Most pointless TNG movie?

Vortex8472

[21]Oct 12, 2006
    • level: 9
    They really know how to disappoint, the people at Paramount and especially Rick Berman. I always looked forward to seeing the TNG crew on the big screen, but unfortunately it was not as imaginative and, well intelligent as the show was. Except for First Contact; I loved the acting and the back story was so dark and it was full of action.

I liked the other films, but not as I would have expected, they were inconsistent and lacked the overall story arc the TMP films had; remember Kirk's desire to commmand, Spock's soul searching and Bones witty commentary throughout all six films, we had something to look forward to in those days. It was fun.

I wish they would have a Star Trek trilogy featuring the cast of TNG, DS9 and Voyager; it would be amazing to see the potential of the Star Trek Universe as entertaining as it is in its true form on the Big Screen; with intelligence, ingenuity and imagination, don't forget classic starship and Worf Bat'leth action go along with it.

Ohhh if only it were more than a DREAM!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JavaJunkie4Life

[22]Oct 12, 2006
    • level: 25
    heeroyuy2006 wrote:
    JavaJunkie4Life wrote:
    Having seen all four TNG movies i would say 'Generations' is my least favorite movie and in my opinion the most pointless. The rest of the three are ok. I say 'ok' because I'm still pissed that Beverly and Jean Luc never hooked up/ got married.

While it's unlikely, it's not impossible that a Crusher/Picard romance could happen in a future series or movie.

Yeah i guess it is possible. But, i've read a TNG book (Death in Winter, which is great btw) and they get together in that so it's all good. So I got a temporary fix anyway lol.

before_the_dawn

[23]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 4
    DistantWords wrote:

Geeze, looks like I'm the only one who actually LIKED Insurrection. I thought it was a great movie and true to the TV show...

For me, Nemesis takes the cake for the most pointless TNG movie.

I couldn't agree more! I thought that Insurrection was very true to the original Gene Roddenberry ideal. I was actually surprised that Rick Berman was involved and crafted something close to Gene's vision. The movie itself was meant to be about ethics and morals and the soul of the federation, not just about blowing things up and grand space battles. It was a true testament to the TNG crew too, getting to see them bond together and defy orders. There were some great scenes, and the story was well paced and well acted. It's honestly one of the few Star Trek movies that I can watch from open to finish and enjoy it all.

I think Nemesis was really pointless. As another poster said, it was a complete rehash of "Wrath of Khan", and "Undiscovered Country". It was completely uncreative and lacked severely on many fronts. There were some positive sides, however, like seeing more of Beverly for a change in the movies, and getting a more Romulan driven movie was nice to see, especially the progression of them coming to aid the Federation. But overall I really felt that Trek, in this incarnation, was suffering from a split-personality dysfunction. It seemed to go against the characterization and everything we've known about our beloved TNG crew over the years.

Heroes0718

[24]Oct 20, 2006
    • level: 11

I think Insurrection was the weakest with Nemesis a close follow. Nemesis was my first exposure to Star Trek and it took a few years for me to watch the show on Spike (BTW, I only have season four left and I've seen every episode...give or take a few). First Contact and Generations were the best.

thawkth

[25]Oct 21, 2006

Two points.

First, Berman is done - wahoo! If I've heard correctly, CBS/Paramount CANNED him. His contract is finally up. Hallelujah, let the fans rejoice! He won't have any say in the next movie - I'm sincerely hoping it's decent.

Anyway, I think Nemesis was sorta bad, Generations sorta boring (it feels like a slower TNG ep with better effects that's twice as long). First Contact is the best, and I think I've seen Insurrection the most times (only because I had HBO for a time and I was a teen that played sick contstantly - put the two together!)

I've finally aquired all of the movies, so maybe it's time to watch them all again. Been meaning to, but I'm the only trek person I know (which is SAD) in Chicago (I'm new to the area) - and while Trek has always been a solitary experience to me, I think it would be SO MUCH BETTER to watch it with others who can appreciate it.

