TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Most pointless TNG movie?

ElJorro

[41]Jan 2, 2007
    • level: 7
    DistantWords wrote:

Geeze, looks like I'm the only one who actually LIKED Insurrection.  I thought it was a great movie and true to the TV show...

For me, Nemesis takes the cake for the most pointless TNG movie.  If we were saying ST movie all together, it would be a tie between The Motion Picture and..  Whatever 5 was called...

No. I liked Innsurection. But I have never seen nemesis
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pjhasham

[42]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 17
    The best things about Insurrection were that addressed a compelling ethical issue, (like some of the best episodes of the series,) and some decent shootouts and dogfights. Some of the jokes were truly lame however (especially Data asking Worf if his boobs had started to firm up), and it includes the three biggest signs of a bad Star Trek movie: an odd number, a director appearing in it, and singing (see http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/StarTrekInsurrection.html)
    As others have said, Generations, First Contact and Nemesis were all pivotal in the series, and even Nemesis was exciting with the final dogfights, the car chase and the shootout on the Schimitar - IMO the 4th best in the series, after 2, 8 and 6. Insurrection, however, would come about 8th.

forensic_fan

[43]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 14
    I don't think that any of them were pointless but if I had to chose one I would say Generations - not my favourite Star Trek movie.

crl22

[44]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 1

I'd say Insurrection. It was badly-written, had truly terrible dialog, and had the feel of a low quality TV episode, but at least it tried to be true to the underlying moral sentiment of the TV series. Generations wasn't very good; it dragged along, and surely they could've come up with a better way to include Kirk than they did. My feelings about Nemesis are pretty varied. On one hand, it had outstanding special effects and the Romulans, but on the other, it had stupid parts such as B-4 and Troi's "mind-violations". I think that there was too much emphasis on the action scenes and not enough on the characters.

Does anyone else think that the next movie should be a TNG movie instead of a TOS prequel? It seems to me that a *well-written* TNG movie that presents a real moral issue and in which each character plays an important role could bookend the TNG series and revitalize the Trek franchise. I worry that the prequel might be the nails in the coffin for Trek. The recent dearth of Trek would certainly make a final TNG movie all-the-more appealing.

Edited on 03/24/2007 10:45pm

pjhasham

[45]Mar 5, 2007
    I'm looking forward to the TOS prequel, especially with the rumored cast: Matt Damon as Kirk, James McAvoy as Scotty, Gary Sinise as McCoy, Daniel Dae Kim as Sulu. But I want the next one to be an Enterprise movie, set somwhere between the last two episodes to keep Trip in it.

Vantox

[46]Mar 6, 2007
    heeroyuy2006 wrote:
    The only real point to Generations was to introduce the TNG crew into the movie series. It was okay, but to me, it was my least favorite of the TNG movies. It did give Data emotions, the Duras sisters died, and the Enterprise D was destroyed (which was good only because it allowed us to get such a great looking sucessor, the Enterprise E).

Oh, Heck yes!

sporkman5353

[47]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 18
    Generations brought an true end to Kirk, Nemesis ended the saga of the show, and first contact just kicked ***. So insurrection, its kinda obvious.

jrsgalaxy

[48]Aug 28, 2007
    I do belive Insurrection was stretching trying to impress new viewers too much. Since when was Data a flotation device? And Worf barely going through puberty. H e should have gone through that a long time ago. And as for Nemesis being the first TNG movie i saw at theatres, I was so excited, well lets just say I literally fell asleep halfways through. And thats not a metaphor or excagerration. My cousin who went to see it with me can attest, I l actually did doze off during the movie.

jrsgalaxy

[49]Aug 28, 2007
    I thought that Insurrection was very true to the original Gene Roddenberry ideal. The movie itself was meant to be about ethics and morals and the soul of the federation,

i agree . it was very close to Gene roddenberry's ideals and concepts. But I find it very hard to believe that only Picard can see that the Sona are evil. Only he can come to the aid of the Ba'ku while Starfleet and the Admiral are blind to that .For some reason it reminds me of a Wesley episode like "The Game" where everyone blindly embraced the eyepiece game where only wesley thought of checking it out first. I dont know thats what i think of that.

