Most pointless TNG movie?

Deanna_T

[1]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 28
    My vote goes for "Insurrection"...pointless, weird, inconsistent, weak swiss cheese plot, unneeded bath scene [I went blind during that scene].  My cat could have done a better job writing this movie. It flips back and forth from Picard on that planet to the ship where Data is up to something or the aliens are plotting evil. Then Insurrection trys to redeem itself with the Riker something or another move, but it was to late because I was already half-sleep, but the FX were really nice. Would have made a better 2 parter with less talk and more action.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LithiumAngel420

[2]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 4
    Agreed. Generations was pivitol on two fronts: Data's emotion chip and the destruction of the Enterprise-D. First Contact introduced us to The Flight Of The Pheonix (which secretly we had all been wanting to see, just not with an old drunk piloting) and the new Enterprise-E. Nemisis gave us closer on Will and Deanna, and of course brought an end to our favorite android.

WTF DID INSURRECTION DO FOR US?

nuclearbandito

[3]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 17
    The last good TNG movie was First Contact.

Insurrection showed that the Federation was willing to go behind their own backs and break the laws they created to delay the fall of the Federation. In the end, I think the Federation Council realized teaming up with the Son'a was a big mistake (probably right after Ru'afo killed Daugherty).

Nemesis was just poorly written. It was so bad fans probably didn't go see it.

Deanna_T

[4]Jul 25, 2006
    LOL...Nemsis was so bad I dont remeber it! same with Insurrection. I only forgive Nemis only because Will and Deanna get married and the movie had some to it.

DistantWords

[5]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 7

Geeze, looks like I'm the only one who actually LIKED Insurrection.  I thought it was a great movie and true to the TV show...

For me, Nemesis takes the cake for the most pointless TNG movie.  If we were saying ST movie all together, it would be a tie between The Motion Picture and..  Whatever 5 was called...

lobomensch

[6]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 51
    "Nemesis" was just vomit. Think the best summary I have ever seen of it was posted on stardestroyer.net, it mentioned every single stupid thing about it. The same writer also has a great dissection of "Insurrection" as well. Actually, all the NG movies save "First Contact" sucked. That recycled BoP shot in "Generations" was the icing on the crap cake, how damn cheap can you get?

lobomensch

[7]Jul 25, 2006
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier had more character depth than any stupid scene Berman wrote for the NG movies -- Deanna and Beverly making boob jokes, please. And Star Trek: TMP, though recycled in plot, made a helluva lot more sense than that illiterate drivel called "Nemesis." Picard "clone," Remans, Dune Buggies, Troi getting mind-groped again... so many reasons this sucked can't list them all.

DistantWords

[8]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 7

Sorry, didn't mean to take this off topic.  And even more sorry for continuing, lol...

The Final Frontier was just painful to watch (so was Nemesis of course), but it just tried TOO hard to be funny and made no sense.  Finding God, big huge "wall" in space..  Meh.  As for TMP, it just bored me.  WAY too slow, and the opening credits wen on for like 10 minutes!!!  Been meaning to watch it again, just because it's been so long.  But, can't bring myself to yet..

lol

I liked Generations too though.  1, 5 and 10 are the only ones I couldn't care less about...

Generations might have killed off Kirk, but, he would have been dead by that time anyway most likely...  And we got to see the Duras sisters die (THAT, if nothing else, was worth it).

nuclearbandito

[9]Jul 26, 2006
    • level: 17
    lobomensch wrote:
    "Nemesis" was just vomit. Think the best summary I have ever seen of it was posted on stardestroyer.net, it mentioned every single stupid thing about it. The same writer also has a great dissection of "Insurrection" as well. Actually, all the NG movies save "First Contact" sucked. That recycled BoP shot in "Generations" was the icing on the crap cake, how damn cheap can you get?

With the bird of prey, it's like with the dominion war scenes. If Paramount can save money by recycling images (the klingon attack wave moving in during the massive battle in 'What You Leave Behind, Part I'), they're going to.

I am not taking Paramount's side in what they do. Paramount still sucks for cancelling Enterprise.

lobomensch

[10]Jul 26, 2006
    It's one thing to recycle images on a weekly series where people may not see the same image over the course of weeks or months. It's another when you recycle the shot -- in the same dramatic context -- from one movie to the very next -- that is just plain stupid and cheap, period. As much money as they sank into the movies that F/X shot could've been a new one. It's too noticeable when you have people that watch the movies only, in some instances, especially.

Tronman100

[11]Jul 28, 2006
    • level: 11

Troi does get mind-raped a lot, doesn't she?

