TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Most Underrated Episode?

belial_77

[41]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 17
    I don't know how "underrated" they are, but I like the more militaristic episodes... "Pegasus" and "Chain of Command" come to mind... it shows a different angel to Starfleet, more like the Navy then NASA... Not to mention, "Pegasus" just reminds me of the Philadelphia Experiment, which has always intrigued me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MattRker

[42]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    I think "I, Borg" is a little underated, especially when compared to all the Borg "epic" episodes TNG and VOYAGER came out with later on.

Paladyn7

[43]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 4

Here are a few, IMO:

The Dauphin

Rascals

Justice

locke-ness

[44]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 11
    I think The Defector is one of the most underrated. Picard at his best -- out smarting the Romulans in a triple cross.

skeeter291

[45]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 60
    The 2 episodes that come to my mind as underrated are
    Loud as a Whisper and The Outrageous Okona.

crothbau

[46]Apr 8, 2008
    Paladyn7 wrote:

Here are a few, IMO:

Rascals

I love "Rascals" for the strong acting from the kids they chose. It ended up being a strange episode, though, in that it was the last regular appearance in the series of Guinan, O'Brien, Keiko, and Ro. They all kind of just disappear after that.

My vote would have to go to "The Neutral Zone." I thought this was a perfect way to bring the Romulans back into the Star Trek universe. The only thing that upset me is they did not connect this episode more explicitly with the Borg, only reserving a brief line that only hard core Trekkers would have caught in "Hide and Q." The subplot with the humans from the 20th century who were cryogenicaly frozen was great too. One of my favourite scenes is when the women first wakes up and looks around smiling at Crusher and Picard and the other humans and then, seeing Worf, passes out. Brilliant!

locke-ness

[47]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 11
    crothbau, What was the line in Hide and Q that connected the "Neutral Zone" to the Borg?

my1sunshine

[48]May 14, 2008
    • level: 12

locke-ness wrote:
    crothbau, What was the line in Hide and Q that connected the "Neutral Zone" to the Borg?

The actual episode was "Q-Who", the first Borg ep, when Data points out that the planetary damage they found in J-25 was identical to the destruction of the outposts along the Neutral Zone.

MajLorne

[49]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 21

"Arsonal of Freedom" mainly because I never would've anticipated the separation of the lower half of the ship from the Saucer section and the solution of Picard agreeing to buy the weapon just so the 'demonstration' would end.

Though I wonder why they didn't use those weapons though, they seemed pretty powerful enough. Then again I wonder how expensive it might've beento buy it even though the race on the planet had all been wiped out and won't be collecting the payment.

Edited on 06/10/2008 7:12pm

pjhasham

[50]Jun 12, 2008
    MajLorne wrote:

"Arsonal of Freedom" mainly because I never would've anticipated the separation of the lower half of the ship from the Saucer section and the solution of Picard agreeing to buy the weapon just so the 'demonstration' would end.

Though I wonder why they didn't use those weapons though, they seemed pretty powerful enough. Then again I wonder how expensive it might've beento buy it even though the race on the planet had all been wiped out and won't be collecting the payment.

Yeah, I bet they would have helped them beat the Borg.

MajLorne

[51]Jun 19, 2008
    • level: 21
    Or at least made major damages to cripple them such as against a borg cube or sphere.
    Edited on 06/19/2008 12:53am

jrsgalaxy

[52]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 14
    I think THe Icarus Factor is an underrated episode,. Riker dealing with his neglected past adds more depth to his character because you see him as this confident and carefree person. Didnt think to look at him that he had these problems with his dad.

Freakshowcrow

[53]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 3

"Starship Mine"

The one where Picard is stuck onboard a drydocked Enterprise during a Barium sweep.

This episode really shows Picard as a badass commando!

MrBCorp

[54]Nov 7, 2008
    • level: 3

One of my favourite episodes and the one that originally brought me into the Trek universe was Timescape. I was young and impressionable and this episode left me in awe. I had never seen anything like it. The sets were bright and colourful, time was going backwards, there were creative concepts and aliens and light beams. I was hooked from here.

"Stardate: 46944.2 Picard, Geordi, Troi and Data return from a Federation conference to find the Enterprise frozen in time and under attack from a frozen Romulan Warbird" (for anyone that can't remember which ep).

pferreira86

[55]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 18

There are some I think are underrated. 'The Royale' gets a bad reputation but it isn't that bad. It really is quite funny and enjoyable. 'Conundrum' is an episode that doesn't get noticed much. It's a shame because it contains a lot great acting, mystery and works better if you've never seen an episode of the show before. 'Transfigurations' is completely ignored when it shows what Star Trek at it's core is all about. 'Where No One Has Gone Before' is a terrific episode with again great acting, cool special effects and well written science-fiction but unfortunately will always be known as the first episode of the show 'that didn't suck'. A shame...

