Questions

TJSpyke

[21]Jan 21, 2006
    • level: 5
    I doubt it, that would mean she would have to go from an Ensign to a Captain in just 3 years(since that episode takes place about 3 years before Voyager begins).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Abriel004

[22]Jan 29, 2006
    • level: 8
    I heard there's supposedly going to be a Star Trek XI: Time Warp that's "in-the-works"(?) Is this true and if so when will the release date/year be for the movie?

BobbyDrake

[23]Apr 23, 2006
    • level: 1
    The Command/Rank Question: Some of the Main characters' rank changes throughout the series. Picard - Captain Riker - Commander (promoted when joining the crew before "Encounter at Farpoint") Data - Lt. Commander (promoted when joining the crew before "Encounter at Farpoint") Troi - Lt. Commander (seasons 1-7) & Commander (from "Thine Own Self" to now) Crusher - Commander La Forge - Lt. Junior Grade (season 1) full Lt. (season 2, when promoted to Cheif Engineer) & Lt. Commander (season 3 to now) Worf - Lt. Junior Grade (season 1 & 2) full Lt. (season 3-7) & Lt. Commander (from "Star Trek Generations" to "Deep Space Nine") Worf might have been promoted to full Commander during "Deep Space Nine's" final seasons, not sure. The order of command in the show is Picard, Riker, Data. Then it is whomever the Captain puts in command (usually the highest ranking command officer) In season 1, it would be Tasha or Geordi. In season 2, after Tasha was dead and Geordi was Cheif Engineer, then it would be Worf. Crusher & Troi rarely commanded the ship even though they have the high rank. See Troi in "Disaster" and Crusher in "Descent". They are not Command Officers. The Janeway Question: Before being Captain of the Voyager, Janeway was the Science Officer on a starship of which Tuvok was also a member of the crew. Ensign Janeway could be a relative of hers. See also "Yesterday's Enterprise" for another Janeway heard over the intercom! The Star Trek XI Question: Yes the next movie is being planned. It is set for a 2008 release. However, only plot rumors (which could change) have surfaced. Produced and possibly directed by J.J. Abrahms.

SRP76

[24]Apr 24, 2006
    • level: 10

Okay, this is probably pointless, since this thread pretty much died and all its previous posters vanished MONTHS ago, but I'll add my two cents anyway.

The debate about "Thine Own Self" and Troi and Crusher:

The rankings and command structures in all the Trek series are direct liftings of United States Naval rankings. Since I served aboard a ship in the U.S. Navy, I can tell you pretty much EXACTLY how this works.

You have "Line Officers" and "Staff Officers". Line Officers are the folks in the direct chain of command. These are the people who are part of the ACTUAL command structure. Staff Officers are NOT part of the command structure. No matter WHAT their rank, these folks do NOT take command (with one exception, which I'll get to).

Staff Officers include your medical personnel, your lawyers (J.A.G. officers), your supply officers. Oddly, Trek only spotlights the medical people, so we'll focus on them.

Basically, just about anyone you see in a BLUE uniform (except your Science people; for some reason, they're given the same colors as medical) is a Staff Officer. They are NOT eligible for command.

Your Line Officers are pretty much everyone ELSE you see on Trek. These guys ARE eligible to take command of the ship. Now, you're thinking, "but, SRP76, they show both Crusher and Troi taking control of the ship and calling themselves 'Bridge Officers' on 'Thine Own Self'! How can what you're saying be true?". I'll tell you how:

When underway (actually, in port, too) there is a "Bridge Watch" (it's a "Quarterdeck Watch", in port). When you see Crusher and Troi having their little go, notice that the regular bridge crew is absent. Their (Crusher's and Troi's) watch is at night (what Data calls the "Night Watch" in the episode "Data's Day"). The command role that these two women are taking is actually a watch STATION, which is called "The Officer of the Deck". This is NOT a command role; it is a simple WATCH STATION, and nothing more. Absolutely ANYONE can stand this watch, and perform this role (well, technically, anyone, even a non-officer, can become QUALIFIED to stand it, but probably won't be allowed to actually STAND the watch). What Troi did during her "Bridge Officer's Test" was basically "get qualified" to stand O.O.D. watch. In the Trek world, such an accomplishment CAN (and did, in this case) carry a promotion, since it IS "above and beyond" the job of a Staff Officer.

The actual Order of Succession in the command structure does NOT include these watchstanders.

The guy in charge is the Captain, the Commanding Officer, the Skipper, whatever. He is a Line Officer.

