Did Data "love" Tasha Yar in his own sweet way?

did Data love Tasha in his own sweet way?

billilelli

[1]Jun 14, 2009
    • level: 2

Now I realize that Data was incapable of emotions during Naked Now, but I thought I saw a "reaction" when Tasha said to him, "It never happened". Also, during Skin of Evil, after the funereral gathering on the holodeck, Data said to Picard something like, "I keep thinking how empty it will be without her presence..." suggesting that he will "miss" her. Also, during The Measure of a Man, when the judge was ruling that he was a sentient in his own right, he was asked a question about a holoportrait of Tasha, about what it meant to him, and he said they "were intimate". The fact that he had hung on to that holoportrait suggested to me that he had remembered her in a "romantic" way. she had been somehow special to him.

So, guys, what do you all think, hmmm?

Any thoughts?

Edited on 06/14/2009 4:13am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[2]Jun 14, 2009
    • level: 18
    I believe they were in love to a point. Tasha understood how far Data could go but seem to be okay with it and seem to enjoy the limits of Data's love. Her background may have added to this. I wish she had stay one more season just to see where their relationship would have gone.

skaizun

[3]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 20
    His "feelings" toward her were the same as for any other crew member he had known in more than a passing fashion. Since he couldn't feel true emotion toward her - - except, apparently, under the influence of the alcohol-like "bug" that infected everyone (another copycat episode from ST:TOS), which still doesn't make sense since Data has neither blood nor "ze little grey cells" (sorry I couldn't think of a Holmes-based brain description), so to speak, that could make him "drunk" - - then I suppose the closest analogy would be that of someone who owns an aquarium: it's "upsetting" when one of your precious fish dies, but, hey, just flush it and buy another!

pferreira86

[4]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 17
    Data had great trouble expressing emotions. Look at his cringe worthy attempt at a relationship during In Theory. He held great admiration for Tasha and probably liked her a huge amount. If only he had his emotion chip at the time. That's the problem.

loganrogue24

[5]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 6
    i think he loved her in his own unique way.

seto1

[6]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 16
    Hate to be a downer but to be quite honest im not even sure Data knows the full extent to what love is and should be.I know that he is a remarkable machine but he has problems with far more simple concepts and to expect him to grasp love maybe too much.He may have enjoyed the tactile sensation of the sexual experience and he may have also enjoyed tasha's company but i withhold the use of the word love.

billilelli

[7]Jun 20, 2009

Thank you, everyone. I really enjoyed reading your answers. Great insight, everyone. I hope I hear more.

Billi

seto1

[8]Jun 25, 2009
    Well it was a great questions i guess the clear follow up question would be do you believe Data was sentient.

archangelwho

[9]Jul 1, 2009
    • level: 18

seto1 wrote:
    Hate to be a downer but to be quite honest im not even sure Data knows the full extent to what love is and should be.I know that he is a remarkable machine but he has problems with far more simple concepts and to expect him to grasp love maybe too much.He may have enjoyed the tactile sensation of the sexual experience and he may have also enjoyed tasha's company but i withhold the use of the word love.

Great point!!!

seto1

[10]Jul 1, 2009
    Thanks and for emphasis on most occasions he doesnt get the joke which is the basis of humour what makes you think he gets love.

billilelli

[11]Jul 5, 2009

I also found another clue in one of the Star Trek TNG Encyclopedia's. Under the entry, Yar, Natasha, it said that Data kept a small holographic portrait of her and considered it to be "one of his most precious personal possessions". Precious? He loved her! I know it. Only as he could.

Billi:

pferreira86

[12]Jul 6, 2009
    • level: 17
    billilelli wrote:

I also found another clue in one of the Star Trek TNG Encyclopedia's. Under the entry, Yar, Natasha, it said that Data kept a small holographic portrait of her and considered it to be "one of his most precious personal possessions". Precious? He loved her! I know it. Only as he could.

Billi:

Well, from time to time Data would take out his holographic portrait of Tasha. He obviously missed her.

Jedi_Dragon

[13]Apr 2, 2010
    • level: 5

skaizun wrote:
    His "feelings" toward her were the same as for any other crew member he had known in more than a passing fashion. Since he couldn't feel true emotion toward her - - except, apparently, under the influence of the alcohol-like "bug" that infected everyone (another copycat episode from ST:TOS), which still doesn't make sense since Data has neither blood nor "ze little grey cells" (sorry I couldn't think of a Holmes-based brain description), so to speak, that could make him "drunk" - - then I suppose the closest analogy would be that of someone who owns an aquarium: it's "upsetting" when one of your precious fish dies, but, hey, just flush it and buy another!

If I may point out, Data agreed to becoming....intimate with Tasha before the polywater virus affected him. Furthermore, whenever he mentions her in the episodes after her death, he always speaks with a kind of gentleness, a gentleness he only uses when he speaks of her. And how about the way he allowed Ishara to deceive him, because he really wanted to see some part of Tasha in her. He obviously cared deeply about Tasha.

KingofIPirates

[14]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 32
    I would agree with the assessment that he 'loved' her in his own way as his neural pathways got especially accustomed to her sensory input patterns.

billilelli

[15]Apr 18, 2010
    thank you!

This is fun!

Yes, I agree about why he allowed Ishara to deceive him.

She had the same last name.

B.

seto1

[16]May 9, 2010
    Hmm i guess its at times a bit unclear as to the sentient nature of data existence.I have re watched the series and still cant fully wrap my mind around him feeling love just by having a chip implanted but i do admit that data is more than any mere robot and should be given credit where it is due.Emotions may seem quite trivial to the average but we don't fully understand the complex nature that combine to make something as complex as love.Data did have some semblance of emotion if it can be called that and he came closer than any machine even gaining friends and tries but even he had his limits.

my1sunshine

[17]Sep 25, 2010
    • level: 12

billilelli wrote:

Billi:

By the way, Billi.. you may be interested to know that Tasha's memorial message to Data had one final line that was cut from the final version..

" Oh... and by the way, Data.... it happened! "

It was cut, because Roddenberry thought that it ruined the full emotional impact of her final message to him, as the sad look in his face falls right after that line.... but I thought you'd be interested to know Wink.

seto1

[18]Nov 8, 2010

my1sunshine wrote:
    billilelli wrote:
    I also found another clue in one of the Star Trek TNG Encyclopedia's. Under the entry, Yar, Natasha, it said that Data kept a small holographic portrait of her and considered it to be "one of his most precious personal possessions". Precious? He loved her! I know it. Only as he could.Billi:
    By the way, Billi.. you may be interested to know that Tasha's memorial message to Data had one final line that was cut from the final version.." Oh... and by the way, Data.... it happened! "It was cut, because Roddenberry thought that it ruined the full emotional impact of her final message to him, as the sad look in his face falls right after that line.... but I thought you'd be interested to know.
    I dont see how that would ruin anything,it kinda makes me appreciated data journey alot more.