then They Had Problems With Finding A Navigator After Geordi Leaves... And What Is Worf???!!! He Seems To Be Assistant Security Officer, But He Has A Red Uniform On. This Is A Great Episode. It Is Very Early, But The Season Gets Much Better After "Code Of Honor"... And Then The 22 Episodes After The 1st Season Are Kinda Boring... I Like The Bridge Layout... They Shouldn't Have Changed It... A Very Old Dr. McCoy Appears To Inspect And Admire The Enterprise D. Spoilers Ahead: The Mission Is That They Are Going To Farpoint Station To Look Into An Application To Become Members Of The Federation. Then They Meet "The Q." And One Of Their Crazy Representatives, Who Look At The Past Of Humanity, And Want To Destroy The Federation. And Then More Stuff Happens...
  • This Is The First Episode To A New Series:

• The “Enterprise NCC-1701D ” is ready to go where no starship has gone before. The first mission is going to Farpoint Station located on Deneb IV. The crew will be investigating the station in order to approve it for Starfleet standards.

The “Enterprise NCC-1701D ” is ready to go where no starship has gone before. The first mission is going to Farpoint Station located on Deneb IV. The crew will be investigating the station in order to approve it for Starfleet standards. While, en route the crew encounters a new life form call the “Q”. The “Enterprise” tries to escape from the “Q” using the saucer separation procedure. This will be the first time it has been done. Meanwhile the saucer section is on its way to farpoint station. The stardrive section agains encounters the “Q”. Is this the end?
  • An awesome premiere.

Star Trek TNG starts off with a grandiose premiere episode. It's filled with nifty special effects and a very enticing plot. Just watching a few minutes of the show makes me like this show already. The storyline of this episode is so engaging. Watching the Enterprise is just a real treat. The teleporting thing is so fun to watch. the away missions are just classic. gene roddenberry made a really cool series, this is a very entertaining show, the effects are just marvelous. the ensemble cast is great, they have varying and interesting subplots. This show is just awesome, it's a good continuation of the classic star trek show.
  • The crew of the Enterprise-D encounter a creature called Q who holds mankind in judgement. He uses their mission at Fairpoint as a measuring stick as to whether or not mankind is just. Pickard\'s life hangs in the balance of Q\'s decision.

I\'ve only seen a few Star Trek episodes. Recently I won the first season off of Ebay and I\'ve decided to see if I like the show.

This first episode seemed above average, if not greater than that. I\'ve only heard of Q, but never seen an episode with him in it. It was fulfilling to see that, from the start, he plays a omniscient role in the course of the Enterprise-D.

It would appear that many of the cast, in this early stage of the game, tends to over act a bit. Stewart is the exception. Q\'s adoning of the Shakespearean garb is perhaps an allusion to Stewart\'s theatre tenure.

The special effects were fair, but, remember, this was the late 80\'s before a lot of digital stuff was standard. It will be interesting to see how this show evolves with the times as things get more digital.
  • It's a pilot!

6.1
    Honestly this is not one of my favorite episodes of the series but it is the pilot and without it the others would never have been. Watching it now I find that many of the characters are mere caricatures of who they become. The only two characters that I feel relate to later seasons are Riker and Crusher.

John DeLanci still steals this episode even though Q is not as humorous as he is later.

The special effects are beginning to show their age. But the saucer separation rocks no matter what. I do not like the lighting in this episode either. I just don't understand why pilots always have such bad lighting.

Now you may wonder why I bother to write this review at all. It is because this is the episode that started it all over. The revival of trek on the airwaves. We get the new crew, the new ship and the new stories. And it all starts here.
  • basically this is the first mission. The crew meets Q and he tests them by using other lifeforms. The crew senses something is fishy and investigates to find the answer. yadda, yadda, yadda they find out Q\'s plot and foil his plans, but he still puts th

great episode...a great mystery episode. they set everything up well and it introduces what TNG is about....exploring space and discovering things beyond our imaginations...

i thought it was well acted and is still always a joy to watch. this may be one of my favorite episodes too. absolutely loved it
  • Sets itself up well, for the series.

This is a pretty good start to the TNG series. It is not perfect by any means, but it is still good. As the TNG crew is being assembled, Q invades Picard's ship and puts humanity on trial for the sins of the past. This sets up a nice running theme that is used by Q in the rest of the series. That is about all that happens in this episode though. There is some nice introductions to some of the characters, but some of the characters, ESPECIALLY Troi, are slightly different in the rest of the series. This episode did the best it could, and it pulled it off.
  • Like the first episodes of every Star Trek show, this one just comes off weak compared to a lot of episodes after this.

On their first mission under the command of Captain Picard, the new galaxy class Enterprise-D is to explore Farpoint Station as mysterious things happen within. On their way they encounter a powerful being who calls himself Q. He tells the crew to go back to their planet and never explore again because he thinks of them to be too much of a savage child race. Picard refuses to thus Q takes them to a recreation of a Post Atomic court room where Q is judge and jury. Picard asks Q to be tested to prove that his race is no longer the savage child race it once was and Q believes the Farpoint mission would be enough to test them.

This episode only came out to me as average. A lot of episodes after this are so much better it's such a dissapointment. The only reason to watch this is the introduction of the cast and Q. That's pretty much it unfortunately, so I give this episode 3 stars out of 5. Average at best.

3 out of 5 stars (6.0 on TV.com)
  • New Ship, New Crew, New Adventures

I never got to see the show when it first started, but this was an allright way to get the ball rolling. This was a good start for them to follow their own unique path from TOS.

To answer the trivia about the stardates, they totally restructured the way they did them, but they restructered them again after 10 years. With the original series, the stardates were never chronological to begin with. But with TNG, DS9 and Voyager, the first number orginally was supposed to signify the century they were in, the 2nd digit the season. So any patterns to the stardates are out the airlock.
  • While a bit theatrical in parts, this two part pilot episode shows promise for having several interesting adventures.

Encounter at Farpoint poses whether human beings have evolved beyond their warlike reactions to the unknown. At times this question is taken too far in the various theatrics of Q, yet thankfully this show is not memorable in that sense. It is much more memorable in comparing the tense introductions between the cast and learning quite a mouthful of information about the major crew members in one episode.

This atmosphere of tense discussion and orientation lulls the viewer into wanting to see the crew change in appearance and attitude as the show progresses. In many ways this is not a regular pilot where characters are tried out and discarded in the second episode or replaced, it is an invitation for something more to join and wonder what the Enterprise will find in their voyage.

In sum, this pilot has everything, philosophical intrigue (although overplayed), character introductions and development and leaving the audience with a yearning to learn more about the crew and the worlds they discover almost jointly.
  • Decent starting point for a great show!

Not at all bad for the first episode of a new version of what was to become one of the longest running sci-fi franchises of all times. The main characters are introduced to the viewer in a manner that basically force-feeds their unusual aspects to those watching at home. Instead of letting us figure out that Data is an android, we are told that he has been programmed.

I would assume that the special effects were much more dramatic when the episode first aired than they are now. To me, Q is confusing in his first appearance, and not because he is an enigmatic, super-powerful being. For an all-knowing entity, he sure gets his time periods wrong.
  • This episode is very good and started the series very well. It may have not been as good as some of the later episodes, but was one of the best early ones.

The series changed over the years, but this was worth watching, even though the series itself was not that great originally. This was an exciting episode that should be watched.