Most Underrated Episode?

AlanShore

[1]Jan 4, 2006
    • level: 3
    What is the most underrated episode of TNG?

My vote goes to "Lower Decks". Very compelling story, and the poker game scene is amazing. "The First Duty" comes in second, despite Wesley, wih great performances by Ray Walston and Robert Duncan McNeill (a pre-Tom Paris role as a sleazebag).

I believe the character of Cadet (later Ensign) Sito appeared in both episodes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lobomensch

[2]Jan 4, 2006
    • level: 51
    I always had good feelings towards "Lower Decks" too, especially the scene where Worf makes Ensign Sito realize that she has been beating herself up too much after her mistake at the Academy from "First Duty".
    I didn't care too much for "First Duty" in how Beverly reacted to the whole situation, fawning over Wes when a real mom would've slapped him for starters. Picard playing "Father Knows Best" didn't help with me either, though the speech he gave regarding the truth was pretty good acting on Patrick's part.
    My vote for underrated would go to "Masks," even though I hear so many people trashing it. I really liked the Mayan/Incan angle of it and Brent got to wear several hats in this episode in acting, thought the whole concept was pretty good, racial memories/legends being passed down and reenacted. Thought this was much better done than "The Inner Light."

AlanShore

[3]Jan 4, 2006
    Apparently you guys feel the same way I do..."Lower Decks" is near the top of the list.

"Masks" was a fun episode, and I agree with your assessment of the concept that it was all about passing down a civilization's memories and rituals. Brent Spiner does a top job with all the characters.

"Hero Worship" is another one I feel was slighted, in which Data is idolized by a young boy, the survivor of a brutal invasion. Patrick Stewart directed that one, and his introspective style works well for character study. He also directed "In Theory", "A Fistful of Datas", "Phantasms", and "Preemptive Strike". With the possible exception of the second one, they're all character-driven episodes.

lobomensch

[4]Jan 7, 2006
    I always thought "In Theory" was pretty weak, especially for Patrick's first effort. Brent especially felt awkward doing this episode, and it shows, not being a part of his character, either. Whatever happened to Jenna anyway? Did she find a new battery-powered friend after that? One can only wonder.

AlanShore

[5]Jan 8, 2006
    I thought the concept of the episode was weak, but Brent Spiner and Michelle Scarabelli really pulled it off actingwise, and Patrick Stewart's introspective direction was just right.

davies78

[6]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 7
    No idea how to spell it something like scisums the abduction episode i loved that one

reachums

[7]Feb 2, 2006
    • level: 9
    I always liked "The Offspring" where Data makes Lal. I always thought it was sad and happy at the same time.

AlanShore

[8]Feb 4, 2006
    davies78 wrote:
    No idea how to spell it something like scisums the abduction episode i loved that one

"Schisms". That was a great episode! The writers made that alien abduction concept seem so plausible that to this day I can't sleep without thinking about it. Seems to be a fan favorite.

I find "True Q" to be the most underrated of the Q episodes. There was some great chemistry between Q and Amanda (moreso than Q and Janeway..eccccchhhhh!).

davies78

[9]Feb 18, 2006
    • level: 7
    I love all the Q episodes.Thay should do a Q spin off series.He could carry a show all by himself.The episode FAMILY was underrated

LithiumAngel420

[10]Feb 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    davies78 wrote:
    The episode FAMILY was underrated

...and with good reason, it sucked.

lobomensch

[11]Feb 18, 2006
    I agree too that "Family" was underrated, especially for the outstanding performance by Jeremy Kemp, one of my favorite character actors, and the introduction of Worf's parents as well. The lines between the Brothers Picard leading to the fight in the vineyard are some of my favorites in the whole series. "Did you come back home so I could look after you again?"
    Anyone with a sibling could identify with that scene.

LithiumAngel420

[12]Feb 18, 2006
    I thought this was a Sci-Fi show. I mean, yes, it did work with all kinds of socio-economical issues... but I would say that this episode was more of a calming follow-up to the "Best of Both Worlds" two-parter. As far as my own personal reasons for watching go, I failed to see the importance of this episode - aside from the intro to Worf's parents (which could have been creatively written into another episode). Yes, "Family" is one I could have done without...

lobomensch

[13]Feb 18, 2006
    Sci-Fi is humanity at it's core. This episode gave good background on all the characters it featured and also did show there was a price Picard had to pay for BOBW even if Starfleet didn't punish him, that being an emotional one. Sci-fi without character development is just kiddie fare, like the old Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers serials.

SRP76

[14]Feb 21, 2006
    • level: 10
    I think "The Big Goodbye" was a good episode that never seems to make any of the TV marathons.

lobomensch

[15]Feb 22, 2006
    I liked "The Big Goodbye" too, even if it did set up the malfunctioning holodeck cliche. The end made you really wonder if he would ever pull up the policeman's character again, pretty sentimental for a hologram.

wingsabre

[16]Feb 23, 2006
    • level: 13
    eventhough "conspiracy" is ranked as one of the top rated shows, i still like to mention it. I think it's good enough to create a whole new series around it. Aferall it's like an impending war.

lobomensch

[17]Feb 23, 2006
    "Conspiracy" would be a good plank for a movie, given how out of ideas Rick Berman is now. Have heard they reappear in DS9 novels, though haven't read those yet.

kirke_novak

[18]Feb 27, 2006
    • level: 9
    I really like 'Up The Long Ledder', makes me laugh every time. I know people don't like it a lot but, despite that it tried to be serious (with all that cloning and stuff) for me, it something you watch to laugh.

lobomensch

[19]Feb 27, 2006
    Nothing like a good foot wash, I agree.

LithiumAngel420

[20]Feb 27, 2006
    lobomensch wrote:
    Nothing like a good foot wash, I agree.

lmao