Ok, this is long enough. Thanks for reading

T

lobomensch

[26]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 51
    I think Chicago has a big con for Trek and other fans, ChiCon... Maybe you can find someone interested in your area on the forum boards for that.

startrekkin

[27]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 2
    I have to say that I liked all of them, granted that they weren't all the best.  I guess the two low ones for me would be Generations (but I have to watch it again, it's been a while) and Nemesis.  Btw, what was up with Adm. Janeway in the movie?  She looked bad.

lobomensch

[28]Oct 21, 2006
    Wearing that ugly grey-toned uniform (a poor man's copy of the B5 Minbari-made uniforms) that was pushed in both ST: Indigestion and then on DS9 didn't compliment her at all.

sesza

[29]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 12
    Insurrection was definitly the most pointless Trek film. Lousy plot, inconsistent character development....and why was Worf there?! It felt more like an episode then a movie. Really not a good thing. :S

lobomensch

[30]Oct 21, 2006
    Indigestion also had some of the worst dialogue of the whole series. It was really humiliating watching Troi and Beverly telling boob jokes, both for fans and for their characters, am sure Marina and Gates cringed when they first saw those lines.

hawk-hunter

[31]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 1
    Insurrection was pointless but entertaining.  However,  Generations, First Contact, and Nemesis was better!

citystar1

[32]Nov 23, 2006

"Nemesis" without a doubt. It had a start and a finish but no middle ground in the plot!

kirke_novak

[33]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 9
    Oh God, was there ANY movie worse than "Nemesis"? It was crap, to put in bluntly. I enjoyed "Insurection", it wasn't brilliant but it was watchable, as well as other STTNG movies but Nemesis? So boring and pointless I wonder what was the point at all... ah yes! Killing Data, the most beloved ST:TNG character.

Hitman4Hire

[34]Nov 27, 2006
    • level: 2
    You are all joking right? Everyone lists such and such movie, but no one even mentions The Journey Home? WTF? I mean really, they are trying to find a damned whale to save the earth. All I remember from that movie was Spock trying to blend in as a human and a bunch of whales. And what happened to that nerdy girl they brought back with them? I mean really, time line corruption anyone? Generations was amazing because it was teh TRUE Series finale. All Good Things was great and all, but Generations was the true close of the series. And then First Contact was epic because it was the begining of the entire Star Trek saga, not just TNG. Insurrection felt like it was an enlarged episode of the show, which was good AND bad at the same time. And I actually liked Nemesis. It was fun, and it was meaningful with Data's final act of evolution into humanity. Though after I started reading all the errors online... (WTF WESLEY!) I started to get annoyed by how inconsistent the entire thing was. All in all, Journey Home was the most pointless of the movies...and yeah I just now noticed that this was about the TNG movies, so um...Insurrection was pointless i guess, or nemesis. But not as pointless as the journey home.

skaizun

[35]Nov 28, 2006
    • level: 20
    Of course, this thread implies that there was ever a good ST:TNG movie!

neishi-boi

[36]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 18
    The only good one (in my opinion) was First Contact - I just couldn't get my head around the other three

lobomensch

[37]Dec 27, 2006
    I couldn't stomach them, let alone get head around them.

neishi-boi

[38]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 18
    Could be that I prefer action scenes compared to dramatic ones - but then, I'm probably not the only one who does...

lobomensch

[39]Dec 27, 2006
    I just prefer a plot that doesn't have a collection of cliches, whether it's running to save a brat's pet, having an "evil clone" out to get you, falling into the umpteenth time-space-paradox etc., garnished with technobabble.

aspettig

[40]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 7
    sesza wrote:
    Insurrection was definitly the most pointless Trek film. Lousy plot, inconsistent character development....and why was Worf there?! It felt more like an episode then a movie. Really not a good thing. :S

I agree. Insurrection is definitely the worst of the four TNG movies. I would like to say, however, that Generations is my favorite of the four, but that might be because seeing that movie was my first exposure to TNG, so it has some sentimental value for me. *wipes away a tear*