Next up is the X.O., the Executive Officer, the First Officer. He is second in command. He is the next highest-ranking Line Officer behind the Captain.

After the X.O., you've got the Second Officer. He's the next highest-ranking Line Officer behind the Executive Officer.

Beyond these guys, the order goes down from next highest-ranking Line Officer to next highest-ranking Line Officer.

Which means that, even if a Staff Officer (such as the Doctor) is a CDR (full Commander), and the only surviving Line Officer is a lowly LTJG (Lieutenant Junior Grade), the LTJG takes command of the ship, NOT the CDR.

Now, that exception I told you about: If ALL the Line Officers aboard the ship are unable to take command (usually, this means dead), THEN the Staff Officers begin to take command, starting from the highest-ranking on down.

If all of THEM are gone, the people in the Warrant Officer ranks take over (we NEVER see a Warrant Officer on Trek, to the best of my knowledge).

And it goes ALL the way down: once the Warrants are history, the Enlisteds can finally take command.

Bear in mind, though, that these are NOTHING but formalities; if you ever find EVERY ONE of your ship's Line Officers dead, you don't need to worry about the Supply Officer taking charge. If you get in THIS situation, you're pretty much TOAST.

Well, that was one hell of a lecture! Sorry it took so long.

I hope you guys find this informative!

Edited on 04/24/2006 2:25am
    Edited 2 total times.

LithiumAngel420

[25]Apr 24, 2006
    • level: 4
    Thank you so much SRP! Seriously, I have wondered about the ranks and such for some time. Very informative .

Link2Hyrule

[26]Apr 27, 2006
    • level: 3

If you don't count uniforms from TOS and *shudder* ENT, the Uniform Color Code goes like such:

Red- Command Officers

Yellow- Science & Security Officers, Engineering Staff

Blue- Medical Officers

As to the Command Structure of Picard's Enterprise:

Picard

Riker

Data

Worf

Not sure after that.  For anybody who wishes to argue Worf's position on this list, in the episode (can't remember the name) where Picard and Riker are abducted to look for the Vulcan Weapon, Data was left in charge and Worf was his second-in-command.

lobomensch

[27]Apr 28, 2006
    • level: 51
    And where would Geordi fit in, with your list? On TOS he would've been third in command, behind Kirk and Spock, like Scotty, which made a LOT more sense than the way they kept shifting officers around here like musical chairs.

Link2Hyrule

[28]Apr 28, 2006

They probably go down the list of Bridge Crew before they pick from the other areas of the ship.  With that in mind, I suppose that Geordi would be after Worf.

lobomensch

[29]Apr 28, 2006
    • level: 51
    Nah... Ship's Engineer would take precedence over Chief Of Security, especially if that Security Chief knew nothing of warp mechanics/engine capabilities.

SRP76

[30]Apr 28, 2006
    • level: 10
    Link2Hyrule wrote:

They probably go down the list of Bridge Crew before they pick from the other areas of the ship.  With that in mind, I suppose that Geordi would be after Worf.

No, they don't.

The chain changes from season to season (due to changing personnel), but it can be summed up:

#1. CAPT Jean-Luc Picard

#2. CAPT/CDR Will Riker (regardless of season or movie, he ALWAYS outranks all the other Line Officers.

#3. LCDR Data (no Line Officers other than Riker and Picard EVER surpass LCDR)

Here's where it gets a bit rough:

First Season #4. LT Natasha Yar - at this point, she outranked both LaForge (LTJG) and Worf (LTJG). There were NO LCDRs present, so that narrows it down a little. The other full Lieutenants, such as the NUMEROUS CHENGs (that's Chief Engineers, to you), simply weren't seen and established enough to know whether they were senior to Yar. Since she's the only one who was actually established fully, we'll go with her over the "extras".

After Yar, we've got a problem. We know that Worf and LaForge hold the same rate (LTJG). However, we DON'T know which one is senior (it is NOT mentioned which guy has more time-in-rate). We CAN take a guess, though. While Yar is busy being dead in "Skin of Evil", Worf is eleveted to the post of Chief of Security, but he is NOT promoted to LT. Still same rate as Geordi. While the Away Team hits the surface, both LaForge and Worf are left aboard. LaForge takes command. THIS tells us that LaForge IS senior to Worf. Therefore:

#5. LTJG Geordi LaForge

#6. LTJG Worf

There were officers senior to BOTH guys, but they weren't used because they weren't "stars of the show". You follow that?

AFTER Tasha croaks, she is simply removed from the list, and LaForge and Worf move up into #4 and #5.

In the second season, both LaForge and Worf are promoted to LT. The list stays the same.

