Miles O'Brien

karswijnholds

[1]Oct 30, 2005
    • level: 14
    I just started rewatching TNG on DVD, and I saw that in Season 2 Miles O'Brien has the rank of Lieutenant (the two pips on his uniform), but on DS9 it is said he was a non-commissioned officer. Is this a goof?

Just wondering.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CaptAdama

[2]Nov 1, 2005
    • level: 6
    I always remember O'Brien being referred to as "Chief".

jhmatt980

[3]Nov 2, 2005
    O'Brian was called "Chief" because he was transporter chief on TNG and chief of operations on DS9. On TNG, he started out as an ensign and was later a lieutenant.

karswijnholds

[4]Nov 5, 2005
    • level: 14
    But in the episode "Family" he was called chief petty officer so he could not have been a lieutenant.

in-correct

[5]Nov 5, 2005
    • level: 2
    jhmatt980 wrote:
    O'Brian was called "Chief" because he was transporter chief on TNG and chief of operations on DS9. On TNG, he started out as an ensign and was later a lieutenant.

I have been trying to find out the same thing. Other people keep saying that he has no rank, but here's what I think:

He had a lieutenant rank, and it was also in a two part episode where Worf was on another ship and Chief O'brien did Worf's Job. You can clearly see he is wearing a lieutenant rank. (They also had him in Season 1, but they didn't mention his name then.) And they changed his rank later, but I think that was a mistake that they didn't notice. It would make sense for him to be called Chief since they call any transporter officer "Chief" like Chief Herbert or Chief Brosmer, And I think that also "Chief" could have been a nickname.

jhmatt980

[6]Nov 10, 2005
    karswijnholds wrote:
    But in the episode "Family" he was called chief petty officer so he could not have been a lieutenant.

This is taken straight from the website Wikipedia.org.

In the episode "Family", Worf's father Sergey Rozhenko called him a "chief petty officer". O'Brien did not object to this, although he could have held his tongue in politeness.

CaptAdama

[7]Nov 11, 2005
    But I can't remember O'Brien ever talking about going to the Academy. I really doubt whether he was an officer.

jhmatt980

[8]Nov 11, 2005
    CaptAdama wrote:
    But I can't remember O'Brien ever talking about going to the Academy. I really doubt whether he was an officer.

That doesn't mean anything. Many characters have never talked about their acadamy days because its not always important.

HeyMickey85

[9]Nov 21, 2005
    • level: 8
    jhmatt980 wrote:
    karswijnholds wrote:

This is taken straight from the website Wikipedia.org.

In the episode "Family", Worf's father Sergey Rozhenko called him a "chief petty officer". O'Brien did not object to this, although he could have held his tongue in politeness.

Wikipedia has Star Trek related references on it?? I use it for my lit class lol

GodEmperorJason

[10]Nov 22, 2005
    • level: 4
    I think its really an issue of symbology. In TNG I think they simply didnt want to design a symbol for the rank, he has such a symbol on his collar when he becomes a main character in DS9. I think he was never intended to be an officer, but that they figured why bother to design a new collar symbol for one minor recurring character.

CaptAdama

[11]Nov 28, 2005
    He is not a commissioned officer. He mentions it in the DS9 episode "Paradise". Miles says he joined Starfleet right after high school and is a non-commissioned officer.

foolzgold

[12]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 3
    Well, it must have been a goof, because in TNG's "The Wounded" (that's the one about the captian killing all those Cardassians), one of the main character points of the story was that O'Brien was the tactical officer for Captain Maxwell way back. Obviously, you can't be tactical officer if you never went to the Academy.

Since DS9 came after TNG, I'm stickin' with the Academy story =)

LithiumAngel420

[13]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    CaptAdama wrote:

LMAO
    Uhhh... how often do you talk about going to Elementary school?

Regardless of whether or not he went to the Academy, the fact still remains that there were inconsistencies in his rank. This could be chalked up to a "wardrobe malfunction". On Voyager when Tuvok's character (a Lieutenant at the time) wore the rank of Lt. Commander for several episodes during the 2nd or 3rd season it was chalked up to a "wardrobe malfunction".
    Edited on 02/05/2006 9:43pm

reachums

[14]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 9
    He didn't go through officers training, he is an enlisted man. That doesn't mean he can't be in charge of things. He mentioned in DS9 that when Nog graduated from the accadamy he would have to call Nog "Sir"