Best episode to show to someone that has never seen Star Trek

Samuel2484

[21]May 23, 2010
    • level: 16

I think Parallels would be a good episodes to let someone know what Star Trek is like.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seto1

[22]May 28, 2010
    I have been re watching a lot of the first season episodes and im thinking what happen to that cool elastic like uniform that looked so futuristic,anyone know why they changed.

jrsgalaxy

[23]May 28, 2010
    • level: 14

seto1 wrote:
    I have been re watching a lot of the first season episodes and im thinking what happen to that cool elastic like uniform that looked so futuristic,anyone know why they changed.
    Gave the actors back problems because they were a size too small. This was done purposely because they didn't want them to look baggy and sloppy. But just the male ones I believe because Dr. Crusher and Deanna still wore one piece jumpsuits throughout the series. Women suits conform to their curves and cling on better and since men lack those curves our clothes need to be tighter to conform better so they won't look baggy. It basically made them hunch a little causing back problems.

Edited on 05/28/2010 2:59pm

pferreira86

[24]May 30, 2010
    • level: 17

jrsgalaxy wrote:

seto1 wrote:
    Gave the actors back problems because they were a size too small. This was done purposely because they didn't want them to look baggy and sloppy. But just the male ones I believe because Dr. Crusher and Deanna still wore one piece jumpsuits throughout the series. Women suits conform to their curves and cling on better and since men lack those curves our clothes need to be tighter to conform better so they won't look baggy. It basically made them hunch a little causing back problems.

Yeah, the original uniforms put a lot of weight down on the actors shoulders so it was difficult for them to keep a good posture. The uniforms introduced in Season 3 were made of a totally different material so the actors could just walk normally. The original costumes for some strange reason always reminded me of sailor uniforms...

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know what was the point of Picard's off duty uniform (the fleece) worn in Season 5? It's not really an off duty uniform if you wear it on the bridge and at conferences Captain! Tongue out

Edited on 05/30/2010 6:22am

jrsgalaxy

[25]May 30, 2010
    • level: 14
    pferreira86 wrote:

jrsgalaxy wrote:

seto1 wrote:

Yeah, the original uniforms put a lot of weight down on the actors shoulders so it was difficult for them to keep a good posture. The uniforms introduced in Season 3 were made of a totally different material so the actors could just walk normally. The original costumes for some strange reason always reminded me of sailor uniforms...

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know what was the point of Picard's off duty uniform (the fleece) worn in Season 5? It's not really an off duty uniform if you wear it on the bridge and at conferences Captain! Tongue out

Looks to me like it was an all purpose jacket. It was Picards version of Kirks green casual attire. Remember it had a zipper and he always had it unzipped so could been for more comfortability and keep warm at the same time. Or maybe they sometimes got tired of the wearing the stuffy pull-overs all the time and wanted to change it up every now and then.

seto1

[26]Jun 4, 2010
    Ok thanks well i guess we can thank the change for picrad's famous stand and pull.

pferreira86

[27]Jun 6, 2010
    • level: 17

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

jrsgalaxy wrote:

seto1 wrote:

Looks to me like it was an all purpose jacket. It was Picards version of Kirks green casual attire. Remember it had a zipper and he always had it unzipped so could been for more comfortability and keep warm at the same time. Or maybe they sometimes got tired of the wearing the stuffy pull-overs all the time and wanted to change it up every now and then.
    I wonder then why the other characters weren't allowed similar fleeces. I guess captain's privilege?

seto1

[28]Dec 10, 2010
    I was rather thankful for Troi's casual wear

skeeter291

[29]Dec 11, 2010
    • level: 60
    seto1 wrote:
    I was rather thankful for Troi's casual wear

I always thought she looked better in her uniform. I guess it has to do with her hair being pulled up and back. But she did have some great off duty attire.

Scott-

djboy77

[30]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 7

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    Just to play it safe just pick one of the most spectacular episodes TNG ever and will ever produce and that is "The Inner Light".

I agree that Inner Light is one of their most remarkable episodes, and I appreciate it much more now than I did back when I saw it when it originally aired (I'm ashamed to admit I might have even skipped it because it was "not Star Trek"), however I don't think it's a good place to start, because it's a bit out-of-the-box and it's also not representative of the entire series as a whole; it's not really typical. You also don't want to set the bar too high, otherwise they'll be disappointed when they're not all at that level.

I think what you want is an episode which involves all the crew, so she can get exposure to them, and which is not too continuity-dependent (ie: doesn't depend on you knowing that Picard was assimilated - or what a Borg is for that matter - or that Data has a psychotic brother). It's tempting to try to show them the best the series can offer, but those are usually quite involved, and it's hard to jump in at the deep end and stay afloat. Basically, I think you want one of the better "average"/typical episodes. With an away mission, a mystery, some aliens, etc.

Conundrum is probably a good choice, or Clues, or something in that area.