Just discovered Star Trek NOW

hazzy113

[21]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 4
    It's kind of funny, the ST shows got worse and worse (ratings wise anyway) with each new one that premiered after Roddenberry died. I have to admit it did lose a certain feel to it, but DS9 and VOY were great shows.

And I know I'm in the minority, but Enterprise just straight out ruled.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

WingcommanderIV

[22]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 8
    I don't think you understood me. I love the Original Series, it's good campy fun. But that's just it, it's campy. It doesn't take itself very seriously. It's like one step above the old Batman show. Also a great show, but for different reasons. But The Original Series wasn't really about Starfleet, or space wars, finding peace, or anything like that. It was about some cool people travelling the universe fighting greek gods and other weird stuff. To say that everything that happened in the original series REALLY happened, would be like saying the entire Star Trek universe is a ridiculous farse. A lot of the episodes just don't hold up, story wise, to what the show made of itself. They never really started taking themselves seriously until the movies, and even some of the movies you gotta take with a grain of salt (Number 5 for instance). The Next Generation, it was finally a universe you could believe. I'm not saying the original Star Trek was bad, I'm saying there are too many episodes, that for all extent and purposes are just swept under the rug and forgotten by the time they got to The Next Generation, otherwise they wouldn't have a serious sci-fi show.

bluegoldrose

[23]Mar 17, 2007

WingcommanderIV wrote:
    I don't think you understood me. I love the Original Series, it's good campy fun. But that's just it, it's campy. It doesn't take itself very seriously. It's like one step above the old Batman show. Also a great show, but for different reasons. But The Original Series wasn't really about Starfleet, or space wars, finding peace, or anything like that. It was about some cool people travelling the universe fighting greek gods and other weird stuff. To say that everything that happened in the original series REALLY happened, would be like saying the entire Star Trek universe is a ridiculous farse. A lot of the episodes just don't hold up, story wise, to what the show made of itself. They never really started taking themselves seriously until the movies, and even some of the movies you gotta take with a grain of salt (Number 5 for instance). The Next Generation, it was finally a universe you could believe. I'm not saying the original Star Trek was bad, I'm saying there are too many episodes, that for all extent and purposes are just swept under the rug and forgotten by the time they got to The Next Generation, otherwise they wouldn't have a serious sci-fi show.

I agree with that, but even the first 2 seasons of TNG are campy.  60's TV by and large was kinda campy.  The Motion Picture is also a good example of something to not take seriously.  Now I understand what you meant.

LithiumAngel420

[24]Mar 24, 2007
    WingcommanderIV wrote:

....Star Trek IX: Inserrection
    Star Trek X: Nemesis
    Star Trek Voyager Season 1-7
    and then I guess Star Trek Enterprise, if you must.

Okay I know I am a little behind on the posting (I haven't been back in a few months - no internet access), but I just wanted to point out that if you are trying to go in chronological order you'll want to watch the VOY series before you see Nemisis (remember Admiral Janeway?).

AlexTheGreyWolf

[25]Jun 17, 2007

kk11819 wrote:
    Yeah im sorta new to it too, my dad bought all of the season box sets of voyager and asked me and my sis to watch it with him like everytime he watched it, and so eventually we just didnt have the heart to keep refusing him so we watched an episode, then made him go all the way back to the start, lol! Anyway my twin got COMPLETLY hooked and i was into it aswell so now were i think just ending season 2 of TNG (my dad also has all the seasons of that) and personally i think voyager is better but if anyone has seen all of both can i get your opinion please??

I haven't seen every episode of TNG and VOY (I hope to have the DVD sets sometime this year), but TNG is my favorite trek show, the cast was excellent, and Picard was the best captain ever. My favorite character in TNG is Data because of my interest in the field of AI.

Voyager is my second favorte trek show, Janeway was a fine captain, the graphics were great, and while I think the crew was not as interesting as the one in TNG it was fine. I don't have a clear favorite character for this show, but if I had to pick one it'd be Seven of Nine, I like her machine-like logic, reminds me of Data. My second pick would be The Doctor, again because of the AI. The reason why he's not my favorite is that I don't like his cheerful manner, too human-like.

House24Fan

[26]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 5

There are seven seasons of TNG and four movies.

If you want to really get into Trek and watch everything then they all go in THIS order chronologically:

Star Trek:Enterprise-Seasons 1-4(DVD)

Star Trek:The Original Series-Seasons 1-3(DVD)

Star Trek:The Motion Picture(DVD)

Star Trek:The Wrath of Khan(DVD)

Star Trek:The Search fo Spock(DVD)

Star Trek:The Voyage Home(DVD)

Star Trek:The Final Frontier(DVD)

Star Trek:The Undiscovered Country(DVD)

Star Trek:The Next Generation-Seasons 1-5 or 6(6 overlaps with DS9 season 1,you can either watch 5 and then watch DS9 or watch 6.It doesn't really make a difference)-DVD

Star Trekeep Space Nine-Season 1(DVD)

Star Trek:The Next Generation-Season 7(DVD)

Star Trekeep Space Nine-Season 2

Star Trek:Generations(DVD)

Star Trekeep Space Nine-Season 3(DVD)

Star Trek:Voyager-Season 1(DVD)

Star Trekeep Space Nine-Season 4(DVD)

Star Trek:Voyager-Season 2(DVD)

Star Trek:First Contact(DVD)

Star Trekeep Space Nine-Season 5(DVD)

Star Trek:Voyager-Season 3

Star Trekeep Space Nine-Season 6(DVD)

Star Trek:Voyager-Season 4(DVD)

Star Trek:Insurrection(DVD)

Star Trekeep Space Nine-Season 7(DVD)

Star Trek:Voyager-Season 5(DVD)

Star Trek:Voyager-Season 6(DVD)

Star Trek:Voyager-Season 7(DVD)

Star Trek:Nemesis(DVD)

-The best series,in my opinion,are The Next Generation and Enterprise.I also really like Deep Space Nine if it's the right episode.

The Original Series(which is definitely canon as Gene Roddenberry&co considered it so no matter how cheesy it came off sometimes.The only non-canon series is the animated one)is very good but I get bored with it I'm sorry to say. The only series I'm really against is Voyager because the characters were so boring and/or annoying. I rarely felt for any of them.Plus,the storylines got very strange in this series I thought.The way they handled the issues went too far in a certain direction. I still watch Voyager occasionally but I'm not ever that enthralled by it. Also,as far as the films go,I put them in this order as far as howgood they are:The Wrath of Khan,The Search fo Spock,The Voyage Home(these 3 are the brilliant Trek trilogy),First Contact,(classic sci-fi action),Insurrection(wonderful scenery,fine acting,a good villain),Nemesis(highly under-rated,lots of action,major character stuff),Generations(cute but more like an overly long ep.),The Final Frontier(really funny but with a weak plot overall,mostly just good jokes,one long episode),Undiscovered Country(had some boring parts and you could tell the cast had aged quite a bit and were tiring of the whole thing),The Motion Picture(The definition of a migraine.this movie is better than sheep by a long shot for those sleepless nights.Basically a ehash of old TOS eps. as a way of starting a movie franchise.The makers obviously realized their mistakes and the next film,TWOK,was the best).