Likewise, when LaForge is promoted to LCDR, and Worf is not, he is STILL senior to Worf, and the list AGAIN stays the same.

In fact, although the ranks change, and other people enter the picture (Barclay, Ogawa), the list STAYS the same.

So, the revised list:

1. CAPT Jean-Luc Picard

2. CAPT/CDR Will Riker

3. LCDR Data

*. position held by LT Natasha Yar, until demise

4. LCDR/LT/LTJG Geordi LaForge

5. LCDR/LT/LTJG Worf

*. next highest-ranking Line Officer. LT Reg Barclay should be listed pretty highly out of this group.

After ALL Line Officers, we get:

*. CDR Beverly Crusher (senior to Troi; she has MUCH more time-in-rate)

*. CDR Kate Pulaski (interchangeable with Crusher; BOTH Doctors outrank Troi, regardless of season).

*. CDR/LCDR Deanna Troi

*. next highest-ranking Staff Officers. LT/LTJG Alyssa Ogawa probably sits high on this list (like Barclay in the Line).

After ALL Line, Staff, and Warrant Officers:

*. CPO Miles O'Brien (he's the senior Enlisted shown).

And THEN, all the other crewmembers, in descending order.

Link2Hyrule

[31]Apr 30, 2006
    Link2Hyrule wrote:

For anybody who wishes to argue Worf's position on this list, in the episode (can't remember the name) where Picard and Riker are abducted to look for the Vulcan Weapon, Data was left in charge and Worf was his second-in-command.

Then explain that to me.

BobbyDrake

[32]Apr 30, 2006
    • level: 1
    I believe Data needed Geordi in Engineering in that episode.

I think O'Brien was called or credited as a Warrant Officer once - not sure what that means.

So, since Deanna was a "Staff Officer" in disaster, would that mean ENSIGN Ro should have taken command (because O'Brien is an enlisted man).

GodEmperorJason

[33]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    In the episode mentioned a few posts above, with Picard and Riker captureed (the romulan relic ep) Data does say to Worf that if he continued to act out of line, he would give the Exec. Officer post to LaForge, implying it was a choice on Data's part. I think the main reasons Worf is tapped by Data is
    1. Worf is a bridge officer
    2. Giving Worf the job would be less disruptive to Security/Tactical than giving Geordi the job would be to Engineering.

I am curious though as to whether or not engineering officers would be line or staff.

lwnordrfn

[34]Sep 17, 2006
    Ive just started watching STTNG.

I read the script to an episode called "Violations". There is a part where Troi is recalling an experience involving herself and Riker after a poker party. In this scene she calls Will Riker "Imzadi" Can someone explain what is "Imzadi" ?

darkmistx1

[35]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 2
    "Imzadi" is Betazoid for "my beloved," Troi is a Betazoid.

lwnordrfn

[36]Sep 19, 2006
    Thanks so much !

Stikkio

[37]Sep 20, 2006
    • level: 13
    You should read the book it explains alot in there and it gives a b4 they were on the Enterprise look at Deanna and Riker. I had to get it on audio to hear Jonathans Hunky voice.

lwnordrfn

[38]Sep 24, 2006
    Someone told me about the book. Today on Amazon I found this:- Star Trek "Imzadi Forever" is made up of both Star Trek The Next Generation novels, "Imzadi" and "Imzadi II Triangle." It's two completely different stories with Deanna Troi, William Riker and Worf.

The cover has a picture with part of Troi's face.
    I really want to read this !!!!!I hope its not sad !!!!!

nuclearbandito

[39]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 17
    BobbyDrake wrote:
    I believe Data needed Geordi in Engineering in that episode.

I think O'Brien was called or credited as a Warrant Officer once - not sure what that means.

So, since Deanna was a "Staff Officer" in disaster, would that mean ENSIGN Ro should have taken command (because O'Brien is an enlisted man).

O'Brien was refered to as a Lieutenant in the early seasons.

Worf wasn't a LCDR until Generations. During 'Chain of Command' when Riker's releaved, Data becomes first officer. During 'The Arsenal of Freedom', Geordi (a Lt. JG), was above Worf again.
    I only remember Worf in Picard's chair in 'The Emissary'.
    Edited on 09/24/2006 10:03pm

Vortex8472

[40]Oct 18, 2006
    • level: 9
    I remember that O'brien was posted at Tactical on several occaisions, Although he is simply a "chief petty officer" and transporter chief I think that because of his tactical experience and overall engineering expertise it was justified that he fill in a vital role such as the Tactical station during a crisis or when there were personel issues.