Good episodes that went bad

kirke_novak

[1]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 9
    I've been rewatching the whole series and noticed, that there are episodes that disappointed me. I either thought, after the first few minutes, that there are going to be better or they had a good plot that just was written poorly.
    The biggest disappointment for me was ‘Remember Me’. The first 20 minutes were an absolute gem, the tension, the mystery, I actually had creeps when watching the scene on the bridge with Picard and Crusher… and then ‘bam!’ all tension just left, the mystery solved in the middle of the episodes. Such a amazing plot and what did they do with it? :/
    Another episode was ‘Relics’. While the idea was brilliant and I loved Scotty to bits (especially his reaction to lieutenant Worf) but the rest was so very… startrek. The moment that Geordie started to act all ‘you’re too old, you don’t know anything’ I knew that in the end it would be Scotty obsolete knowledge that will somehow save everyone. And I was right. Plus, would Geordie really behave like that around the living legend? I just didn’t buy his act at all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lobomensch

[2]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 51
    I didn't like those episodes for what you mentioned, either, though I will favor "Remember Me" MUCH more than "Relics". Having Scotty portrayed as a doddering, nosy buffoon and Geordi practically spitting in his face really angered me, showed how much contempt Berman had for the original series' characters, this episode sucking as badly as Spock's role in "Unification".
    Another real disappointment of an episode was "Journey's End". Not that I am a great fan of Wesley, just wish that they had spent some time showing the Traveller and Wesley giving some true goodbyes, not the 2 minute bum rush we were given. Was good idea for send-off for him, but weakly handled.

AlanShore

[3]Mar 10, 2006
    • level: 3
    "Remember Me" could have been done competently WITHOUT Wesley and the Traveler (AKA the Guardian Angel Plot Device). Quaice was wasted in the story when they were brought on; he was a much more interesting character.

lobomensch

[4]Mar 10, 2006
    True, Wesley and the Traveler could've stayed out of that. Funny how one ep. it's bad for both of them to be there, and then in the other that angle was underutilized. Could've done without the Traveler posing as someone else the whole ep.
    Another real disappointment was "Redemption, Parts I & II."
    Sela was a character that should NEVER have existed to begin with. Not knocking Denise, just that in addition to how badly the character was written - coming across more as a Snydely Whiplash/Sherriff Buford T. Justice than a competent Romulan officer. (just HOW did someone that young, let alone a half-Romulan, attain that station?) That to me was one of the biggest shark-jumps of the entire series.

AlanShore

[5]Mar 10, 2006
    Funny story about Sela...

Back when Playmates was putting out their first wave of TNG action figures, I bought one of Sela and tried to put her in a seated position.

This was BEFORE the action figures were made with rotating knees. The legs snapped right off and I spent the next few years with a one-of-a-kind, "Lt. Dan" Sela.

In retrospect, that actually made the character more interesting.
    Edited on 03/10/2006 10:00am

LithiumAngel420

[6]Mar 10, 2006
    • level: 4
    AlanShore wrote:
    I spent the next few years with a one-of-a-kind, "Lt. Dan" Sela

lmfao....

AlanShore

[7]Mar 10, 2006
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:
    AlanShore wrote:
    I spent the next few years with a one-of-a-kind, "Lt. Dan" Sela

lmfao....

I also had one of the few "Pulaski" figures, but I digress...

lobomensch

[8]Mar 11, 2006
    Ah, those good old Galoob figures. Funny how many different colors they painted Data's head, used to have a spotted one myself.

lobomensch

[9]Mar 11, 2006
    Oh, speaking of Galoob figures, do have a Tasha, still in package. One of the harder ones to find, next to Q.

AlanShore

[10]Mar 12, 2006
    lobomensch wrote:
    Oh, speaking of Galoob figures, do have a Tasha, still in package. One of the harder ones to find, next to Q.

Are you talking about the Q figure that's about a head taller than all the other figures?

I had that one, too.

lobomensch

[11]Mar 12, 2006
    Yes, that is the Q figure I am thinking of. Speaking of figures, you should see the Previews Exclusive Locutus Figure Art Asylum is doing. Fantastic! They really do make nice Trek stuff, loved their TOS phaser; too bad their Marvel statues and busts look like crap. (especially with those stupid logos they plaster on the bottom of the busts)

lwnordrfn

[12]Feb 22, 2007

The biggest disappointment for me was ‘Remember Me’. The first 20 minutes were an absolute gem, the tension, the mystery, I actually had creeps when watching the scene on the bridge with Picard and Crusher… and then ‘bam!’ all tension just left, the mystery solved in the middle of the episodes. Such a amazing plot and what did they do with it?end quote

I loved Remember me. I like Beverly so any epsidoe with lots of her is fine by me. I actully felt sorry for her in the end when she was all alone. This was too funny and can only be said on a star ship " if there's nothing wrong with me then there must me something wrong with the universe" Yeah.. the bits with the traveler -who appeared from nowhere and wes concentrating really hard did annoyed me.

crl22

[13]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 1

Remember Me. Unless I'm forgetting an episode, it's the only one that really starts off well but ends slowly. In regards to Relics, it was an entertaining episode, but Geordi's explosion at Scotty was the most out-of-character moment in the series, and I have a hard time believing that Scotty would really be as annoyingly nostalgic as he was. Like Geordi, he was portrayed out-of-character.

MattRker

[14]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    Qpid was really disappointing in how they made Picard's first Q encounter after the Borg assimilated him into a comedy of sorts. I really was hoping we got some anger from Picard at least a little. I didn't like Vash in this at all. She was great in her first appearance but not here. Story was too lightweight for me. Relics is another episode I was looking forward to, but was again let down. For pretty much the same reasons as others have noticed here.
    Edited on 10/18/2007 10:14am

psychomgs

[15]Nov 4, 2007
    'I, Borg' and the 'Descent' two-parter killed the Borg IMO. Letting them talk ruined them and they were no longer frightening.
    Also the very end of 'Future Imperfect' where Riker sees the true appearance of 'Jean Luc'. He looked so corny like a toy alien, obviously the make up department had run out of money.

Codeguru

[16]Nov 19, 2007
    • level: 6

Pretty much any of the female centric episodes were crap. Though they didn't start out good in the first place. The only exception maybe the evolving light freak guy episode except for the liberal propoganda infested within it was pretty decent...

Codeguru

VulcanTwin

[17]Nov 20, 2007
    Codeguru wrote:

Pretty much any of the female centric episodes were crap. Though they didn't start out good in the first place. The only exception maybe the evolving light freak guy episode except for the liberal propoganda infested within it was pretty decent...

Codeguru

Excuse me?! For great female centric episodes, see Face of The Enemy, Suspicions and anything featuring Ro Laren. And how about Skin of Evil? As far as disappointing episodes, those with a Picard love interest were a let down, especially The Perfect Mate. I would have liked to see Kamala ditch that bum and return later to live happily ever after with Capt Picard.

seto1

[18]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 16
    what the episode where they brought back topaul for a last diplomatic mission with the romulans ,only to have us discover she is a romulan spy . i mean is this real what the hell was that

VulcanTwin

[19]Dec 9, 2007
    seto1 wrote:
    what the episode where they brought back topaul for a last diplomatic mission with the romulans ,only to have us discover she is a romulan spy . i mean is this real what the hell was that
    That was Data's Day. T'Pel (A Vulcan) was actually Romulan Sub-Commander Selok.

seto1

[20]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 16
    so what about all those episodes where they show her vulcan parents was all that a lie too