10 Forward

sephmerrittx

[1]May 28, 2010
    • level: 8

OK, I have started watching this series (I know, I'm a bit late ) and I am curious about why Guinan delivers food to people's tables, when throughout the ship there's energy beams that generate food? Is there some gourmet quality to it that the machine can't replicate? Is Guinan just taking orders from people, walking to a machine behind the bar, telling the machine the order, and then taking it to the table?

Anyway, I'm just curious...I've been curious ever since season 1's Neutral Zone where Picard said that there is no such thing as wealth anymore because anyone can make anything from energy (is that correct? am I misremembering?)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seto1

[2]May 28, 2010
    • level: 16
    From what i have seen on the show the replicator can only do so much when it comes to duplicate the taste of a food and there are times when some may prefer the real deal .She also has a decent stock of real alcohol which was shown when captain Scot made an appearance and he was the not used to the syntohol .

jrsgalaxy

[3]May 28, 2010
    • level: 14

Sure anyone can order anything from their quarters if they'd like. But most people like to socialize. So it's basically a bar and restaurant where the crew go after their shift ends to unwind and mingle with each other including civilians. Imagine booking a cruise and you find out there is no entertainment or anywhere to eat and socialize. Thats why it's there. Its basically their mess hall without it being so basic and boring. The show used ten forward to allow the characters to let their hair down and allow us to get to know them a bit more , like when Travell said he was from Canada even though that wasn't true to connect with Riker and Riker revealed he grew up in Alaska. There they usually discussed matters dealing with their daily lives outside the bridge although we rarely got too see this utilized for Captain Picard.

And as seeing as a Starfleet Officer would hardly want to go to space to tend a bar , they hired civilians like Guinan to tend the bar and wait on people and got paid for it.

Oh and the name Ten Forward comes from it being on the deck ten, forward section.

jrsgalaxy

[4]May 28, 2010

sephmerrittx wrote:

OK, I have started watching this series (I know, I'm a bit late ) and I am curious about why Guinan delivers food to people's tables, when throughout the ship there's energy beams that generate food? Is there some gourmet quality to it that the machine can't replicate? Is Guinan just taking orders from people, walking to a machine behind the bar, telling the machine the order, and then taking it to the table?

Yes usually. Well from what I've seen the drinks anyways. And Seto1 is right she usually stocks actuall drinks as well. So I'm assuming she has a decent stockpile of real food although was never shown. I'm conjecturing here since Quark owned a bar on DS9 and replicated most of his orders as well, I'm assuming Guinan did too. But like I mentioned on previous post it was just an social outlet for most people. We can buy and cook most of our foods, but alot of still go to restaurants to eat out and to bars to drink even though we we can purchase all this stuff at stores and enjoy them in the comforts of our homes. We do it anyways. Why because its funner when theres people to socialize with.
    sephmerrittx wrote:

Anyway, I'm just curious...I've been curious ever since season 1's Neutral Zone where Picard said that there is no such thing as wealth anymore because anyone can make anything from energy (is that correct? am I misremembering?)

Yes he did say that.

pferreira86

[5]May 30, 2010
    • level: 18

Guinan was always bringing on board new, exotic drinks although as has been mentioned I don't see why the repicator would have such a difficult time creating something as simple as prune juice for Worf.

On a side note the PC game Space Quest VI contains a spoof of Ten Forward called 8 Rear! Laughing

Edited on 05/30/2010 6:27am

Samuel2484

[6]May 30, 2010
    • level: 16

sephmerrittx wrote:

It's about the fact that you need replicator rations to replicate ANYTHING, which is why there is still proper food on the shop so that people have rations to save for things that isn't food

jrsgalaxy

[7]May 30, 2010
    Samuel2484 wrote:

sephmerrittx wrote:

It's about the fact that you need replicator rations to replicate ANYTHING, which is why there is still proper food on the shop so that people have rations to save for things that isn't food

That only affected the crew of Voyager. The Enterprise regularly has to go to Starbases to stock up when rations are low although they didn't need to show it everytime. Alot of stuff happens Off-Screensville that the writers feel don't need to be shown and that people will just figure it out.

sephmerrittx

[8]Jun 4, 2010
    • level: 8
    OK, I just watched "Time Squared" and I think I may have gotten a good enough answer. At the beginning of the episode, Riker invites the bridge crew to a cooked meal and Data complains that it is inefficient to create food in that way. Riker says that although the computer is perfect and quick, it doesn't account for variations in recipe and "flair." So I guess Star Trek people like to cook once in a while just to enjoy the difference from computer-generated, boring food. Worf sure seemed to like those gross eggs, after all.

pferreira86

[9]Jun 6, 2010

sephmerrittx wrote:
    OK, I just watched "Time Squared" and I think I may have gotten a good enough answer. At the beginning of the episode, Riker invites the bridge crew to a cooked meal and Data complains that it is inefficient to create food in that way. Riker says that although the computer is perfect and quick, it doesn't account for variations in recipe and "flair." So I guess Star Trek people like to cook once in a while just to enjoy the difference from computer-generated, boring food. Worf sure seemed to like those gross eggs, after all.
    Yeah I remember Chief O'Brien was known to cook food from time to time. He didn't like the replicator either.

jrsgalaxy

[10]Jun 6, 2010
    sephmerrittx wrote:
    That and he was an avid cook. It was just his personality. Plus he also mentioned that after his mom died he did all the cooking for him and his dad.

ChipsTheButler

[11]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 9
    pferreira86 wrote:

Guinan was always bringing on board new, exotic drinks although as has been mentioned I don't see why the repicator would have such a difficult time creating something as simple as prune juice for Worf.

On a side note the PC game Space Quest VI contains a spoof of Ten Forward called 8 Rear!

They put eight whats in their rear?

pferreira86

[12]Jan 23, 2011

ChipsTheButler wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

On a side note the PC game Space Quest VI contains a spoof of Ten Forward called 8 Rear!

They put eight whats in their rear?
    Ha, ha! I do like Space Quest VI and in regards to 8 Rear I do like the play on words. Tongue out