El-Aurian Borg

SRP76

[1]Nov 19, 2007
    • level: 10

Based on clues from Guinan, the El-Aurian race had powers of observation that transcend normal spacetime (like the "feeling that this timeline isn't the right one", and things like that).

We also know that the Borg invaded the El-Aurian homeworld, and "destroyed" the planet.

I think it's safe to assume that at least ONE El-Aurian got assimilated in the process. If so, they're "powers" should be now shared throughout the Collective.

But, is there ever any evidence of the Borg having these type of abilities? I think it would be a very handy "gift" for all drones to have.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lennydonkey

[2]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 12
    SRP76 wrote:

If so, they're "powers" should be now shared throughout the Collective.

But, is there ever any evidence of the Borg having these type of abilities? I think it would be a very handy "gift" for all drones to have.

I don't think every new discovery or ability gets distributed equally among all drones.Instead knowledge is spread where it's most useful. (Voyager said that klingon's made good tactical drones, etc.)

But it's still a good point. My only guess would be that maybe the El-Aurian's abilities actually ARE helping the collective. Which is why they are so hard to stop. There's really no evidence of this though. Except maybe the borg queen in First Contact telling Picard not to think so linearly when he says he thought the borg queen had died.

pjhasham

[3]Nov 25, 2007
    • level: 17
    If the Borg can take those kinds of powers from those they assimiliate then yes, that would be an advantage, especially in a situation like in Star Trek First Contact. But I believe that Guinan's powers were a result of her experience of being pulled out of the Nexus, which would have also happened to the other 46 survivors. So in that case the Borg wouldn't have those powers unless another of those El-Aurians was captured later.

Tronman100

[4]Nov 26, 2007
    • level: 11
    pjhasham wrote:
    But I believe that Guinan's powers were a result of her experience of being pulled out of the Nexus, which would have also happened to the other 46 survivors.

I never thought of that before. There wasn't any real evidence that the other El-Aurians (the one on DS9, and the one on Generations) had any special powers Q-defining powers other then being a 'listener'. However, it would also imply that Picard would now have the same powers since he was also in the Nexus, then left though I suppose in his case it was by choice.

It's really hard to say though in any case because the El-Aurian's are so mysterious which makes them so cool, lol.

lennydonkey

[5]Nov 26, 2007
    • level: 12
    Something else to consider... El-Aurian "listening" abilities are useful and unique (and mysterious), but the borg might have considered them unnecessary. Why listen to the nuances of a different species stories and history when you could just absorb all their thoughts into the hive mind.

SRP76

[6]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 10

Tronman100 wrote:
    pjhasham wrote:
    But I believe that Guinan's powers were a result of her experience of being pulled out of the Nexus, which would have also happened to the other 46 survivors.
    I never thought of that before. There wasn't any real evidence that the other El-Aurians (the one on DS9, and the one on Generations) had any special powers Q-defining powers other then being a 'listener'. However, it would also imply that Picard would now have the same powers since he was also in the Nexus, then left though I suppose in his case it was by choice. It's really hard to say though in any case because the El-Aurian's are so mysterious which makes them so cool, lol.

That is a good theory, but Data had claimed that Guinan's race had these "powers of perception". I always took that as meaning "all of them" (since the episodes were put out long before "the Nexus" was even thought about).

pjhasham

[7]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 17
    SRP76 wrote:

Tronman100 wrote:
    pjhasham wrote:
    I never thought of that before. There wasn't any real evidence that the other El-Aurians (the one on DS9, and the one on Generations) had any special powers Q-defining powers other then being a 'listener'. However, it would also imply that Picard would now have the same powers since he was also in the Nexus, then left though I suppose in his case it was by choice. It's really hard to say though in any case because the El-Aurian's are so mysterious which makes them so cool, lol.

That is a good theory, but Data had claimed that Guinan's race had these "powers of perception". I always took that as meaning "all of them" (since the episodes were put out long before "the Nexus" was even thought about).

The fact that Data said that doesn't prove anything - it was only ever a theory. Also, if I'm right, then Soren (from Generations) and possibly the guy on DS9 would have had the same powers - there was just no point at which he had any reason to demonstrate them. The same with Picard - in First Contact it was obvious to everyone that the timeline had been changed because they saw an assimilated version of Earth when they were in the temporal wake and were protected from the changes.

I think I have a source which points to the nexus as the reason for Guinan's perceptiveness. I'll come back with it later.