Most pointless TNG movie?

Scorptilicus

[61]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 9
    I would say Insurrection, without a doubt.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MattRker

[62]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    Insurrection.

psychomgs

[63]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 4
    Insurrection. NOTHING of any importance happened and it was mostly a two nap.
    Although Nemesis was a far worse film.

Frankburnsflagg

[64]Nov 11, 2007
    • level: 13

Nemesis was the most pointless TNG movie, due to the bad special effects, bad camera lighting, and make up. I was ashamed that they couldn't have done a better job in those departments. The plot itself was better than those things, it was far from perfect, but it wasn't horrible in my opinion.

greenbat22

[65]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 2
    Nemesis. As the final TNG film, it didn't give nearly enough regard to the entire cast. The plot was weak and too dependent on action.

peachtoast

[66]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    Insurrection was the worst TNG movie followed by Nemesis. The plot just didn't make any sense and was just not believable. Not that Nemesis made any sense either.

DarthUltima

[67]Feb 10, 2008

I liked Insurrection. It wasn't the best out of the TNG movies (First Contact takes that one hands down), but it was still a good Trek movie. Generations sorta felt like an episode of the tv show and lacked a movie-feel, but I still liked that one as well.

Nemesis was poor on both writing and directing, borrows almost all of it's ideas from other Trek films and shows, and has far, far too many plot and cannon errors.

What drives me nuts about both Insurrection and Nemesis was the fact that Worf has no reason to be in either film. He just sorta...shows up, with no explanation being given and his ending in DS9 being completely disregarded.

Edited on 02/10/2008 11:23am

locke-ness

[68]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 11
    Insurrection was IMO the worst. Didn't Frakes decide to try to change it from a psychological Picard-centric flavored plot to more of an old fashioned action movie? It had a lot fo potential, but it just wasn't brought together right. I think a lot of that had to do with the decision to try to make it a popcorn action movie (that is aside form the writers).
    Edited on 03/26/2008 11:20am

Fanible

[69]Apr 7, 2008

I'm in agreement with most of everyone else. It was also quite a blow after First Contact was such a fantastic film. Going from that to Insurrection killed me a little inside.

And I've said it a thousand times before, and I'll say it again. It's complete ludicrisy that there wasn't a movie starring Q, or at least had Q in it.

locke-ness

[70]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 11
    I agree. If they knew that Nemesis would be the last film, they shoulod have put Q in it. it actually would have made a better plotline to explore Picard's inner demons. Q was always a good vehicle for that.

sporkman5353

[71]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 18
    Well, this thread isnt asking the worst film, but the most pointless. Nemesis had a point. It ended liveaction tng (well atleast for now) If insurrecton were to never be made then well what wouldve been the effect, pretty much nothing

MajLorne

[72]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 21

Imo, Generations was the worst of the TNG movies. Overall that dishonor goes to Final Frontier.

Now granted Generations had Kirk, but why would you bring him back just to have him die? Why not keep him alive and let him retire or something? That's a big dishonor to the TOS fans. Now granted they got rid of the Enterprise D, but the way it was destroyed was just so weak, I mean Klingons? After the encounters with the Borg, a renegade group of Klingons destroys the Enterprise D? The only good that came of that is the gorgeous Enterprise E.

Now I don't understand why some people are hating Insurrection, granted it was weak compared to 1st contact, but it was still enjoyable.

Nemesis sucked because they let some outsider who knew squat about TNG to direct it rather than let Frakes direct again. Frakes directing the Star Trek movies was the best thing since Nemoy directing or whatever involvement in movies 4 and 6. That's why Nemesis sucked. Plus of all characters they killed off Data, whose death was significant, but somewhat cheapened due to that B4 predecessor being around. I mean I dunno if Picard should've died on the ship, but at least it would've given him a heroic send off and allowed Frakes to take command of the Enterprise.

Final rant, I just hope the Titan is a Prometheus class ship, that ship looks pretty cool and hasn't really had much of a role other than the one episode on Voyager.

Edited on 06/10/2008 7:33pm

ascaffo

[73]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 23

I didn't really care for for Insurrection. But, I do have to say that I don't ever expect a lot from TV to the big screen. They are almost always disappointing. It is just something that has to be born. I watch, like most others, to see my friends again. Yes, sappy as that is- they are like friends. I don't think any of the movies were down right trash. They just left something to be desired.

The J J Abrams version may be different. I expect it will be completely different. I have to wonder if it will stick to cannon. It will be interesting to see. I am sure I will be there opening day.

VulcanTwin

[74]Aug 13, 2008

The problem with Insurrection is the planned Prime Directive violation by the Federation. One would hope that could only happen if the leaders had been "brainwashed" or "taken over" as in TNG episode No. 25, "Conspiracy". I liked the fact that we learn the Bai'ku and the Son'a were related (like the Vulcans & Romulans!...deja vu)

Parts of Nemisis were bad (Star Trek and singing should not coexist ...and doesn't anyone remember the problems with Data's other brother?), and there were timeline errors, but I liked the clone idea, and Tom Hardy did a BRILLIANT job in the role of Shinzon. Loved the Kamakazi move by the Enterprise into the Scimitar.

neishi-boi

[75]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 18
    I enjoyed Insurrection, but I would also agree that it really had no point other than being a two-part episode brought to the big screen.

Still, Patrick Stewart makes it worth the watch...

stvoyman

[76]Feb 25, 2009

Most pointless movie: Insurrection.

By a MILE.

pferreira86

[77]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 17
    I have to say that First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis didn't really do anything for me.

seto1

[78]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 16
    Insurection was the worse omg.

Batfreak99

[79]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 2
    Insurrection.

Why did they even bother making it?

uk6strings

[80]May 22, 2009
    • level: 13

I enjoyed all of the Next Generation films....

Generations is flawed because the Nexus thing has no real logic to it and is nothing but an obvious plot device able to do everything and anything to get Picard & Kirk in the same film, Data is used for comic relief and is only effective at achieving it about %50 of the time, and the scene with Picard crying is odd (not because Patrick Stewart is an unconvincing crier, it's just not right to see the Captain cry - not very authoritative and all). But it is one of the better films in the Trek series because of the acting, special effects, thoughtful messages, and excellent cinematography from Chinatown cinematographer John A. Alonzo. 8/10

First Contact is just about as flawless as a movie gets - a perfect combination of drama, action, and humor in a Sci-fi thriller. Never has there been a better written or acted character-centered drama than Patrick Stewart's Picard in First Contact, hell bent on getting revenge against the Borg. Plus, the film is very well made and includes a thoughtful theme about the truths of history (as Cochrane is supposed to be a great man according to 24th Century history books, but he really isn't all that great in real life). Jerry Goldsmith's exciting and beautiful score sure helps the film out too! 10/10

Insurrection gets a bad wrap: Too much like the show? I don't think so - it's plenty cinematic to me. Too preachy? Not any more than any other Trek film - especially The Voyage Home and its "SAVE THE WHALES PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR AND CHERRIES ON TOP!" message. Stewart, Spiner, and Dorn are in top form and F. Murray Abraham gives us the best Trek villain the series has seen since The Wrath Of Khan. I think it is an excellent Trek film. 9/10

My vote for worst Next Generation film is Nemesis because while the cast does the best job that they can - and Data's storyline is actually pretty moving - the script is pretty bad, the visual effects are subpar, Tom Hardy is awful as the villain Shinzon, and the studio MADE the producers sign Stuart Baird - a pure action director - to direct the film and not a talented Trek-savvy director like Jonathan Frakes. Not a bad film, just disappointing as all get-out. 6/10