And Donna Murphy is pretty hot. I liked Insurrection because it was funny, First Contact because of the action, and Generations probably because it was the first Trek movie I ever saw. I only saw Nemesis once and don't suspect I'll ever watch it again. I did keep my movie ticket because they spelled "Nemesis" wrong
    Edited on 07/28/2006 2:26pm

lobomensch

[12]Jul 28, 2006
    That was Troi's only role as far as Berman was concerned, sextoy/victim. Luckily, that white party dress she wore in "Man Of The People" made up for years of bad writing.

akumag2

[13]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 1
    Insurection was the worst of all TNG movies. Nemesis was bloody awsome, 2nd behined First Contact in TNG movies.
    There were only two bad point in Nemesis, 1 they bloody killed Data off and 2 it focused on boring Riker/Troi relationship, I always hated episodes that focused on that and more so any time time had to be on screen weather she had to talk or not.

Im just going though each episode of all Star Trek incarnations from the beginning, only have 2 left, and I have to say "Troi is boring" "Troi & Rike are even more boring".

I wish people would leave Nemesis alone, it was a million times better than Insurection, which was only half as bad as ST:V

heeroyuy2006

[14]Jul 31, 2006
    • level: 8
    The only real point to Generations was to introduce the TNG crew into the movie series. It was okay, but to me, it was my least favorite of the TNG movies. It did give Data emotions, the Duras sisters died, and the Enterprise D was destroyed (which was good only because it allowed us to get such a great looking sucessor, the Enterprise E). First Contact was great. Insurrection was pretty good and was fun. Nemesis was a retread of Wrath of Kahn, Undiscovered Country, and a few TNG episodes. It had it's moments, but it wasn't that imaginative. However, I did like the Romulans finally getting a movie. I also liked the Remans. I hope if there's a movie/series/miniseries that takes place after Nemesis that it will elaborate on the relationship between the Romulans and the Federation.   Oh yeah, I absolutely love that Riker is finally getting a ship of his own and is about to marry Troi.  Of course, the only real reason he waited 15 years for a ship of his own is because he wanted the Enterprise after Picard is promoted or retires, but since it seems unlikely that Picard is going to retire or accept a promotion to Admiral anytime soon I guess that's why he decided to accept command of the Titan.  By the way, I really hope to see a movie/series/mini-series based on the Rikers' adventures on the Titan and I hope eventually he does get the Enterprise, even if it ends up being the Enterprise F.
    Edited on 11/28/2006 2:16pm

Deanna_T

[15]Jul 31, 2006
    I enjoyed Data having emotions in generations, and my fav. part of the movie was when the D nose dived in the trees and with a really good camera angle with everything falling down and what not. Data starts to "cry" or some thing and Troi looks right at him and asks "What's wrong Data?!" and he replys "I found spot!"...I started cracking up. I also enjoyed when the Duras sisters died in a really cool battle and when the battle is over, Data starts shaking his hand saying "yessss" in a very silent room and everyone is just looking at him...classic.

IMO, Nemesis, was an improvent over INS. Mainly because it was Romulan movie, Shinzon was brillant, Troi/Riker wedding [I'm a girl, and I kinda like sappy love stories with nice endings], and yes, the movie did have it's moments...what I remeber from it because I tuned out though most of the movie with no plans to see it again.

JavaJunkie4Life

[16]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 25
    Having seen all four TNG movies i would say 'Generations' is my least favorite movie and in my opinion the most pointless. The rest of the three are ok. I say 'ok' because I'm still pissed that Beverly and Jean Luc never hooked up/ got married.

LtAgathon

[17]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 3
    I liked them all actually, I just think Insurrection had the least amount of purpose.

heeroyuy2006

[18]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 8
    JavaJunkie4Life wrote:
    Having seen all four TNG movies i would say 'Generations' is my least favorite movie and in my opinion the most pointless. The rest of the three are ok. I say 'ok' because I'm still pissed that Beverly and Jean Luc never hooked up/ got married.

While it's unlikely, it's not impossible that a Crusher/Picard romance could happen in a future series or movie.

bigds9fan

[19]Sep 19, 2006
    • level: 3
    Liked all of the TNG movies and I did not feel that any of those movies were pointless.

Dink-n-Flicka

[20]Oct 10, 2006
    • level: 4
    Insurrection was pretty bad but Nemesis was AWFUL. Data was the lucky one there.

Hey, we found another android. Let's put him together and see what happens! That action has never brought us harm before, has it?? Do the people that write these movies ever watch the show?