Just discovered Star Trek NOW

WilleZz

[1]Dec 15, 2006
    • level: 3
        That's right, it always kind of been there, but I never actually looked at it. Now I'm 18 and I watched an episode and was facinated with it. After that I have watched about 10 episodes and I'm totally hooked. The thing that is so good about star trek is the stories of every single episode is compelling.

Anyway I have a hard time changing cast, so this is concerning the Picard crew cast, the next generation I guess. Anyway I want to know about all the material with this cast. I mean is there a movie with them?

I am going to buy all seasons of the next generation (anyone know a good place btw?) and are there any movies, are there going to be new seasons with this cast in the future? a film with this cast? How is Jean-Luc Picard today and in the future? is it over? am I too late? thanks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

balso_tonic

[2]Dec 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    There are 4 movies with the NG crew. You can buy the seasons used in great condition for a lot cheaper than new, on Amazon. And yeah the show ended in 94.

UrbaaniPuoskari

[3]Dec 17, 2006
    I too just "founded" TNG, I watched first two seasons veeery fast cause I heard they´d get even better from then on

It is ahead of its time, thats for sure. Some things are made quite good even though theyve been made like 20 years ago

ElJorro

[4]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 7
    Keep watching my friend! You are about to embark on a great journey!

bbalint85

[5]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 14
    I started ST cca. 2 years ago, now I'm 21.
    I watched it in perfect order (TOS, animated series..)
    Currently I'm at TNG's 5th season.
    I must say it's a big disappointment for me. Every episode is aboard the enterprise, no action at all, no new worlds new civilizations..(well yeah, the borg, but it isn't enough for 7 seasons)

So I recommend you The Original Series, it's the best imo.

X-624

[6]Dec 23, 2006
    • level: 12
    Yeah I just found out about this too great show I like TNG I found one movie(VSH)..Theres four eh

lobomensch

[7]Dec 23, 2006
    • level: 51
    Welcome to the fold, all new viewers... Makes me all misty-eyed thinking back on my first encounter with Trek, some 30-odd years ago. ::sniff:: Well, here's to 'warped' minds!

aspettig

[8]Dec 24, 2006
    How exciting for you!  I remember when I first "discovered" TNG.  I watched the entire series in about a month.  Anyhoo, I know it was already mentioned, but there are four TNG movies: Insurrection, First Contact, Generations, and Nemesis.  My two favorites out of those four are Generations and First Contact. 

Let us know what you think after you watch a couple of seasons and see the movies! 

X-624

[9]Dec 24, 2006
    • level: 12
    Yeah I got First Contact one ...it was Good . Oh and I saw the last 3 seasons.

lwnordrfn

[10]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 3
    I discivered STTNG end Sept 2006. Im hooked!!!! Ive seen about half of the episodes and 2 movies. I cant believe i never watched this show growing up!
    To the new people.. read the book "Imzadi"

pjhasham

[11]Jan 4, 2007
    • level: 17
    WilleZz wrote:
    The thing that is so good about star trek is the stories of every single episode is compelling.

How is Jean-Luc Picard today and in the future?

Believe me, there are some boring and pointless episodes: TNG Season 2 Episode 20 Shades of Grey was nothing but a clip show.

To answer your question in an overly literal sense, Jean-Luc Picard has not been born yet and won't be for another three centuries. But seriously, nothing has been seen of him since the last TNG movie, the underrated Nemesis, and he won't be in the next movie because it's set in the mid 23rd century.

alex20020712

[12]Jan 7, 2007
    WilleZz wrote:
    I am going to buy all seasons of the next generation

You should rent a couple of those DVDs, and see if you want to spend that kind of money buying the terrible video transfer.

