TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

First Impressions: My god, this show is so Cheesy...

jake-sf

[1]Feb 13, 2011
    • level: 6

Small story: I'm 21. I've never been of the right age to enjoy the old Star Trek, and nowadays, people my age or lower find Star Trek laughable. I think its reputation is remarkably similar to Teletubies. Don't take this the wrong way, read on.

I ran out of Sci-Fi shows to watch. Loved the likes of StarGate, Battle Star Galactica. But there's just ain't enough. With great fear, I decided to try a show which, by reputation only, I already disliked.

My first impressions: this show is just so CHEESY. This really caught me at first, so much I wanted to quit. But I gave it a shot, and held on.

And I'm not regreting it.

I'm at season 1, episode 22, and loving it. Despite the extremely cheesy begining, the cheesiness in general actually became quite supportable and enjoyable. I love the characters, and the stories are interesting. I can safely say I'm hooked.

Its reputation is a bit deserved, even if I don't agree with it anymore. I think the show's cheesiness (and cheesy reputation) stops it from being enjoyed by younger generation, at least this one (maybe not the newer ones). I think most people my age are less willing to care about something that started long ago, and surely will not botter with something so old and cheesy.

So I just have to say, for anybody out there: This show is actually great. Getting used to the cheesiness is one thing, but once you do, its as good as a sci-fi show should be. Obviously, since it probably started the whole thing?

Anyway. I'm enjoying it, and I'm glad I took the leap. If anybody out there is in doubt, don't. Just try it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Feb 13, 2011
    • level: 66
    Actually, the show really only has a reputation for "cheesiness" in the earlier seasons. Once things really got moving and the show "grew the beard" (a reference to William Riker), the cheesiness ended fast and it became a much more mature show, with some really deep storylines and standout episodes.

Mac-Ale

[3]Feb 14, 2011
    • level: 60
    What does "cheesy" even mean?

The first season can be overly serious, the scripts make the characters take themselves too seiously for people who are supposed to be living and working together in space. That can sometimes be unrealistic and sometimes can cause unintended laughs. Roddenberry's vision of a utopian future was followed so closely in the beginning that the characters are almost robotic.

Believe it or not, the 1980s were not LONG ago (LOL) and it's best to consider context of the time when looking at the products of culture.

And as people grow up, the adjectives they use sometimes become more specific.

pferreira86

[4]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 18

Too cheesy? So jake-sf erm...are you someone that doesn't like too much cheese in their diet or something? Tongue out

Seriously, please don't compare Star Trek to the Teletubbies, there's no similarities.TNG was made in the late 80s/early 90s. It wasn't made that long ago. I don't know what you would consider to have less cheese, I mean you watch Battlestar Galactica which is full of it! Deep Space Nine was a show that tried to present a community of different races living in space and trying to manage to get along. Battlestar does not.The Next Generation carries on the same ideals Gene Roddenberry began on the original 60s series. Star Trek unlike most sci-fi on at the moment isn't supposed to be fatalistic all the time, it's not supposed to be just doom and gloom. As for the shows reputation I'm not sure what you've been hearing but if someone told you to stay away from that kid at school because they are different would you say "yeah sure". But enough ranting welcome to the world of Star Trek. I hope it makes you look at sci-fi in a slightly different way. Smile

Edited on 02/27/2011 12:49pm
    Edited 3 total times.

jrsgalaxy

[5]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 14

I may be wrong but I think he was talking about TOS not Next Gen. Because he states something about the one that started it all.

jrsgalaxy

[6]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 14

jake-sf wrote:

Its reputation is a bit deserved, even if I don't agree with it anymore. I think the show's cheesiness (and cheesy reputation) stops it from being enjoyed by younger generation, at least this one (maybe not the newer ones). I think most people my age are less willing to care about something that started long ago, and surely will not botter with something so old and cheesy.

So I just have to say, for anybody out there: This show is actually great. Getting used to the cheesiness is one thing, but once you do, its as good as a sci-fi show should be. Obviously, since it probably started the whole thing?

Are you talking about The Original Series with Captain Kirk or The Next Generation with Captain Picard? There might be some confusion here.

Edited on 02/22/2011 11:08am

ChipsTheButler

[7]Feb 23, 2011
    • level: 9

Mac-Ale wrote:
    What does "cheesy" even mean? The first season can be overly serious, the scripts make the characters take themselves too seiously for people who are supposed to be living and working together in space. That can sometimes be unrealistic and sometimes can cause unintended laughs. Roddenberry's vision of a utopian future was followed so closely in the beginning that the characters are almost robotic. Believe it or not, the 1980s were not LONG ago (LOL) and it's best to consider context of the time when looking at the products of culture. And as people grow up, the adjectives they use sometimes become more specific.

TVTropes Comes to the rescue.

spicciotti

[8]Feb 26, 2011
    • level: 15

Everything said above is true. The first two seasons are ridiculously cheesy, storylines ripped from the Original Series, and thanks to the WGA strike of '88 the writing of season 2 is pretty lackluster. Once you get out of the jumpsuit episodes and into the ones with the actual uniform, the stories get very solid and very good. Give it time

ChipsTheButler

[9]Mar 15, 2011
    • level: 9
    YOU. ARE. OUT. OF. YOUR. MIND!!!