My vote would probably have to go to 'Silicon Avatar' not just for tying up a loose end from Season One but for it's story of futile revenge. It's a sad episode that definitely needs re-examining. There are probably more I could add to this list but I can't think of them right now.

Edited on 12/20/2008 12:54pm

abbaggle

[56]Dec 7, 2008
    • level: 2

"Defector" is one of the best episodes of the series, I had no idea it was under-rated by anyone.

"Conspiracy" was a terrific episode, especially considering it came at the end of a mostly lame first season. Intrigue, mystery, a new and unique alien menace, a surprise bad guy, and even a bit of stop-motion in the mix. The secret meeting of the starship captains was a great moment. It would have been a better season one finale than the lame "Neutral Zone."

stvoyman

[57]Feb 25, 2009

I agree with those who believe 'Lower Decks' is underrated. It was a well-conceived and well-written episode.

These are also underrated IMO:

1. Starship Mine ---- Great mix of action and humor.

2. The Big Goodbye ---- Great holodeck episode with plenty of suspense; one of the best 1st season episodes.

3. The Wounded ----- Great start for the Cardassian/Federation relationship. Especially nice to watch after DS9 featured Cardassians so heavily.

4. The Game ---- Even though it is heavy on Wesley, it is just purely fun to watch for some reason.

5. Power Play ---- This was the very first TNG episode I saw as a kid, so it holds a special place in my heart. Plus evil-Troi is pure delight.

There are so many more, but these are the top 5 that come to my head today.

pferreira86

[58]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 18
    stvoyman wrote:

I agree with those who believe 'Lower Decks' is underrated. It was a well-conceived and well-written episode.

These are also underrated IMO:

1. Starship Mine ---- Great mix of action and humor.

2. The Big Goodbye ---- Great holodeck episode with plenty of suspense; one of the best 1st season episodes.

3. The Wounded ----- Great start for the Cardassian/Federation relationship. Especially nice to watch after DS9 featured Cardassians so heavily.

4. The Game ---- Even though it is heavy on Wesley, it is just purely fun to watch for some reason.

5. Power Play ---- This was the very first TNG episode I saw as a kid, so it holds a special place in my heart. Plus evil-Troi is pure delight.

There are so many more, but these are the top 5 that come to my head today.

That's interesting. I thought Starship Mine, The Wounded and Power Play were considered good episodes. It makes you wonder whether general consensus is as solid as fans think it is when it comes to Star Trek. I did enjoy all those episodes you mentioned. Recently I've even found new respect for The Wounded. I now think it's a terrific episode.

stvoyman

[59]Feb 25, 2009

You raise a good point. I think there are those classic 1st tier episodes that the majority of ST fans will agree are outstanding: Best of Both Worlds, Chain of Command, Yesterday's Enterprise, The Inner Light, etc.

But aside from those top 5-10 episodes, I think most 2nd tier episodes vary amongst all ST fans. I don't think there is a general consensus for tier 2. I also forgot to add the following episodes to my underrated list:

6. The Price - This episode is worth watching again for two reasons: Opened up the door for DS9 (a Gamma quadrant wormhole), and there is a fairly decent sequel to this episode on Voyager (False Profits). I'm sure this episode wasn't as good during it's first run, but now it holds a special place in my heart in ST history.

7. The Next Phase - love the concept, and odd couple Geordi/Ro work well together.

8. Genesis - dark, intriguing, and suspenseful.

9. Man Of The People - One of the better Troi-centric episodes. Marina shines in her performance, and it is a good story concept. I'm not sure why most fans hate this one, other than it being Troi-centric.

10. Identity Crisis - One of the better Geordi-centric episodes. Interesting mystery.

I must say - these aren't really underrated episodes - but I'll always love Frame of Mind, Timescape, Face Of The Enemy, and Parallels.

Edited on 02/25/2009 11:35am

jrsgalaxy

[60]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 14

I always thought alot of season three episodes are underrated. for example

1. Sins of the Father. Great Worf Episode.

2. Captains Holiday

3 . Matter of Perspective. A great written episode plus an excellent use of the Holodeck without making it into another Holodeck disaster episode.

4 . The Ensigns of Command and Who Watches the Watchers are great episodes that make you think and gives us an insight into human nature which is what Trek was created for.

And lastly the Defector. Gives us a great episode featuring a Romulan aboard the Enterprise. It teaches us to help other people despite being different, in this case different species but none the less alludes to the racism that exists on Earth currently. Right now were still in our infancy still separated by skin colors and nationalitys. How are we ever gonna unite if Aliens were to come NS VISIT THIS PLANET. All they would see is civil war and prejudice. Theyre gonna say they cant even come together and accept everyone on thier own planet let alone people from other planets.

Well anyway I thought season three had alot of underrated episodes becasue I find it a very solid season. Mayby later I 'll discuss other episodes from other seasons but for now I'm done.