Question about Universal Translators

jrsgalaxy

[1]Jun 26, 2007
    • level: 14

Im confused at how about universal translators work. if a Klingon and A human are talking the Klingons words are translated to English and the humans words are translated to Klingon so each hears them in their native tongue per my understanding assaid in the 37's in Voyager by the chinese officer " It seems to me as all of you are speaking Chinese" So when speaking to a Klingon you hear them speaking English so how then can you hear them say klingon words or phrases like Ka'plah? CAn someone explain these to me?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tronman100

[2]Jun 27, 2007
    • level: 11
    jrsgalaxy wrote:

Im confused at how about universal translators work. if a Klingon and A human are talking the Klingons words are translated to English and the humans words are translated to Klingon so each hears them in their native tongue per my understanding assaid in the 37's in Voyager by the chinese officer " It seems to me as all of you are speaking Chinese" So when speaking to a Klingon you hear them speaking English so how then can you hear them say klingon words or phrases like Ka'plah? CAn someone explain these to me?

I think a more interesting question is why their lips move as if they were speaking English or Klingon, and why it sounds as though the words are coming out of their mouths and not the translators. In any case, it's just a fictional technology so they make whatever words they want pop out according to what they want.

I think a treknobabble explanation of UT's I read once is that they work based on analyzing brain pattens. So potentially, it can tell if you want a specific word you say translated or not.

Edited on 06/27/2007 6:09pm

banyon

[3]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 5
    jrsgalaxy wrote:

I would think that using Klingon phrases like "Ka'Plah" work like other foreign phrases work in present day language. Phrases like "Faux Pas" or "Coup D'Etat" are used in English without being Anglicized because they have become familiar through cultural interchange.