Better Warp-Factor method...

TelFan7

[1]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 6

the cubed-method as in TOS (no upper limit), or the TNG method in which WF10 was the top (unreachable) limit in which if you did reach you could get anywhere instantly?

Yes in TOS the ship on it's own could not get above WF9, but there were episodes with help where they went up to 11 and even 14.  In TNG 9.2 I think (I'll have to check or someone can say) is the highest for the ship, but 9.8 seems highest overall, and 10 is said to be unreachable.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Oderry

[2]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 5
    TelFan7 wrote:

the cubed-method as in TOS (no upper limit), or the TNG method in which WF10 was the top (unreachable) limit in which if you did reach you could get anywhere instantly?

Yes in TOS the ship on it's own could not get above WF9, but there were episodes with help where they went up to 11 and even 14.  In TNG 9.2 I think (I'll have to check or someone can say) is the highest for the ship, but 9.8 seems highest overall, and 10 is said to be unreachable.

TNG

Dbzlotrfan

[3]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 4
    Weather it counts or not in one season 1 ep to TNG I think they did go to 10 or beyond with the "help" of the Star-fleet engineer & "assistant" (who disappeared at end, shown in later episodes)

lennydonkey

[4]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 12

In case people are looking at this that don't know, sometime after TOS Rodenberry refigured the Warp scale. So that it went up exponintaily. Each raise in warp factor was more then double the rate before it. So the jump from 8 to 9 was a much greater leap then from 1 to 2. And Warp 10 was deifined as "infinate velocity" or basicly going anywhere instantly. So now by definition it's impossible to go faster than Warp 10.

But there were several methods of transport faster then the Federation used. Whatever method the Traveler used, the trans-warp hubs of the Borg, whatever method used by the Caretaker to bring Voyager to the Delta Quadrent, and the gates built by the Iconians from the TNG Episode Contagian.

Personally I'd prefer Warp numbers that kept getting higher. It's hard to get your head around the fact that now the jump in speed from Warp 9.7 to 9.8 is far greater the from Warp 1 to 3. It just doesn't seem practical.

Edited on 03/10/2007 7:31am

TelFan7

[5]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 6
    lennydonkey wrote:

In case people are looking at this that don't know, sometime after TOS Rodenberry refigured the Warp scale. So that it went up exponintaily. Each raise in warp factor was more then double the rate before it. So the jump from 8 to 9 was a much greater leap then from 1 to 2. And Warp 10 was deifined as "infinate velocity" or basicly going anywhere instantly. So now by definition it's impossible to go faster than Warp 10.

But there were several methods of transport faster then the Federation used. Whatever method the Traveler used, the trans-warp hubs of the Borg, whatever method used by the Caretaker to bring Voyager to the Delta Quadrent, and the gates built by the Iconians from the TNG Episode Contagian.

Personally I'd prefer Warp numbers that kept getting higher. It's hard to get your head around the fact that now the jump in speed from Warp 9.7 to 9.8 is far greater the from Warp 1 to 3. It just doesn't seem practical.

Me too I prefer the cubed method of TOS.

Edited on 03/21/2007 12:59am