Star Trek: The Next Generation

Ensign Ro

Aired Unknown Oct 07, 1991 on CBS

• The Enterprise is ordered to track down a Bajoran terrorist, a man that the Cardassians are also after. To aid with them, Picard reluctantly takes on a disgraced Starfleet officer: Ensign Ro Laren. But there's more to the mission than they realize.

An episode that introduced a few concepts to the Trek universe that would affect it for years to come as well as one of the most interesting recurring characters that The Next Generation had. In the latter case I am of course speaking of Ro Laren. Love her or hate her, Ro brings a different flavor to the crew, a source of conflict before we even get to see her face. It's kind of nice to see someone who can stir up our 24th century perfectly behaved crew and manage to hold her own against the established regulars. Ro brings attitude and toughness while still managing to display her vulnerability and the tragedy of her life. Michelle Forbes was a wonderful addition to the cast and I think that it's a shame we didn't get to see more of her. The other concept we get to see hear is the first look at the Bajoran/Cardassian conflict and the horrifying conditions the Bajorans have been forced to live to escape their conquerors. It's sobering to see the all too familiar sights of poorly set up and maintained refugee camps, so similar to the ones in existence today, around in Star Trek's utopian view of our future. It's comments on our current world, however, that Trek has always done well. The Bajorans later become an integral part of Deep Space Nine, and this episode really sets the tone for them. The only downside to the episode, IMO, is the plotline with Orta. Orta himself is no one really, and the plot with the admiral is somewhat interesting, but it doesn't hold up to the story of Ro herself, which makes sense. She is the title character, after all.