How they get in those uniforms in season one?

supperkat

[1]May 2, 2007
    • level: 6
    It seem to me that they were ZIPPER back uniforms.It's pretty hard to zip yourself from the back.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JemHadar359

[2]May 3, 2007
    And also, Gene Roddenberry made it a point to declare that zippers didn't exist in the 24th century. They are seen throughout all of TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

puzzlingpixie

[3]May 3, 2007
    • level: 12
    Haha, I didn'y know that anyone stressed that zippers didn't exist. Their uniforms are super cool and zip themselves (obviously )! but realistically that's what costume people are for, to zip you up. Also they must be uncomfortable, Picard's signature move was to tug down on the front of his uniform to fix the bunches and stuff, he always does it before he sits down in his captain's chair. I think that once you've evolved mentally enough to create ships that fly around the galaxy you would design or wear something so stupidly uncomfortable, hot, or impracticle. Gee, I'd love to read a cast commentary on what they thought about the outfits they had to wear. (Of course, let it be stated that I love the outfits though because they are part of the Star Trek cannon)

lennydonkey

[4]May 7, 2007
    • level: 12
    puzzlingpixie wrote:
    I think that once you've evolved mentally enough to create ships that fly around the galaxy you would design or wear something so stupidly uncomfortable, hot, or impracticle.
    Then again maybe the uniforms were made of a fancy future material that was very comfortable and did a good job being neither to hot or too cold. How else can you explain why they would wear just that on away missions when it could be very hot or ridiculously cold without even throwing on a jacket or hat.

Tronman100

[5]May 8, 2007
    • level: 11
    lennydonkey wrote:
    puzzlingpixie wrote:
    I think that once you've evolved mentally enough to create ships that fly around the galaxy you would design or wear something so stupidly uncomfortable, hot, or impracticle.
    Then again maybe the uniforms were made of a fancy future material that was very comfortable and did a good job being neither to hot or too cold. How else can you explain why they would wear just that on away missions when it could be very hot or ridiculously cold without even throwing on a jacket or hat.

That function of the uniforms in mentioned is some of the novels.

casslean

[6]May 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    Actually, I remember reading an interview with Patrick Stewart where he explained that those earlier uniforms were made from spandex and were designed to be a size too small so they would be VERY form-fitting. After two seasons, the stress being placed on the actors' bodies from fighting against the spandex so much was starting to affect the actors' health. Stewart's chiropractor demanded they change the uniforms before it did irreparable damage to his back.

lwnordrfn

[7]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 3
    I read that the first uniforms were so tight that the actors would get back pains from wearing them all day. The mens uniform was changed (but only for those above ensign rank i think) to the separate top in a more breathable material. However the material kept shifting and thats how the "Picard manoeuvre" came about.

jrsgalaxy

[8]Jun 21, 2007
    • level: 14
    lwnordrfn wrote:
    However the material kept shifting and thats how the "Picard manoeuvre" came about.

Picard wasnt the only one that did it. You see riker do it all the time. And actually that wasnt the real reason they did that. i dont if it was uncomfortable or not. but they were told to do that by Roddenberry or a producer dont remember who, because they wanted the future to be perfect and wrinkle free.

loganrogue24

[9]Dec 30, 2008
    i thought the first season uniforms zipped in the front, i loved how hot Tasha was in her uniform.

jrsgalaxy

[10]Dec 30, 2008

Its funny how you still see male crewmembers wear those first season uniforms in later seasons even the 7th I believe.

pferreira86

[11]Dec 31, 2008
    • level: 17

casslean wrote:
    Actually, I remember reading an interview with Patrick Stewart where he explained that those earlier uniforms were made from spandex and were designed to be a size too small so they would be VERY form-fitting. After two seasons, the stress being placed on the actors' bodies from fighting against the spandex so much was starting to affect the actors' health. Stewart's chiropractor demanded they change the uniforms before it did irreparable damage to his back.
    Yes, that's right! I remember hearing how the tightness of the costume put stress on the shoulders. Posture was a real problem. You're instinct would be to go into hunchback, trying to stand up straight wearing these uniforms put strain on your back.

I believe the production crew found a way to use these costumes at least once in every season, Season 4's Identity Crisis and Season 7's All Good Thing's. I can't recall off the top of my head where in the other seasons after the uniform change they were used.

jrsgalaxy

[12]Dec 31, 2008
    pferreira86 wrote:

casslean wrote:
    Yes, that's right! I remember hearing how the tightness of the costume put stress on the shoulders. Posture was a real problem. You're instinct would be to go into hunchback, trying to stand up straight wearing these uniforms put strain on your back.

I believe the production crew found a way to use these costumes at least once in every season, Season 4's Identity Crisis and Season 7's All Good Thing's. I can't recall off the top of my head where in the other seasons after the uniform change they were used.

They were used all the time by the crew. if they had a speaking role they might use an updated uniform. But at least all the old uniforms were used all the time by extras.

seto1

[13]Jan 6, 2009
    • level: 16
    i guess the old uniform was clearly more advanced than they appeared,a simply zipper doesnt seem practical in such a position

pferreira86

[15]Jan 13, 2009
    jrsgalaxy wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

casslean wrote:

They were used all the time by the crew. if they had a speaking role they might use an updated uniform. But at least all the old uniforms were used all the time by extras.
    I think from Season 5 onwards the extras stopped wearing the old uniforms. I don't remember anyone wearing the Season 1 uniforms in the later seasons. I also remember that the Season 5 episode Violations had Picard wearing the old uniform in Dr Crusher's weird flashback. Now I wonder which episode in Season 6 the old uniforms were used.

cvjrbdjkasfi

[16]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 7
    loganrogue24 wrote:
    i thought the first season uniforms zipped in the front, i loved how hot Tasha was in her uniform.

She's even better OUT of her uniform!

seto1

[17]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 16
    IM SURE SHE IS.

pferreira86

[18]Mar 19, 2009
    Hate to leave a question unanswered. Referring back to my previous post Second Chances was the Season 6 episode where the original Season 1 uniforms were used. Tom Riker wore one I believe.

stvoyman

[19]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 4
    Didn't we see them in All Good Things too?

pferreira86

[20]Mar 23, 2009
    Yes, they were used by the crew in the past timeline.