Richiebcfc25

[50]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 47
    insurrection was just plain boring but IMO first contact was the best star trek film ever and that includes all the old star trek films

pjhasham

[51]Aug 28, 2007

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    I do belive Insurrection was stretching trying to impress new viewers too much. Since when was Data a flotation device? And Worf barely going through puberty. H e should have gone through that a long time ago. And as for Nemesis being the first TNG movie i saw at theatres, I was so excited, well lets just say I literally fell asleep halfways through. And thats not a metaphor or excagerration. My cousin who went to see it with me can attest, I l actually did doze off during the movie.

Um, you do realise that Worf was only shown going through puberty because they were on the fountain of youth planet don't you? And other than Data's line about his boobs, the story arc was better than most of the other characters.

I found a review of Insurrection at rinkworks that made me laugh a lot. Here's the first paragraph:

Rinkworks wrote:
    When your first ship-to-ship combat scene hinges on a Data/Picard Gilbert and Sullivan duet, you really should consider firing all of your writers. If you got far enough into production with the script in this form to actually get a sample of what a Brent Spiner/Patrick Stewart duet would sound like, you really ought to consider firing yourself. If you not only film the scene, but decide to allow Michael Dorn to sing backup, you really need to be shot. If nothing else, director/first officer Jonathon Frakes/Will Riker deserves an award for working in the Trek universe for a decade without ever picking up anything that might lead him to the conclusion that such a scene would be a really freaking bad idea. No wait, I meant "swift kick in the nads" not "award."

It later mocks the fact that Worf has no reason to be on the ship or to stay on board.

Edited on 08/28/2007 1:08am

lyghthouse

[52]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 8
    pjhasham wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the TOS prequel, especially with the rumored cast: Matt Damon as Kirk, James McAvoy as Scotty, Gary Sinise as McCoy, Daniel Dae Kim as Sulu. But I want the next one to be an Enterprise movie, set somwhere between the last two episodes to keep Trip in it.

I haven't heard about this, but it does sound good.

rickyn2

[53]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 22
    I don't want any more prequels, I don't think they work. I want to see what happens next, not before. Would really like a movie with some of the VOY cast in it.
    Edited on 08/28/2007 11:32am
    Edited 2 total times.

jrsgalaxy

[54]Aug 28, 2007
    [QUOTE="pjhashamQUOTE]

Um, you do realise that Worf was only shown going through puberty because they were on the fountain of youth planet don't you? forgotten about that. probably been 6 years since i last saw it

pjhasham

[55]Aug 28, 2007

lyghthouse wrote:
    pjhasham wrote:
    I haven't heard about this, but it does sound good.

Just so you know, none of them are confirmed, but I can tell you that Zachary Quinto (Sylar on Heroes and Adam Kaufman from 24 Season 3) will be playing Spock, and Anton Yelchin, who I personally have never seen in anything will be playing Chekov.

Interesting that, besides Gary Sinise, most of the rumored cast aren't that much younger that Shatner and Nimoy when they were on the original. Yelchin is only 18 though and Sinise is in his 50s.

sporkman5353

[56]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 18

Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    insurrection was just plain boring but IMO first contact was the best star trek film ever and that includes all the old star trek films

First contact and wrath of khan were tied for me.

aspettig

[57]Sep 25, 2007
    I really loved Generations. Other than that, the other movies were fine, and I think that they all served a purpose.

alex20020712

[58]Sep 27, 2007
    aspettig wrote:
    I really loved Generations.

That was you?

aspettig

[59]Oct 2, 2007
    alex20020712 wrote:
    aspettig wrote:
    I really loved Generations.

That was you?

lol.

belial_77

[60]Oct 2, 2007
    Insurrection was the most pointless.. it brought nothing new to show but bad writing... it seemed like a really long episode of the series with slightly better fx... I don't care if it was closer to Gene's vision... In fact most my favorite things about Trek in general are things Roddenberry would not have liked... Section 31 being the first thing that pops to mind...