Network?

Tronman100

[1]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 11

Just something I was curious about....The Original Star Trek was produced by NBC, Voyager and Enterprise by UPN. Did a particular network produce TNG and DS9? Or were they just created by Paramount and then sold off to networks for playing, and is that what the "originally aried in sydincation" means on their respective main pages?

Thanks!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jrsgalaxy

[2]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 14
    I believe my cousin told me he used to watch TNG when they originally being aired on saturdays on NBC.As for DS9 Im not 100% sure, but i believe my aunt used to watch the original airings on Sunday nights late at around 10 or 11 thirty on ABC. Like i said im not positive but i think thats where they came out. Can somebody verify this?

jrsgalaxy

[3]Jun 20, 2007
    did you want to know where they were originally aired or if a Network acquired the license to produce it themselves? I think i misunderstood the question.

Tronman100

[4]Jun 20, 2007
    jrsgalaxy wrote:
    did you want to know where they were originally aired or if a Network acquired the license to produce it themselves? I think i misunderstood the question.

Actually Both, but initially just the latter question.

Chris3123

[6]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    Both TNG and DS9 were syndicated. This means the they weren't owned by any network, and didn't air on a specific network or at any specific time. The episodes were distributed to various individual TV stations, and the stations decided when they wanted to air the show. The networks themselves (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN) had absolutely nothing to do with those shows.

jrsgalaxy

[7]Jul 16, 2007
    Chris3123 wrote:
    The networks themselves (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN) had absolutely nothing to do with those shows.
    yeah but i distinctly remember watching DS9 on ABC at around 11:30pm

Tronman100

[8]Jul 16, 2007
    Chris3123 wrote:
    Both TNG and DS9 were syndicated. This means the they weren't owned by any network, and didn't air on a specific network or at any specific time. The episodes were distributed to various individual TV stations, and the stations decided when they wanted to air the show. The networks themselves (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN) had absolutely nothing to do with those shows.

Alright, that's what I thought. Thanks for clearing it up!

Tronman100

[9]Jul 16, 2007
    But they were still made by Paramount, right?

scifinut99

[10]Jul 21, 2007
    • level: 15
    yes tng and ds9 were owned by paramount and were syndicated which means that they usuly would air on the weekands on one of your local channels.

NiallB31

[11]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 8

Star Trek TOS, VOY, ENT were on Networks meaning that they had a particular day and timeslot. Voyagers was Mondays at 8.00pm for season 1 and 2 and then Wednesdays at 9.00pm for seasons 3 to 7.

TNG and DS9 were on Syndication meaning that Paramount sent ot the episode to each tv station in every area, like one in New York, one in Ohio and then the local stations decided what time that show is aired at but the episode has to be shown by a certain time and has to be broadcasted on that certain date.

pferreira86

[12]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 20

NiallB31 wrote:

Star Trek TOS, VOY, ENT were on Networks meaning that they had a particular day and timeslot. Voyagers was Mondays at 8.00pm for season 1 and 2 and then Wednesdays at 9.00pm for seasons 3 to 7.

TNG and DS9 were on Syndication meaning that Paramount sent ot the episode to each tv station in every area, like one in New York, one in Ohio and then the local stations decided what time that show is aired at but the episode has to be shown by a certain time and has to be broadcasted on that certain date.

I guess they better make sure they don't lose their tapes otherwise that's one quarter of a possible audience gone. Ha, ha! :-)

Edited on 12/27/2011 3:59pm