CruisD64

[13]Feb 27, 2007
    haha, i've watched star trek since it aired in 1987. I was born in 1983 . my mom was a trekkie and my family used to sit down as a family and watch TNG. I was 4 years old (Don't worry, she never tried to teach me Klingon, lol). Since then I've probably watched TNG 4 or 5 times through. It's my favorite show of all time. It's pretty corny sometimes and the acting isnt the greatest, but the dialogue and pace of the show have never been matched by any other TV show. Picard is simply fantastic. The rest of the Star Treks are ok. I've seen all of them. Don't bother with DS9, waste of time. My next favorite series was Enterprise, which was unfortunately cut short and ended on Season 4 (Season 1 is kinda slow but speeds up after a while). You should give that one a try too. Voyager is good too except for Neelix. I ALWAYS wanted to punch his Talaxian face. Also, as far as the timeline, it is left unknown after Voyager. I really hope they have at least one more series which takes place after cause if you've seen Voyager all the way through, ie, the last episode, you'll know what I'm talking about. Voyager is a bad ass ship! armor plating? wtf? yeeeeeeeeah!

beyonder007

[14]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 2

bbalint85 ??? who are you?

the next generation is amazing!

enjoy!

and yes.. i have the dvds.. terrible video transfer is right..i have a 150 inch screen.. and i can see teh lines as clear as day.. they obviously never rendered this series in very high quality.. anyways.. the later star trek was obvioulsy shot with better equipment.. i havent watched yet..but im assuming enterprise will look just gorgeous..

bluegoldrose

[15]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 4

CruisD64 wrote:
    haha, i've watched star trek since it aired in 1987. I was born in 1983 . my mom was a trekkie and my family used to sit down as a family and watch TNG. I was 4 years old (Don't worry, she never tried to teach me Klingon, lol). Since then I've probably watched TNG 4 or 5 times through. It's my favorite show of all time. It's pretty corny sometimes and the acting isnt the greatest, but the dialogue and pace of the show have never been matched by any other TV show. Picard is simply fantastic. The rest of the Star Treks are ok. I've seen all of them. Don't bother with DS9, waste of time. My next favorite series was Enterprise, which was unfortunately cut short and ended on Season 4 (Season 1 is kinda slow but speeds up after a while). You should give that one a try too. Voyager is good too except for Neelix. I ALWAYS wanted to punch his Talaxian face. Also, as far as the timeline, it is left unknown after Voyager. I really hope they have at least one more series which takes place after cause if you've seen Voyager all the way through, ie, the last episode, you'll know what I'm talking about. Voyager is a bad ass ship! armor plating? wtf? yeeeeeeeeah!

hey, don't dis DS9!  it might not be everyone's thing, but some of us love it!

Welcome to all the new trekkies

I've grown up on Trek, and love it all (except the last episode of ENT- if you watch that show NEVER, EVER watch the finale!!)  I was born in '87, so I'm as old as the new generation of Trek.  (please don't let the new movie destroy everything)

WingcommanderIV

[16]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 8
    Yo, STar Trek is awesome. If you really like the next generation, I can't tell you how much you'll like the original series, because the problem is a lot that happens isn't reall canon. Like they do stuff, and starfleet does stuff, and acts differently than they do in the next generation, or even in the movies. Personally, if you want to have the cannon Star Trek experiance watch in this order:

(Star Trek The Original Series would go here, but again, it's really not required viewing...I mean it's fun, I love it, but I don't really consider it Canon)
    Star Trek I: The Motion Picture
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    Star Trek V: The FInal Frontier
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    Star Trek The Next Generation Seasons 1-7
    Star Trek VII: Generations
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine Season 1-7
    Star Trek VIII: First Contact
    Star Trek IX: Inserrection
    Star Trek X: Nemesis
    Star Trek Voyager Season 1-7
    and then I guess Star Trek Enterprise, if you must.

I suppose you can watch the star trek movies VII-X before DS9, if you really want to, shouldn't change much, but the list I gave is closer to following the chronological order. If you're a stickler to watching everything in order, than you'd wanna watch it in this order...

