Riker is such a horndog!

sephmerrittx

[1]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 8

I am watching the series for the first time ever now and I am in awe how Riker jumps on any female that gets on the ship! "Up The Long Ladder" is the episode I'm on, and he doesn't waste any time at all on that colonist woman! What's up with that? Is it because of how culture is different in Riker's time that he acts such a way?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 32
    That's just how he acts, Riker is the of the enterprise.

jrsgalaxy

[3]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 14

Yes , yes he is. Riker is essentially another Kirk. Even their names have similiar letters and sounds.

Yaspaa

[4]Jun 15, 2010
    • level: 79
    William T. Kirk
    James T. Riker

dcpgaus

[5]Jun 15, 2010
    • level: 16
    Let's thank the gods that Riker was given the role to latch onto the women - watching Picard do what Kirk did would have been a bit creepy!

jrsgalaxy

[6]Jun 15, 2010
    dcpgaus wrote:
    Let's thank the gods that Riker was given the role to latch onto the women - watching Picard do what Kirk did would have been a bit creepy!
    While Picard did get his fair share of women he was a bit more discreet and reserved about it on the Enterprise. Riker would regularly visit other officers quarters with no shame.

sephmerrittx

[7]Jun 15, 2010
    I am so glad others picked up on this! I just watched Shades of Gray (HORRIBLE episode btw, wow!) and they pretty much paraded clips of every random fling he's on the enterprise thusfar...it was pretty funny seeing Deanna's reaction to his remembering the flings; I don't know why she was being all surprised by Riker feeling sexy even at death's door

And yes, definitely fits for Riker that he's a ladies man, whereas Picard is more of a cold fish (but certainly not immune to women's charms).

Yaspaa

[8]Jun 16, 2010
    Haha, Picard got up to plenty of horndoggy things in his youth though.

jrsgalaxy

[9]Jun 16, 2010
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Haha, Picard got up to plenty of horndoggy things in his youth though.
    Yeah Tapestry proved that! That and picking a fight with 7 foot Nausiicans.

pferreira86

[10]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 17

Originally Riker was written as the main hero of the show which is why the writers had him leading away missions, not Picard. But when the writers saw Patrick Stewart's acting performance as Captain Picard it was found that he could be as much the main hero as Riker so Picard was slowly given more action scenes.

Edited on 06/20/2010 5:52am

Yaspaa

[11]Jun 26, 2010
    When Riker met Data's daughter Lal, he went straight into hound mode. lol

jrsgalaxy

[12]Jun 26, 2010
    Yaspaa wrote:
    When Riker met Data's daughter Lal, he went straight into hound mode. lol
    Oh yeah! I had forgotten about that. Data quickly intervenes and Riker is mortified to hear that Lal is Data's daughter. Doesn't care that she's an Android , (he probably knew that already lol.) only that she is Data's daughter.

sephmerrittx

[13]Jul 5, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

Originally Riker was written as the main hero of the show which is why the writers had him leading away missions, not Picard. But when the writers saw Patrick Stewart's acting performance as Captain Picard it was found that he could be as much the main hero as Riker so Picard was slowly given more action scenes.

I did not know that! You're saying it happens slowly - is there a certain point where fans say "yeah, Picard definitely took the 'main' role in episode ____ and following"? Or was the change so gradual that both characters remained primary? I am only up to episode 9 of Season 3 so far so I can't really say yet.

jrsgalaxy

[14]Jul 6, 2010

sephmerrittx wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

I did not know that! You're saying it happens slowly - is there a certain point where fans say "yeah, Picard definitely took the 'main' role in episode ____ and following"? Or was the change so gradual that both characters remained primary? I am only up to episode 9 of Season 3 so far so I can't really say yet.
    Not to spoil anything , but you can easily see Picard commands any scene he is in. Fans just took to him more because of his terrific acting. It's probably due to his regal voice and shakespearan training. Riker not as much. He was hired to be the stud of the show

Edited on 07/06/2010 3:55pm

pferreira86

[15]Jul 11, 2010
    • level: 17

jrsgalaxy wrote:

sephmerrittx wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

Not to spoil anything , but you can easily see Picard commands any scene he is in. Fans just took to him more because of his terrific acting. It's probably due to his regal voice and shakespearan training. Riker not as much. He was hired to be the stud of the show

Yeah that's what I remember Jonathan Frakes discussing about the development of his character in an interview for Star Trek Magazine some years ago. Compare Season 1 to Season 3. There is quite a difference. In Season 1 Riker is much more shown as a man of action than Picard. Around Season 3 Picard is given more focus while Riker stays more as a secondary leader who just leads away missions without getting into much action. It was a gradual change that occured over the series seven year run. I guess the best example of Picard taking charge would be in Season 6's Starship Mine.

On a side note part of me thinks that Riker's role was reduced slightly when the writers realised that they had two main characters as the lead hero. There's a rather odd climax to 101010101 or whatever it's called where both Picard and Riker team up to stop the Bynars. Two heroes saving the day? I think the writers may have thought there should only be one man of action, one hero.

Edited on 07/11/2010 12:18pm
    Edited 3 total times.

sephmerrittx

[16]Aug 4, 2010
    OH MY! Two things! 1) I watched "The Perfect Mate" for the first time the other night. After he rejects the Metamorph, Riker says "I'll be in Holodeck 4?!" Oh my goodness what's he gonna go do!

2) "The Outcast:" Ummm, Riker in LOVE? In actual LOVE, after all of those little flings on missions? You've got to be kidding me. He even asks for Troi's permission to pursue the relationship. Plus, didn't we just have a Troi episode ("The Masterpiece Society") a few episodes back where she had an infatuation with a local and felt deep regret for it because it violated the prime directive? Shouldn't Riker have the same concern? In LOVE? Wow.

Yaspaa

[18]Aug 6, 2010
    1) Haha, the same thing I'd be doing. I just watched the Q episode with the young blonde Q, she fancies Riker, when he finds out, his big grin was awesome.

nixxtheone

[19]Aug 26, 2010
    • level: 1

Lol!!

djboy77

[20]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 7

I'm not sure I agree. I actually remembered it being that way as well back when I watched it years ago. But when I started re-watching it more recently, I have to say a lot of it is not from his side, but from the women. Sure, he gets plenty of goodies, but most of the time it's not initiated by him at all (Up The Long Ladder is an exact example of that), and on more than one occasion he's turned them down. Some of the time when he initiates, it's as a strategic tactic or diversion anyway, not genuine attraction. I honestly think he gets a bad rap for it. The Kirk comparison is a bit unfair; Kirk chased the tail, whereas the tail tends to chase Riker.

Edited on 12/12/2010 4:46am