Star Trek: Enterprise Season 1-4
    (Star Trek The Original Series would go here, but again, it's really not required viewing...I mean it's fun, I love it, but I don't really consider it Canon) Star Trek I: The Motion Picture
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    Star Trek V: The FInal Frontier
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    Star Trek The Next Generation Seasons 1-4
    Star Trek Deep Space 9 Season 1
    Star Trek The Next Generation Season 5
    Star Trek Deep Space 9 Season 2
    Star Trek The Next Generation Season 6
    Star Trek Deep Space 9 Season 3
    Star Trek The Next Generation Season 7
    Star Trek Deep Space 9 Season 4
    Star Trek VII: Generations
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine Season 5-7
    Star Trek VIII: First Contact
    Star Trek IX: Inserrection
    Star Trek Voyager Season 1-7
    Star Trek X: Nemesis

Some people are saying things like DS9 sucks or something. Naw, it's just different. less exploring, and more drama, sure, but that doesn't make it terrible. There's also the whole war thing that takes up a lot of seasons. Out of all the shows, Deep Space 9 is the most like Babylon 5, in that it has a continual story that lasts for many seasons. You really can't skip it, like some people say. And you'll enjoy watching it too, trust me.

Anyway, I just wasted a lot of my time doing this, it's just I have a friend who I just introduced to Star Trek yesterday with the first 2 movies, and I think I've got him hooked. So yeah, this stuff has been on my mind.

bluegoldrose

[17]Mar 8, 2007

[QUOTE="WingcommanderIV"]Yo, STar Trek is awesome. If you really like the next generation, I can't tell you how much you'll like the original series, because the problem is a lot that happens isn't reall canon. Like they do stuff, and starfleet does stuff, and acts differently than they do in the next generation, or even in the movies. Personally, if you want to have the cannon Star Trek experiance watch in this order: (Star Trek The Original Series would go here, but again, it's really not required viewing...I mean it's fun, I love it, but I don't really consider it Canon) QUOTE]

How can you not consider TOS canon!  Without TOS, the rest doesn't exist... How can you even consider yourself a fan without respecting what started it all!  And who are you to say what's canon and what's not!  Everything until half-way through TNG was Roddenberry's work, and he connected it all, and so did his successors, therefore everything is canon that was shown on TV.  Yes, you are entitled to your own ideas, but that particular one is mind-numbing.

kk11819

[18]Mar 9, 2007
    • level: 5
    Yeah im sorta new to it too, my dad bought all of the season box sets of  voyager and asked me and my sis to watch it with him like everytime he watched it, and so eventually we just didnt have the heart to keep refusing him so we watched an episode, then made him go all the way back to the start, lol! Anyway my twin got COMPLETLY hooked and i was into it aswell so now were i think just ending season 2 of TNG (my dad also has all the seasons of that) and personally i think voyager is better but if anyone has seen all of both can i get your opinion please??

bluegoldrose

[19]Mar 10, 2007
    kk11819 wrote:
    Yeah im sorta new to it too, my dad bought all of the season box sets of  voyager and asked me and my sis to watch it with him like everytime he watched it, and so eventually we just didnt have the heart to keep refusing him so we watched an episode, then made him go all the way back to the start, lol! Anyway my twin got COMPLETLY hooked and i was into it aswell so now were i think just ending season 2 of TNG (my dad also has all the seasons of that) and personally i think voyager is better but if anyone has seen all of both can i get your opinion please??
    It's all opinion really (lol) I think VOY is more interesting because Star Fleet isn't around, and they have to make their choices based on necessity. I'm not fond of TNG except for a few episodes here and there. Everyone has the shows/episodes they like/dislike, and they're always different from person to person. VOY develops the characters more than TNG does if that's what you're interested in. Personally I like DS9 the best, but between VOY and TNG, I'd go with VOY.

crl22

[20]Mar 10, 2007

I liked TNG the most. If you can ignore the pathetically dismal first two seasons, it really achieved a unique balance between Roddenberry's uplifting vision, drama, adventure, and character development. I only wish that it could've benefitted from some of the improved special effects of its spinoff shows. That said, I've seen about 80% of DS9 and and 50% of VOY and I think that both are excellent shows, and I don't understand why they never fared too well in the ratings. The only one that I disliked was ENT.